• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Glen Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox

Very Active
What an improvement we saw from Glen defensively this month for England.

He seemed to read the game really well when tidying up around the back, using his pace to intercept when the Centre halfs were bypassed.

As always a great threat going forward, more than Milner, Young and Cole. Shame he did not score that early chance last night that he started. Also a lovely cross for Rooney to feck up his diving header.

I hate the way fans have been brain washed by the media that Glen is the weak link in the defence and Milner is only there to help him as he cannot defend. He outshone Cole in every game and hopefully this form continues for us next season.

Congrats Glen

I agree. Glojo was probably England's most consistent player in this tournament. The press talk shite about him. He's been getting 6s in their player ratings despite the impresive way he's been playing.

Doc - England's most consistent player I think was Terry.

As for GlenJo, he saved 2 goals yesterday on great last ditch blocks. He had a very good tourney defensively, and let's hope this will continue throughout the year.

Euro is often not the best platform to gauge our players. I remember Milan Baros who could not stop scoring for his country but was hapless and headless for us when he came back!

Doc - England's most consistent player I think was Terry.

As for GlenJo, he saved 2 goals yesterday on great last ditch blocks. He had a very good tourney defensively, and let's hope this will continue throughout the year.

he did the same against Sweden and Ukraine, very good at the last ditch stuff

He's a top player and is one of the best right backs in the league.

We're lucky to have him and Kelly fighting it out for a place in our team.
The only thing Kelly is fighting at the minute is injury and thats a pity. He has so much to offer. I hope the lad improves. Hopefully its all just growing pains.

Personally I thought England's most consistent players were Parker and Milner. Albeit, consistantly shit.

Glen Johnson wasted no time getting over England's Euro 2012 disappointment by hitting a London club just hours after arriving back from Poland and Ukraine.

Defender Johnson was at celebrity favourite Mahiki in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

The right-back and his England team-mates were dumped out of the tournament after losing to Italy on penalties on Sunday night.

Roy Hodgson's side were lucky to get as far as the shootout after the Italians bossed the game and Johnson believes England will never be contenders at a major event unless they learn to keep the ball better.

'We allowed Italy too much possession and when you haven't got the ball you are always working harder than the opposition,' said the Liverpool defender.

'As a result, when we did get the ball, we weren't fresh enough to cause as much damage as we would have liked.

'It's disappointing to be going home like this. The way we were set out and worked so hard for each other meant we were always going to be hard to beat. But as a team, you will only go so far with defending all the time.

'There were times when we gave the ball away cheaply instead of keeping possession and making them work that bit more.

'We definitely need to hold on to the ball better so when we do go forward we will be a bit fresher to cause them more problems.
'A lot of the lads were quite tired, especially in the second half, so there were lapses of concentration.

'The positive is that even though we didn't have much of the ball, it didn't feel as if they were going to score.

'It is a credit to the lads the way we dug in and stayed together when things weren't going our way. But anything can happen once it goes to penalties. It's just unfortunate it didn't go our way again.

'Anyone can score penalties in training but the lads who stepped up to take them in the match showed real character.'

England's bid to reach the World Cup in 2014 starts in September and Johnson is optimistic despite Sunday's quarter-final exit.

He added: 'There are far more positives than negatives. Not many people thought we were even going to get out of our first-round group, let alone win it.

'So to come so close to reaching the semi-finals has to be a positive. We're confident now for the World Cup qualifiers.

'As long as we continue to defend like this and make ourselves hard to beat, we'll be a tough game for anyone.'

England face Montenegro, Ukraine, Poland, San Marino and Moldova in qualifying for Brazil 2014.

It was Lescott.
Although I hate to say it, Terry was truly great for England during this tournament. He appeared subdued but determined, and despite him being a cunt, I felt better for us that he was in the back four. Lescott was similarly very good.
Defense was never the problem. Transition, ball retention, pace, creativity, incisiveness - all those things when faced with having the ball and moving it towards the opposition goal were problematic. i don't think I've seen England play with the ball more shambolically than when they were playing Italy.

Terry, Gerrard and Johnson were easily our best players. Fair play to Johnson, he looked every bit the top European full back. I still think his defending can be suspect, but that was what was all the more pleasing, his defensive work, he bailed us out loads of times.

Terry, Gerrard and Johnson were easily our best players. Fair play to Johnson, he looked every bit the top European full back. I still think his defending can be suspect, but that was what was all the more pleasing, his defensive work, he bailed us out loads of times.

It is ridiculous to leave Lescott out of that trio .. he was a colossus in the heart of our defence and barely put a foot wrong the whole tournament. The plaudits given to Terry for his last ditch tackles don't take into consideration that the one on Balotelli was his own stupid fault in the first place .... for being 3 yds behind the line and playing him onside when Cole and Lescott were thinking WTF how can he be onside ?

It is ridiculous to leave Lescott out of that trio .. he was a colossus in the heart of our defence and barely put a foot wrong the whole tournament. The plaudits given to Terry for his last ditch tackles don't take into consideration that the one on Balotelli was his own stupid fault in the first place .... for being 3 yds behind the line and playing him onside when Cole and Lescott were thinking WTF how can he be onside ?

THIS!!! Several times. Even that supposed goal line clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom