• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Farky !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny

6CM Addict
Honorary Member
Apparently Steven Cohen has been hired by ESPN in the US as a pundit. I'll be cancelling my subscription if true

Could find nothing when I did a quick interweb search for any info...

This was on his Wiki page, though: Cohen currently is working with ESPN in an unknown capacity.

Now, there's an American Stephen Cohen who is an expert in all things (American) fantasy sports, and he appears nto have linked up with ESPN recently, so I wonder if there's a little confusion there..?

I'll be disgusted if this is true. I really enjoy ESPN.

P.S. I've registered my disgust with them.

Unfortunately, it is true, it is *him*. May not be officially announced, but he has been spouting off about it on his Twitter page (@chelcfc) if you want to look.

This saddens me to see this braindead idiot gets a job on TV when there are a thousand others that ESPN could have chosen.

Ahhh fuck. Anyone else feel like reading hate mail wishing cancer upon you and yours every month or so? Not sure that I have the time right now.

The reality is that his career was destroyed by this, absolutely destroyed. I'm actually not inclined to assist in hounding him for the rest of his life for this, call me a softy.

He shouldn't have got that job just based on merit, its an absolutely atrocious decision by ESPN. Independent of this vile business, he's a shit pundit without a fucking clue.

He's so unrepentant, bitter and dogged about the whole thing, that he's likely to just step in it again.

It's ESPN US, isn't it? So he wont actually be on our screens here.

That said, I'll back any campaign to get shut of him.

Email campaign's on like Donkey Kong:

Sent to Chris LaPlaca, ESPN's head of communications - chris.laplaca@espn.com. Feel free to use/amend as you see fit.

Other people to sen it to (make sure you amend the addressee name)
chris.k.hong@espn.com Vice President Recruiting & Staffing
tonya.cornileus@espn.com Vice President Learning & Orginizational Development
dean.zirolli@espn.com Vice President & Assistant Controller
brian.ignatowski@espn.com Vice President & Assistant Controller

Dear Mr LaPlaca,

It is with great disappointment that I read reports claiming that ESPN has hired ex-Fox Soccer Channel pundit Steven Cohen.

As you will know, Cohen became embroiled in controversy in 2009 when he claimed that Liverpool fans without tickets were responsible for the 1989 Hillsborough stadium disaster in which 96 people were killed. These claims ran contrary to the findings of the Taylor Report into the tragedy, which established that neither fans without tickets nor drunken fans were to blame.

Cohen's comments and the resulting backlash from football fans - not just those who support Liverpool - caused advertisers such as Heinken to withdraw from sponsoring Cohen's programs. Fox opted not to renew Cohen's contract.

I am urging you to reconsider your position and withdraw any offer you may have made to Cohen. He has demonstrated a stunning lack of judgement and shown that, for whatever reason, he has let prejudice get in the way of established fact. His appearances on television, backed up by the logo of a major television network, would be offensive to those who take seriously Britain's worst sporting disaster.

ESPN proudly claims to be "the worldwide leader in sports". The company is one of the biggest and most respected sports media organizations in the world because of its high-quality approach to sports broadcasting and journalism. It would be a shame is such a reputation were to be sullied by an ill-considered decision to hire a man who has displayed such callous insensitivity.

Cohen may argue that he has a right to freedom of speech and his past airing of controversial opinions should not bar him from future employment. While I would not dispute his right to hold an opinion, let us not subscribe to the fallacy that all opinions are equally valid. The claim that the Hillsborough disaster was caused by fans without tickets forcing their way into the stadium is no less false that the claim that the earth is flat - both have been shown to be untrue. ESPN would be doing itself and its readers, viewers and subscribers a huge disservice were they to allow Cohen airtime.

I hope that you will take time to reconsider Cohen's suitability for your company. I hope that you will take into account the effect that Liverpool supporters were able to have on both Fox Soccer Channel and its advertisers, and realize that hiring Steven Cohen will do nothing positive for ESPN or its customers. I hope that you will realize that the families of those killed at Hillsborough are still battling to discover precisely what happened to their loved ones, and that characters such as Cohen undermine the fight for justice.

Yours sincerely,

If you need any motivation, here's what some manc cunt tweeted him last night & his response:

espitt Eric S. Pittman
@Chelcfc No surprise. Scum of the earth liverpool blogger thinks espn made a mistake in hiring you. Absolute idiots.

He replied with his usual freedom of speech shite,

Chelcfc Steven Cohen
@
@espitt This is America: greatest nation on the planet , everyone allowed their own opinion. But we move on positively & look only forward.

He still doesn't fucking apologise or back down. What a cunt.

Here's mine, sent to all those addressees:

"Dear ESPN,

Steven Cohen

You will already have heard from many other Liverpool FC fans on the subject of hiring Mr.Cohen, so I'll save you the trouble of reading through the same material again, though I'm in total agreement with it. The purpose of this e-mail is to add a number of other names to the list, not only mine but those of the people behind New England Sports Ventures and Fenway Sports Group who, you may recall, now own Liverpool FC. Their commitment to the fans has been a major piece of their forward strategy, so you can safely assume they will be as outraged as we fans are by this decision on your part.

It is now for you to consider the implications of the situation you have created by hiring Mr.Cohen and thereby giving him a platform to air his insulting and long discredited "opinion". Thank you for your attention.

Yours sincerely (etc.)"

I just copy and pasted the one Foxy posted but changed the name/recipient in each one and pointed out that I'd be ending my current subscription to ESPN if action wasn't taken.

( I get it for free but didnt tell them that )

He does indeed, look like he needs a good kicking to me too.

He's also on record as being both a Utd fan, & an Arsenal fan. Unsurprisingly both whilst those sides were winning.

Well that was easy!

Got an email back from ESPN (Chris Laplaca), this morning:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Contrary to earlier reports, Steven Cohen will not be contributing to ESPN.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=46988.msg1407085#msg1407085 date=1317453799]
So was he never there to start with then, or have they had a u-turn?
[/quote]

Well, one would assume there was no contract signed, but he confirmed more than once on his twitter account that he was going to be on ESPN, so it must have at least been agreed verbally.

Yeah, got the same e-mail this a.m.

The cnut chose the dark side when he decided to indulge his anti-Scouse prejudice by peddling his garbage about Hillsborough in the teeth of all the evidence to the contrary. Then he was too stupid and too pig-headed to shut up, let alone to apologise, even for reasons of self-interest when the scale of outrage against him became clear. You can bet he'll still be wallowing in self-pity now, unable to see (or face up to the fact) that he's brought this on himself. Free speech cuts both ways, Cohen, and your goolies just became its deserved victims.

There IS justice in the world sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom