• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Full Strength - Still need to tweak the tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwake

Well-Known
I love Klopp and will cry like a man baby when he leaves... but he isnt without criticism!

yes this season sucks, and the injuries and everything else.... But there are some self-repeating negative things this season about our play that I saw last season even during the record-breaking run.

Since we dont have any midfield ball runners/carriers our midfield approach play goes like this.

[insert Liverpool midfielder name here] gets the ball, he attempts to play a through ball over the top or on the floor - opposition team read the pass and block it. Repeat.

And that's because we are predictable. Even last year we were lucky in so many games - teams had figured us out but equally resigned to being sucker-punched by the Robben Effect, "you know its coming but you can't do much about it", we always knew we would get that slice of luck to give us that one game advantage but why do we have limit our selves to that tactic? I still remember the 2-1 memes!

Why doesn't Klopp evolve this team a little? - Get a ball-running midfielder AKA Grealish, or Norwich's Emi Buendía, or put Trent in Midfield, or return Firmino to his REAL position as attacking midfielder? I feel any of these options would make a massive difference to those teams that park the bus. Instead of them expecting the through ball pass as Real did all night long, they would have something else to worry about. We sold Coutinho yes, but we never replaced him.

Im hearing positive things about Harvey Elliot and his ability to beat players so maybe next year we might have someone who can slot into midfield and be 'that guy'. I dont have faith in any of Curtis Jones, Minamino, Shaq, Ox, to fulfill that role. I know everyone wants Mbappe and Haalan but it would make my day to hear we have signed Grealish or someone similar for that role, but then again what's the point if Klopp isn't willing to see that type of play suitable for this team.

Yes, we could get Gomez and VVd back and return to winning ways for sure, but its still not going to change the dynamics of that predictable workman-like midfield. We have to face facts sometimes tactics get found out, I'm not saying wholesale changes but at least tweak it a little Mr Klopp!

I know Coutinho's name is mud around here but I miss those days when he would take the ball from deep and comfortable beat three or four men before laying it off to the forwards. Yes we were terrible at the back but I think we played some beautiful attractive approach play with Cotus in that Klopp team.

Keita should’ve been that player. But he’s dead. And dead shit.

Fucked up our transition and fucks up or budgets.

Keita was a 'compromise player', Klopp (and the rest of us) thought we were getting 2-1 bargain Coutinho and Kante rolled into one....Yes he can beat his man occasionally but that's not his main thing (lord knows what his main thing is? lol), he himself said he was a defensive midfielder 1st. So why is a self-confessed defensive midfielder our best current ball-running midfielder? We have a lot of power running midfielders in our team, but none of them (Keita sometimes aside) can regularly beat his man. Im not saying I would like Pogba but even United have someone who can do that!

Last edited:
Keita was that man, unfortunately sometimes transfers don't work out but he was doing that week in week out in the BL. That's not on Klopp it's just the way it goes sometimes. Klopp is going to persist with him next season and hope he can turn it around.
Although I loved what I saw of Keita when he's playing at his peak that time has come (in the BL) and gone and we should just cut our losses and go for another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom