• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gylfi Sigurdsson anyone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite the fact that he looks a decent player and I said so on Page 1, I don't think we should sign him. We need better.

Pesam was onto this chap before any of us, and he's picked out a gem by the looks of it.

I'd have him based on the fact that he's not English. That in itself would be an improvement on our recent transfer policy.

Cheers for the credit Ryan/Amber.

I would love us to sign him and if we can get him for under £10m then we'll have a bargain. I'm not sure how we could best utilise him yet as it would depend on SG's fitness next season. His ideal role is a bit like SG's when he played just behind Torres (or like Dempsey this season for Fulham......a midfielder but with a license to get forward as much as possible).

If SG is fully fit next season and firing on all cylinders then we'd have to try and find a way to shoehorn Suarez, SG, Siggy and a goalscorer (maybe Carroll, maybe a new signing) into the team. Maybe it's time to try SG in a more defensive midfield role?

If we signed him it would certainly mean the end for Charlie Adam.

--------------Carroll----------
Suarez -----Gylfi ---------RW
-------Gerrard
-------------------Lucas
I'd be content

Fabio, it should read 'Eriksen' instead of 'Gylfi'. Or anyone else for that matter when it comes to that position.

You guys are impossible.

--------------Carroll----------
Suarez -----Gylfi ---------RW
-------Gerrard
-------------------Lucas
I'd be content

WRONG!

Fabio, it should read 'Eriksen' instead of 'Gylfi'. Or anyone else for that matter when it comes to that position.

You guys are impossible.

WRONG AGAIN!

It's gonna be:

------------Carroll
Suarez-----------Hoilett
----------Aquaman
----Gerrard-------Lucas

Would you rather we'd have Aquilani back than we'd buy Eriksen?

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU!

Wishful thinking vs reality.

I'd love to have Eriksen, but let's be real....
I'm sure our owners are aware that only the top talent around will take us forward. So we have to go all in for those even remotely available. Eriksen, playing for Ajax, where we've just picked up Suarez, indeed should fall into that bracket.

I know United etc. all want him as well but we are Liverpool, and we've got Agger, his captain at Int. Level, his former teammate Suarez and the Liverbird on our chest.

What's not to like?

We bought CHARLIE ADAM!!!! We threw away Aqua and Meireles.
Why should I expect us to buy a classy midfielder like Eriksen?
I just can't do it again...the horror...the horror....
I just can't get my hopes up again...

I really like him but why on earth invest 10m in this area of the pitch when we have an unpolished diamond in Shelvey who ultimately will play in virtually the same position- he should be getting every minute of playing time in our remaining fixtures to bring him on asap and save the cash for a caroll replacement

Apparently we're close to signing Swedish midfielder Rasmus Elm.​
Another Henderson signing, fantastic.​

Apparently we're close to signing Swedish midfielder Rasmus Elm.​
Another Henderson signing, fantastic.​

Really? I know little of him but mentioning henderson concerns me

He was pretty prolific during his Reading days too and I could recall him doing well against us a couple of years ago in the FA Cup. 9 goals and 3 assists in 29 Bundesliga games during his 1st season with Hoffenheim is not a bad return either.

He was pretty prolific during his Reading days too and I could recall him doing well against us a couple of years ago in the FA Cup. 9 goals and 3 assists in 29 Bundesliga games during his 1st season with Hoffenheim is not a bad return either.

Huh? He plays for AZ.

Rasmus Elm? That's got to be nothing but a stupid rumour. At least I hope it is.

Babbel: No Sigurdsson offers

Hoffenheim coach Markus Babbel claims the Bundesliga club are yet to receive any serious approaches for Gylfi Sigurdsson.
Last Updated: 26/04/12 at 18:46 Post Comment
skybet-logo.gif
Swansea v Wolves. Click here to bet.

Sigurdsson: Babbel claims he is part of his plans

The Iceland international has been in sparkling form in the Premier League since joining Swansea on loan in January, with reports suggesting Everton, Liverpool and Manchester United were preparing summer bids for him.
The 22-year-old midfielder is expected back in Germany at the end of the season but has already told Babbel he wants to remain in the English top flight.
While Swansea have made it clear they want the former Reading man back next season, the Welsh club expect to face competition for his services.
However, Babbel insists no proposals have come in and until any do, Sigurdsson will remain a Hoffenheim player.
He still has two years left on his contract with the club and Babbel wants a shot at convincing him his future lies at Hoffenheim as it was his predecessor Holger Stanislawski, not he, that deemed Sigurdsson surplus to requirements.
"The fact is that Gylfi Sigurdsson will be at the club come June 18th," Babbel told Sportinformationsdienst.
"I am able to confirm we have been talking to each other. Of course, he told me he would definitely want to remain in England.
"For me, Gylfi is a top-quality player, he is part of my plans. And up to now we have not received anything in his case.
"As long as we are not receiving anything, this is not an issue for me, and we will keep on expecting him to be around."
Hoffenheim splashed out almost £7million to sign Sigurdsson from Reading in August 2010 and, according to Sportinformationsdienst, they would be willing to sell for around £10m.

SWANSEA City are poised to offer Gylfi Sigurdsson the biggest contract in their history after agreeing a £7.2 million fee for the midfield star.

The Evening Post understands Swansea have settled on the megamoney deal to bring Sigurdsson to Wales with his current club Hoffenheim.

And Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins is now waiting to discuss personal terms with the Icelandic international's representatives.

Already on a sizeable wage having moved joined Hoffenheim from Reading in a £6.5 million deal, Sigurdsson is almost certain to become Swansea's top earner should he complete a full-time move to SA1.

But Swansea's decision-makers understand that there is a need to pay for quality if they are to compete in the Premier League once more next season.

Jenkins and Co have made a statement of intent by agreeing to pay a fee which is more than twice what they stumped up for current club-record signing Danny Graham, who arrived for £3.5 million last summer.

Now they must follow that up with a bumper contract which is also likely to eclipse anything seen before at the Liberty Stadium.

Sigurdsson is currently away on holiday, as is Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers.

But Jenkins is hoping to sit down with Sigurdsson's advisers imminently as Swansea attempt to pull off the biggest transfer coup in their 100-year history.

A number of clubs have registered an interest in Sigurdsson, but the signs are good for Swansea at this stage.

The 22-year-old has stated publicly that he wants to play in the Premier League next season and that he would be happy to stay on at the Liberty.

And it is understood the early indications are that Sigurdsson will be happy to accept the terms on offer at Swansea, where he scored seven goals after arriving on loan from the Bundesliga in January.

Arsenal, Manchester United, Newcastle and big-spending Spanish side Malaga are among a host of names who have been linked with Sigurdsson in recent weeks.

But Rodgers is likely to tell the player that at his age, he is better off being a big fish in a relatively small pond because he will be given the chance to prove his ability to perform at the highest level.

The theory is that if he continues to impress at Swansea, he can move on to a bigger club at a later stage in his career, when he will have more chance of making an impact on their first team.

Sorting out the Sigurdsson deal would be a huge boost to Swansea as they plan for a second season in the top flight.

Rodgers wants a handful of signings who will add finishing power to his squad this summer, and Sigurdsson fits the bill perfectly.

Another player who falls into that category is Bristol City's Albert Adomah.

He is one of a number of wingers Swansea have targeted this summer, and sources at Ashton Gate have indicated that he could be available for around £3 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom