• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Football Rights - Saturday games to be televised

Status
Not open for further replies.

KFC

Active
Premier League: Saturday night games among 200 to be televised from 2019-2020

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42278119
Sharethis page
_98791574_cameras1.jpg

The new deal wil replace the record £5.136bn deal struck with Sky and BT Sport in 2015
Eight Premier League games will be played in a new 19:45 slot on Saturdays under the terms of a new broadcast package from the 2019-20 season.
Broadcasters will bid for rights to show 200 live matches, more than 50% of the league's 380 games and an increase on the current deal's 168.
The new package will also allow successful bidders to broadcast rounds of midweek matches in their entirety.
It will replace the existing record £5.136bn TV deal struck in 2015.
The new kick-off times on Saturdays will likely see matches shown at the same time as prime-time favourites such as Strictly Come Dancing and X-Factor.
All matches in three midweek rounds per season, and one Bank Holiday round per season, will be broadcast live.
The three-season agreement for 2016-17 until 2018-19 represented a 70% increase on the previous £3bn deal.
Sky paid £4.176bn to show 126 matches, including the first Friday evening games and both Sunday packages, and BT paid £960m for 42 games.
No single buyer will be allowed to acquire more than 148 matches per season. The auction for rights is to be held in February, according to reports.
Rights to show free-to-air Premier League highlights will form part of a separate broadcast package.
[xtable]
{thead}
{tr}
{th=colspan:2}What can broadcasters bid for? (all times GMT/BST){/th}
{/tr}
{/thead}
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Package A: 32 matches on Saturdays at 12:30{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Package B: 32 matches on Saturdays at 17:30{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Package C: 24 matches on Sundays at 14:00 and eight matches on Saturdays at 19:45{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Package D: 32 matches on Sundays at 16:30{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Package E: 24 matches on Mondays at 20:00 or Fridays at 19:30/20:00 and eight matches on Sundays at 14:00{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Package F: 20 matches from one Bank Holiday and one midweek fixture programme{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Package G: 20 matches from two midweek fixture programmes{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Odds on Amazon/Twitch to come in and bend over Sky/BT?

Its fucking mad that such a grotesque amount of money simultaneously has lead to fuck all in ticket subsidies and has meant a ridiculous amount of Prem games arent legally viewable from the UK.

Gaggle of cunts.

Odds on Amazon/Twitch to come in and bend over Sky/BT?

Its fucking mad that such a grotesque amount of money simultaneously has lead to fuck all in ticket subsidies and has meant a ridiculous amount of Prem games arent legally viewable from the UK.

Gaggle of cunts.
Twitch? That would be a bit mental.

Their target audience tends to be kids who really don't give a fuck about footy, which is why they're watching other people play games.

I can't see any of the big streamers except maybe amazon doing it as a premium service through their amazon name, not through the twitch brand, but even that would be a stretch.

Amazon are getting into sports broadcasting in the UK with ATP tennis being streamed next year. Rumours are Netflix might consider going into sports also.

Twitch? That would be a bit mental.

Their target audience tends to be kids who really don't give a fuck about footy, which is why they're watching other people play games.

I can't see any of the big streamers except maybe amazon doing it as a premium service through their amazon name, not through the twitch brand, but even that would be a stretch.

Amazon own twitch. The / was simply cause it could be under the prime or twitch branding if it happened

twitch paid 50m us for NFL Thurs night games this year . I would be surprised if they didn't go in for a package of prem Matches. Interaction during sports and Esports alike is a boom market

twitch is effectively the live TV arm of Amazon as things stand

Last edited:
Amazon are getting into sports broadcasting in the UK with ATP tennis being streamed next year. Rumours are Netflix might consider going into sports also.
Really? I missed that.

I assumed we were a couple if years away from that yet.

Tbh though, as our broadband percentage is so much higher than most other countries then I suspect we're seen as an ideal test bed.

watch the game on an Amazon platform - twitch comes with prime and then buy merch through the an integrated twitch extension or purchase skins/banners of your favourite team its a match made in commercial heaven

watch the game on an Amazon platform - twitch comes with prime and then buy merch through the an integrated twitch extension or purchase skins/banners of your favourite team its a match made in commercial heaven
Twitch comes with prime?

Interesting. Not that I have the slightest interest in watching someone else play a video game like, but Luke may like it, he watches dickheads on YouTube doing exactly that all the time for some unknown reason.

Twitch comes with prime?

Interesting. Not that I have the slightest interest in watching someone else play a video game like, but Luke may like it, he watches dickheads on YouTube doing exactly that all the time for some unknown reason.
Tbf I occasionally watch YouTube videos of people playing games. So many I'll never own that i want, I find it interesting

Tbf I occasionally watch YouTube videos of people playing games. So many I'll never own that i want, I find it interesting

I do that sometimes, but usually with older games that I used to play, or missed out on.

Not Twitch though, I want at least a bit of post-production quality and editing, and I don't want to see the person playing it eating Cheetos and scratching his arse.

The only time I watch a YouTube of a game is when I'm considering buying it but I'm unsure even after reading reviews.

Other than that I just don't get it at all. Plus most of them have some whiny voiced cunt jabbering away in the background.

Twitch comes with prime?

you don't have to pay to watch twitch, you just need an account, not even that on the app i don't think but you subscribe and skip ads and get loot etc. I'm sure prime gives one sub a month or it used to, it might just be a one month subscription.

NBA and NHL are both looking at getting in on eSports, like fielding eSports teams affiliated with actual teams, likely within the next year.

Twitch has been used to broadcast poker too I think.

Only a 6cm could turn a football tv rights discussion into a video game chat ha.

I'm totally out of this loop, I have Optus sports here so can watch almost every game live regardless of time including all 3pm games

This deal has the potential to be overkill. The deal could work if the focus is on top clubs and showing their games and not extra 50 games involving stoke vs West Ham.

This deal has the potential to be overkill. The deal could work if the focus is on top clubs and showing their games and not extra 50 games involving stoke vs West Ham.

We need that those games are shown. That part of the money to there. That they are able to complte or else the interest slowly fades away.

Am I being stupid, I thought 17:30 kick offs on Saturday were already being shown, whats the excitement about here?

Edit: Just see the 19:45 Saturday kick offs as well, oh well. Give me 3pm kick offs and we're talking.

Are the premier league just side stepping the 3pm kick offs then? Adding another televised Saturday timeslot will be another opportunity to get a decent game on the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom