• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forest fires

peekay

Very Well-Known
I live in the west coast of US and fires were always something that happened 100-200 miles away. For the first time, I am experience fires in our county and all neighboring counties. We have not seen the sun for 4 days as it was filled with smoke. The sky is orange. Afternoons look like this:

1000.jpeg

We have had power cuts. However, we are unable to open the windows as otherwise the smoke and ash will come inside. I generally don't have any breathing issues and have healthy lungs and even I am finding it difficult to breathe. I cannot imagine the situation for people with asthma and other lung disorders.

The fire is under control and we may not have to evacuate. Still, we have been advised to pack essentials and be ready to leave in minutes. But houses 20 miles from our place have been evacuated including friends and students.

I don't want to appear as complaining as even if the worse were to happen, I would be one of the lucky ones. I have a job and some savings and can get by. There have been several towns in Oregon and California completely razed to the ground with some heartbreaking stories about loss of life and property.

This has definitely given some thoughts for the future when it is supposed to get worse.