1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Gomez

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by Brizzle, Jul 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brizzle

Brizzle Well-Known Member

What do we think? He was always decent but not exceptional when we were introducing him to the PL at right back. He then excelled when we put him at CB, made himself a starter for England but then lost his place to Matip.

With Clyne injured it looks like we are trying to make him back up RB rather than starting CB again. Feels strange to me.

Given a fresh start to the season I would have Gomez over Matip. Whilst Joel was v good at the end of the season, I think we are forgetting how good Gomez was at the start. I think he has the potential to become the leader of our back line but I'm worried we are making him 3rd choice and risk losing his interest.

Thoughts.

2. momoWASboss

momoWASboss Well-Known Member

Watching Napoli’s first goal makes me want him as the 1st choice to partner Virgil. Matip had a great end of season but I think Gomez is going to be better.

Mystic likes this.
  3. Judge Jules

Judge Jules SCM Addict Member

I don't actually think Gomez was always decent at RB.  Too often I thought he was fairly poor - he's got the pace but not the judgment or positional sense for that role IMO.  Strangely perhaps, he was a lot better at LB when he first got into the side and I wouldn't be averse to him being a back-up option there.

On the overall question whether Gomez should get back into the side at CB, which is undoubtedly his best position, I'd say it depends on how he and Matip go in training.  I agree that Gomez at his best is probably the better player, but for me that doesn't and shouldn't give him a free ride back into the team.  Matip's improvement in the latter part of last season was spectacular and he's currently the guy in possession.  Gomez should have to earn his place back IMO.

Esoteric likes this.
  4. Mystic

Mystic Moderator Moderator

CB, he can fill in on the odd occasion at RB if Trent needs it, but i'd like to see Trent starting as many games as possible on the right, he's too important for our attacking play.

5. Brizzle

Agree with this sentiment but it doesnt appear that we are giving him the chance to. Unless i've missed it (haven't watched most of pre season) we have deployed him at RB not CB so far?

6. ibromurph

ibromurph Well-Known Member

I don't rate him as a full back in the current system. Milner is better.

We changed our style last year, where our FBs are key to some of our attacking play. He's not got the quality service of a Trent or Robbo. He needs to be kept at CB.

And if he's fit, I would play him as the first choice "2nd CB", where he plays most games, especially against the quick teams like Arsenal, United and Leicester. Whereas Matip should be playing against the aerially dominant teams who playing with target men like Brighton and Wolves. Lovren should be drafted in for FA cup and League cup games.

rurikbird, momoWASboss and Frogfish like this.
  7. Judge Jules

True, and for reasons already set out I wouldn't play him at RB except perhaps in dire emergency.  What I meant was that he should have to earn a CB place back by outshining Matip in training and forcing himself back in that way.  I wouldn't be in favour of giving Gomez a CB spot back on potential alone.

Brizzle likes this.
  8. Judge Jules

Interesting post but I wouldn't make that distinction.  If we eventually return to VvD and Gomez as our first choice CB combo I'd be fine with playing them against all comers - Virgil's more than capable of dealing with any target man we come up against.

9. FoxForceFive

FoxForceFive Administrator Administrator

Klopp won't give Gomez CB unless Matip has a bad couple of games.

He works on meritocracy, quite beligerently so, which has the benefit of making all the squad players up their game, as obviously they know that almost any position (it's arguable the front three places aren't always as at a risk obv) is up for grabs, as such Matips performances last season mean at the moment that it's his position to lose, rather than Gomez position that he can simply reclaim by getting fit again.

10. Y1

Y1 Klopp Kop Member

RB? Wait a minute, what about TAA?

11. tombrown

tombrown Very Well-Known Member

I think Klopp resets the meritocracy each pre-season, so what happened at the end of last season has only a minor bearing. If Matip is in ahead of Gomez it will be down to his pre-season work (not just matches, the training sessions as well) over his form in the last part of last season

rurikbird and Frogfish like this.
  12. hmmmmm1

hmmmmm1 Very Active Member

Everybody looks brilliant with vvd next to them.

13. Silver Sean

Silver Sean Well-Known Member

He's shite at full back. Always has been. He's an exceptional CB though. Tough call for Klopp as to who starts next to VVD. Luckliy he's a fucking brilliant manager who knows what he's doing.

Mystic, peekay, tomasjj and 2 others like this.
  14. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

It's not possible to earn it back if you're not in the team .. unless you've proven it in training and on that we'll just have to trust Klopp. Whether he chooses Matip or Gomez we should assume that's because they have shown Klopp they deserve the start based on their performances on the training pitch.

15. Silver Sean

Silver Sean Well-Known Member

The other thing is we have a massive load of matches coming thick and fast, so Klopp will also be thinking about managing the minutes each player gets. We may even see different combos through the season at certain times.

16. Buddha

Buddha Well-Known Member

I reckon he'll be 3rd choice CB with potential to be rotated and win back his number 2 slot by Christmas.

The boy Hoever will be RB back up.

17. peterhague

peterhague Very Well-Known Member

I'm sure it won't be long before Matip gets injured and then it becomes Matips problem. Until Gomez gets injured.

And so on.

18. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Making America Great Again. Member

I agree with most on here, liking Gomez at CB, he and Virgil were an outstanding pairing at the start of the season.

Remember he only started at CB because of Lovren's injury in the World Cup, so it stands to reason that if and when Matip gets hurt this year, Gomez will take that spot over once again.

He should be a third choice RB at most, behind Trent and Milner.

19. Brizzle

LOL - fair

20. Halmeister

Halmeister Some sort of pun about having a well known member Member

At cb yes. At rb, no, he's dreadful there. Strangely so.

As good as he is at cb could be irrelevant if he can't stay fit, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.