• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Higuain Fancies Liverpool move

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suarez was 24 when we got our hands on him, so Higuain would only be three years older should he join us this Summer.

I've made up my mind, buying 27-year-old players doesn't scare me one bit, if he's good enough that is.

There's a reason I said the last decade or so - the demands of the game have increased exponentially since Bergkamp signed for Arsenal 21 years ago. Or Zola - 20 years ago.

25/26 isn't late twenties - 28+ is. 25 /26 is absolute peak years for the majority of strikers.

That said Vardy and Drogba have one thing in common - very little top level football early on in their career. Thats why Vardy (who isn't new to physical football) has a chance to be good for a few years yet.

Suarez was 24 when we got our hands on him, so Higuain would only be three years older should he join us this Summer.

I've made up my mind, buying 27-year-old players doesn't scare me one bit, if he's good enough that is.

Most players have a three year peak.

Signing someone at 28, which Higuain will be next week is most certainly just after his peak.

Its a stupid signing.

The reasons to buy or not to buy are getting increasingly bizarre. Now we're comparing players in their 20's with a 2 or 3 year age gap and discarding those at the upper end. Seems daft.

I don't think it's quite that simplistic

People are just applying a few filters and it helps creates discussion, if nothing else

He is 28. Most likely only one or two more years as an absolute top level striker. He will not have a season to adjust and settle in.

We wont get him for less than 70 million which means he will be the only signing this summer outside of the ones we have already signed. Risk is too much.

Most players have a three year peak.

Signing someone at 28, which Higuain will be next week is most certainly just after his peak.

Its a stupid signing.

Doesn't it depend how high and how long the peak is?

It's a bit of an unknowable quantity 'a peak', isn't it only ever a perception and then only judged after a career.

Doesn't it depend how high and how long the peak is?

It's a bit of an unknowable quantity 'a peak', isn't it only ever a perception and then only judged after a career.

Is this the nobody knows anything for certain so lets waste 70m argument ?

I'd rather watch him for Napoli next season and watch the inevitable decline

There's a reason I said the last decade or so - the demands of the game have increased exponentially since Bergkamp signed for Arsenal 21 years ago. Or Zola - 20 years ago.

25/26 isn't late twenties - 28+ is. 25 /26 is absolute peak years for the majority of strikers.

That said Vardy and Drogba have one thing in common - very little top level football early on in their career. Thats why Vardy (who isn't new to physical football) has a chance to be good for a few years yet.

There is also the question of how the striker fits within the team structure. Bergkamp fit very well in a team with Viera, Petit midfield axis, Overmars on the wing and a young Henry. He was the creative fulcrum. Also players like Bergkamp, Zola who rely on their technical ability last longer even when their physicality starts deteriorating.

Drogba was bought at an ideal age for Chelsea. @dmishra had an excellent post in one of the Origi discussions about how such strikers generally tend to peak. It took Drogba a year or more to settle in.

Bergkamp scored 11 and 12 goals in the PL in his first two seasons. Drogba scored 10 and 12 goals in the PL in his first two seasons. These numbers will not acceptable for us if we invest 70 million on Higuain especially as I dont think he offers the other attributes which Bergkamp and Drogba had.

If we were in Arsenal's position, Higuain is a risk worth taking - more complete squad, tons of money, new stadium, finished second etc. For us, it is a mad mad risk. We should have bought him 3 years ago when he left Madrid.

Is this the nobody knows anything for certain so lets waste 70m argument ?

I'd rather watch him for Napoli next season and watch the inevitable decline

No I don't think I mentioned a fee or even if we should buy this player.

I was just gently pointing out that you have no idea when an individuals peak is or for how long it might last.

Not to mention the concept of 'slightly off peak' which may well be much better than what we already have.

I was just gently pointing out that you have no idea when an individuals peak is or for how long it might last.

Not to mention the concept of 'slightly off peak' which may well be much better than what we already have.[/QUOTE]

You maybe right on that. But the problem is the transfer fee. He has a release clause of close to 100 million and Napoli will not let him go unless they get a bid in the same ball park. If he was in the last year of his contract and refusing an extension and his fee was lower than 25-30 million, it was a risk worth taking. Not at 50 million plus.[/B][/I]

Last edited:

Not to mention the concept of 'slightly off peak' which may well be much better than what we already have.

I'm happy to rely on the evidence of the past decade as pointed out earlier.

If you want to continue to be a good striker in your late twenties and into your thirties, don't move to England. Play in an easier league - like Suarez and Ronaldo do.

I don't care a bit how much a player cost. If we sign him then we can afford him. FSG won't risk the club.

It all comes down to if Klopp want him or not and if we have a good chance to sign him. If Higuain want to join us and Klopp want him then we should sign him. He is one of the best strikers in the world and not many of them want to join us. As I see it £60m or so for Higuain is better business than £30m for Mane.

I don't care a bit how much a player cost. If we sign him then we can afford him. FSG won't risk the club.

It all comes down to if Klopp want him or not and if we have a good chance to sign him. If Higuain want to join us and Klopp want him then we should sign him. He is one of the best strikers in the world and not many of them want to join us. As I see it £60m or so for Higuain is better business than £30m for Mane.
Arnold how old are you?

It feels like a lot of people are being obtuse for the sake of it.

Higuain is a very good striker but we can ill-afford to make such signings and as if he would come to us anyways.

Not too keen actually.
Not at that price.

Morientes-like failure potential.
Pure centre-forward though.

I feel like the same posters didn't want Higuain when he moved to Napoli either, but for different reasons. Just a generally underrated player by the Premier League community IMO.

Atletico Madrid have put Liverpool and Chelsea target Gonzalo Higuain at the top of their list for a summer spending spree.

The Argentina international cemented his position as one of the world's best strikers last season hitting a record 36 Serie A goals.

Both Chelsea and Liverpool have been linked with moves for the striker, with Napoli expecting a busy summer trying to keep hold of him.

And now, according to Marca, the Italian club will need to resist the interest of Atletico Madrid too.
Manager Diego Simeone recently penned a new deal at the club and he has now reportedly told chief executive Miguel Angel Gil Marin that he wants them to get him Higuain over anyone else.
The 28-year-old knows all about life in the Spanish capital, having spent six years at Real Madrid - where he scored 107 La Liga goals in 190 outings.

And now Atleti are reportedly ready to firm up their interest with a bid for Higuain - although he will not come cheap.

Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Firmino

Klopp favours playing a lone striker.

No Europe.

I can't see us buying another. Let alone a really expensive and experienced one.

I'm happy to rely on the evidence of the past decade as pointed out earlier.

If you want to continue to be a good striker in your late twenties and into your thirties, don't move to England. Play in an easier league - like Suarez and Ronaldo do.

I don't think you need to use them as examples though Ross, I mean, they're just basically running riot in their respective leagues but would still be a cut above anyone over here, now. They're exceptions to any sort of rule being discussed here, even though I completely agree about a more generalised "peak years" theory. I just don't think you can apply that to two of the World's greatest players. They're not just running riot because it's an "easier" league, it's because they are still World Class. They wouldn't score as many here, but they'd still be scoring among the highest in our league.

Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Firmino

Klopp favours playing a lone striker.

No Europe.

I can't see us buying another. Let alone a really expensive and experienced one.

I'm inclined to agree. No sign of Christian moving anywhere at the moment either.

I still think we'll buy an attacker though, but more a wide forward. We need one that's a bit more ruthless and classy than what we've got, but someone worth a few goals to the team too.

I still think we'll buy an attacker though, but more a wide forward. We need one that's a bit more ruthless and classy than what we've got, but someone worth a few goals to the team too.

I reckon we still might get Gotze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom