1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

He's back!

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by rurikbird, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rurikbird

rurikbird Part of the Furniture Honorary Member

You may have to login or register before you can view links. (video not embeddable)

After an anonymous 45 minutes on a wing vs Chelsea, this was more like the Ox we know and love – all-action display, diligent tracking back, sharp and quick passing and generally playing with a lot of swag, particularly in the 2nd half. We badly missed this kind of player last season; I'm looking forward to seeing him restore his good understanding with Salah in particular. At his best, he can produce almost the same kind of energy and work-rate as Hendo at RCM, but with quite a bit more attacking threat. I was sure Hendo starts vs Arsenal, but now I feel it's a toss-up.

Klopp on his performance:
    Ox's post-match interview (well worth watching):

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Frogfish likes this.
  2. mom

mom Very Active Member

I was expecting a thread about Alisson

3. rurikbird

rurikbird Part of the Furniture Honorary Member

4. Brizzle

Brizzle Well-Known Member

When he's match sharp he has the ability to transform our midfield. I want to keep playing him there for now.

5. Mystic

Mystic Moderator Moderator

I live for the dream that is a Fabinho, Keita and Ox midfield.

JurgenKlopp, Ijg, rurikbird and 7 others like this.
  6. binomial

binomial Very Active Member

You'd think this would be our midfield as their all Klopp signings yet he still favours Brendan's long lost sons Hendo and Milner

7. Mystic

Well, mainly because they've never all been fit at the same time, but also, whilst they undoubtedly look perfect on paper, it's probably lacking a bit of leadership, and industry, two qualities that should never be underated, but always are by fans.

Frogfish likes this.
  8. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

Re-watching that I'm surprised at his involvement. Far greater than I remembered. I love it when we have players with great control (Gini & Keita too for example). It makes a great difference in retaining possession and creation. And on that note again Ox played a couple of defence splitting balls (which he also did vs Chelsea which people didn't seem to notice). Those will pay off in the long run. We should be playing Ox or Keita every game. Hopefully we'll not see the Millie/Hendo/Gini midfield again.

ibromurph likes this.
  9. Frogfish

Yeah much as I love those players as individuals it seems far too attacking for most games. Fabs at the base and one from Hendo/Millie/Gini and one from Keita or Ox for their creativity. At least we have decent options in midfield now even if at least two are always injured !

10. LeTallecWiz

LeTallecWiz Mo(ssa)d Administrator

I was just talking about this with @MaBigTip !

MaBigTip likes this.
  11. Brizzle

Brizzle Well-Known Member

Agreed - if everyone is fit I think this is his dream midfield and I can't wait for the day it happens. The closest we can get to that now would be Fabs, Gini, Ox which i'd love to see on Saturday.

Mystic likes this.
  12. hmmmmm1

hmmmmm1 Very Active Member

Millie/Hendo/Gini is klopps preferred players for the big games. The workhorse midfield works with our attack.

Unless ox / kieta improve their defensive game, which may still short of what's required.

13. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

I dont think its a toss up, Hendo starts against Arsenal. Ox was better on Saturday than midweek but he was still very obviously struggling with sharpness, there were a number of times he played a heavy touch or over ran the ball. I think it will be 3 or 4 weeks before hes near his peak condition.

14. Dreambeliever

Dreambeliever Looking on the brightside Member

Swap Keita for Henderson and your laughing.

Keita has done nothing to deserve such praise. He has it all to prove when he’s actually fit

15. ibromurph

ibromurph Well-Known Member

I was thinking. Why are we seemingly unable to play through midfield these days? Everything seems to be long balls up to Mo and Sadio, if it's not through Bobby. I think it's clear that we do lack world class quality in the midfield area. Players who don't accept a ball effortlessly under pressure.I'm talking top, top technical players like KDB and Silva.

I'd argue that our front 3 and back 4 are the best in the league. At worse, 2nd. Same with our GK.

We don't have anyone on the same technical level of quality in midfield. Millie, Gini and Hendo are good. But not world class. Same with the Ox, Lallana and Keita, although they are better.

If only we had a Gerrard/KDB type in the squad.

A midfielder who could run, dribble, tackle, has imagination, can control a ball in tight spaces, pass well both short and long, have varied delivery, cross wickedly from the half space, shoot from distance cleanly, was powerful, had vision, and could contribute goals and assists.

Oh wait.. we actually do.. and he's playing RB.

Personally, i'd love us to sign a quality RB and move Trent into AM for an extended period.

Forget Keita (who lacks ball striking abilities; more like a Kante with through balls), and forget AOC (powerful runner but lacks the passing and crossing ability), and forget Hendo (lacks a great first touch, vision, imagination, power and the crossing ability).

I think Trent if given the chance in midfield would be at a 10 goal, 15 assists type midfielder in the league. I am starting to think he's wasted at RB, when there are so many other players in world football that could do that role for a fraction of the cost it would take to buy world class AM instead. Especially when we have a player with all the necessary tools to be one already.

Tinto and Modo like this.
  16. Modo

Modo A contentious scando Member

Trent wouldn't be any different than Keita and Ox who are both very direct players. Although I agree that it would be interesting to see him in midfield.
    Also, yes we do lack that little creative player behind the striker.
    I'm not sure if we need one because Firmino does drop deep, but a "Coutinho" would have been nice. We do have Shaq as well, who plays in that position for the Swiss.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  17. Frogfish

Honestly if Rurik's link above shows Ox's every touch (and I think it does) then your memory of his 'heavy touch' or 'ran over the ball' doesn't bear out. Please rewatch and let us know what you think. My memory was also way off until I watched it again. I would prefer him starting over Hendo - but Klopp's not going to let that happen.

18. Frogfish

From the PL I'd choose Maddison or Neves. Which one would depend on where you place your priorities.

19. Modo

Modo A contentious scando Member

I'd go with Madison too. Unless Neves plays a blinder today

20. Mystic

Yeh, so we should start him, in the midfield three mentioned. Not difficult lad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.