• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Has Ginsoak got a point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mors

Well-Known
The man to suffer is often Rooney with the 23-year-old asked to play out of position in a role which sometimes nullifies his attacking threat - two goals in the last seven games - allowing for Cristiano Ronaldo to play through the middle.

The system worked to great effect against Arsenal at the Emirates in the second-leg of the Champions League semi-final and Ferguson believes that Rooney can be even more dangerous cutting in from the flank rather than playing as a central striker.

"When forwards attack from wide to inside they are far more dangerous," he told The Guardian.

"It's funny when I see centre-forwards starting off in the middle against their markers and then going away from goal.

"Strikers going inside are far more dangerous, I think. When (Thierry) Henry played as a striker, and sometimes, when Wayne does they try to escape and create space by drifting from the centre to wide positions, when that actually makes them less dangerous."

Does he have a point that strikers in this 433 thing are more dangerous out wide? Should the team have 3 striker starting every game? So for us it would be Torres, Kuyt(!), and striker x?
I thought that having 3 strikers on the pitch would unbalance the team for most games, but this blokes has just won the league again so knows a lot more than me obv. Is Rafa planning on playing 3 strikers next season?

Henry was lethal out wide left and coming in, on a side note.

Stevie scored a lot of goals when he was on the right....

Mind you, he's scored a lot of goals in the position he plays now. :p

Although Henry was technically 'up front', he ALWAYS used to drift off the the left allowing him to cut in. The curl in to the far bottom corner was his speciality.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=33702.msg873107#msg873107 date=1243085695]
So who was playing through the middle at arsenal when henry was there?
[/quote]

Midfield or upfront Brendan? I'm not sure of the relevance as I was talking about Henry being lethal at drifting out wide left and then coming in. Potentially leaving Bergkamp etc in the box pulling the defenders out the way for him.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=33702.msg873206#msg873206 date=1243096485]
So to take your point to Slur Alex's logical conclusion, Henry should have been played out wide?

[/quote]

I'm not saying he's right or wrong, I'm asking if he's got a point in playing 3 strikers home/away, and playing two of them potentially out of position.
He seems to think it's the future (and he's just won the league doing it) and Rafa seems to be edging that way. Instead of having two wingers out wide of Torres, having two strikers out wide.

Theres no right or wrong way. Van Nistelrooy use to stay central and bang in 30 goals a season for the mancs. Rooney is that good a player he can excel out wide, in the hole or up top.

Whatever system Fergie employs up front, it's not managed to score as many goals as us this season. So why look to alter it to the way he likes to play?

Look - Demento is just trying to confuse poor Wayne by making him think playing out of position is actually a good thing.

Shrek is no Henry or Torres for that matter.

[quote author=Rafiagra link=topic=33702.msg873305#msg873305 date=1243110402]
Look - Demento is just trying to confuse poor Wayne by making him think playing out of position is actually a good thing.

Shrek is no Henry or Torres for that matter.

[/quote]
I think Rooney's best position could be as a wing type player in a 433 formation. His crossing and passing are top notch and he can still cut in for a shot.

It pains me to say it but Shrek would be perfect for Torres in a 4-4-2. Torres would get the space he wants as Rooney would thrive on dropping off.

It would be like Beauty and the Beast.

i'd rather a carew or obrohimovich as a target man in this formation where strikers cut inside from the left or right instead of berbatov though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom