• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gylfi Sigurdsson: Liverpool may bid says Brendan Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dee

Part of the Furniture
Administrator
New Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers may bid for Gylfi Sigurdsson if the Icelandic international's proposed permanent switch to Swansea collapses.
Sigurdsson has verbally agreed a club record £6.8m move from Hoffenheim to the Swans but has yet to sign.
The attacking midfielder played under Rodgers at their former club Reading and the Reds boss said: "If he comes on the market I have to be interested. He knows that I rate his qualities and abilities."
Swansea's agreement for Rodgers to move to Anfield included a clause preventing Liverpool bidding for any Swansea players within 12 months.
But Rodgers says Sigurdsson, 22, joined on loan from German club Hoffenheim in January only because the Northern Irishman was in charge.
"Gylfi came to Swansea because I was there as manager and his scoring record was fantastic," said Rodgers. "I pushed the club to make an agreement to sign Sigurdsson permanently and they did that in terms of the fee - and agreed the salary.So I have said to Huw [Jenkins, Swansea chairman]: 'I'm not going to do anything untoward. This is a guy you want, but it is down to Gylfi'.
"If he comes on the market I have to be interested. He knows that I rate his qualities and abilities.
"I said to Huw: 'If I speak to the kid, I'll tell him to speak to the new manager, whoever that is'.
"But if he's not comfortable with that, he's in the market place then - and I have to look at him."
The 22-year-old impressed during his spell at the Liberty Stadium and scored seven goals in 17 starts.
Hoffenheim signed Sigurdsson in 2010 for £6.5m from Reading.
Swansea's initial bid, thought to be close to £4m, was rejected by the Bundesliga club, who are keen to recoup the fee they paid for Sigurdsson.
The Welsh club earned £45.9m from television and prize money during their first season in the Premier League, finishing 11th in the table, and so have funds to strengthen the squad.
Sigurdsson said in April he would be happy to stay at the Liberty Stadium beyond the end of the season. But Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins had also admitted the Welsh club would struggle to keep hold of the midfielder.

I bet the Swans fans would hate Rodgers if this deal goes through. I mean he spends half a season there. Does amazingly well - Only for LFC and their new manager to swoop in and scupper the deal. If the boot was on the other foot and all that.....

Who cares about all that, Red?
Just fo the deal & sign the player.
At that price he would be an excellent pick up.

I bet the Swans fans would hate Rodgers if this deal goes through. I mean he spends half a season there. Does amazingly well - Only for LFC and their new manager to swoop in and scupper the deal. If the boot was on the other foot and all that.....

I would hope not. One of the various impressive points about the way Rodgers has conducted himself is how he's dealt with this, namely leaving first dibs with Swansea and saying we'll look at him *if* that doesn't go through.

I would hope not. One of the various impressive points about the way Rodgers has conducted himself is how he's dealt with this, namely leaving first dibs with Swansea and saying we'll look at him *if* that doesn't go through.
Good point well made.

Well since it's all over the press then it's as good as saying to the player 'hang on son - I'm interested in you if you turn Swansea down'

Well since it's all over the press then it's as good as saying to the player 'hang on son - I'm interested in you if you turn Swansea down'
Rodgers did tell Jennings that the player wants to play for him. While fees and personal terms have been agreed, Gylfi hasn't signed. He is fair game.

Your honor....you are assuming the boo-boys are rational.

Your Madge, I'm not making an assumption but expressing a hope. Like you I realise there are few depths to which some of the armpit-scratchers who follow football will not sink.

Rodgers has played it well by saying that 'if' the deal all through, we'd be in for him.

Hmmmm, tough choice.

Wonder if Hoffenheim would take advantage of the interest and raise the asking price, if he does not agree to move to Swansea.

Markus wouldn't be so cruel to us!
NOOOOoooo_072058_1920206.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom