• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hillsborough: Searching For The Truth

Rael

Active
Did anyone on here watch this tonight? Any thoughts? ITV broadcasting a programme tomorrow.

Didn't tell us anything new. Shame it was only shown regionally.

Margaret Aspinall is an inspiration.

I'm ashamed to say I wasn't sure who Margaret Aspinall was but after a little bit of reading - What an amazing person.

New report will accuse police of orchestrating Hillsborough cover-up

The publication of the report may bring the relatives of the dead some closure

Tony Evans Football Editor
Last updated at 12:01AM, September 10 2012

Andrew Devine has never spoken about what happened to him on a sunny spring day 23 years ago. He has never spoken about anything since.

He was 22 when he went to a football match, an FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest. For the first half of his life he was a normal, happy, healthy person. He has now been in a vegetative state for more than half a lifetime after being deprived of oxygen in the crush on the Leppings Lane End.

No one could ever say that the 96 people who died as a direct result of the events of April 15, 1989, were lucky. Yet it seems the cruellest use of language to term Devine a “survivor”.
On Wednesday, when the Hillsborough Independent Panel (HIP) releases what should be a definitive and incontrovertible report into the disaster and its aftermath, it is unlikely that Devine, who is cared for by his loving family, who feed him puréed food, will be aware.

The panel’s conclusions will reiterate what the Taylor Report told us about the causes of the disaster. There will be more eye-opening information, though. Much more.

After 20 months of studying nearly half a million documents, the HIP will detail the full extent of the police cover-up in the hours, days and weeks after the tragedy and highlight how political interference from the highest level affected the reporting and perception of Hillsborough. The breathtaking range of the cover-up will demand further investigation and possibly a full public inquiry.

Evidence was tampered with and disappeared, junior police officers were bullied into changing their statements in an orchestrated campaign to blame the fans for the fatal crush and deflect criticism away from the South Yorkshire Police.
Finally, we may be coming close to getting the truth, a phrase distorted by Kelvin MacKenzie’s despicable headline in The Sun above a story that accused Liverpool supporters of robbing the dead, urinating on the police and making lewd sexual suggestions about a dead girl.

I was part of that crowd. I always ask those who believe the lies of 1989 the same questions. Would you do these things? No one has ever answered yes. And no one has ever been able to reply to the follow-up request: then tell me why you think I would commit these outrages.

What should have been a discourse about the worst breakdown of the emergency services in British history was sidetracked by accusations of hooliganism that many were all too ready to believe. Some still do.
This year, a significant number of Chelsea fans at Wembley disrupted a minute’s silence on the anniversary, chanting “Murderers” and “You killed your own fans”. Fans of other clubs, perhaps imagining themselves more subtle, sing: “If it wasn’t for the Scousers we could stand.”

The catastrophic failure of a police force that put thousands of men, women and children in jeopardy, killing 96 of them, becomes a weapon in the so-called “banter” of football. It’s reduced to a whinge that the terraces were taken from the game. It is depressing.

Not all supporters are so myopic and deluded. The support the Hillsborough campaigns have received from across the game is heart-warming. Many fans recognise the issues of public safety and the ability to trust a Government to dispense justice even-handedly.

Even the most unlikely figures have thrown their weight behind the quest for truth. In June, Eric Cantona climbed on stage and joined the Justice Tonight band and expressed his support for the campaign, recognising that this is a cause much too important to be obscured by tribalism.

On Wednesday we will see the first steps taken towards righting a 23-year-old wrong. After all these years, those who made disastrous mistakes and then lied about it may be forced to take responsibility. The real guilty men may have to admit they were culpable.

The relatives of the dead may finally find some closure. Yet no one can take pleasure in this. The truth should not have to be battled for so hard. And even if those who campaigned so doggedly should be applauded for their achievement, how can anyone be happy when Andrew Devine and his family go through hell every day?

A stain on football’s character may be removed on Wednesday, but no one can feel good about the trail of ugly events that led us to this point. There are no winners here.

I think a lot will come out now, especially information that will blow apart the 3.15 cut off time. Interesting to know what "interference at the highest political level" is as well. The rats will start turning on each other soon as per that journalist trying to call out the cunt Mackenzie. You still wrote the words though, cunt.

I dont particularly like Tony Evans, but that was very well written. Watching the Aspinall interview now.

I think ITVs may be an interesting program tonight. The timing of Evans article and content of Ann Williams tweets make me believe it may be

Sad to see such a lack of interest in here on this too

Young fans and all that Sunny. I hope this brings some closure, the sad thing is the shitty chants won't go away.My cousin was there and as a grown man he used to hide under a duvet and break his heart.

I think for alot of fans it's too painful sometimes to face time and again, too close to home. I hope justice is found because for every battle to get those responsible to face up to their actions, we're all faced with the horrible reality over and over again.

Both her and Anne Williams are incredibly strong women.

Amazingly so.

These 'revelations' are nothing of the sort, but we may get definitive answers finally instead of things that can't be proven.

The families may finally get answers, of not the justice they deserve.

It's hard to believe that this might now be coming to some kind of conclusion. I can't wait until Wednesday but it feels unreal.

Young fans and all that Sunny. I hope this brings some closure, the sad thing is the shitty chants won't go away.My cousin was there and as a grown man he used to hide under a duvet and break his heart.

I think for alot of fans it's too painful sometimes to face time and again, too close to home. I hope justice is found because for every battle to get those responsible to face up to their actions, we're all faced with the horrible reality over and over again.

I can totally understand that latter point Mark. A lad I worked with and became really close mates with never told me until the 20th anniversary of he event. I'd known him about 8 years by then and was gobsmacked at the story he told me especially when I find out it was him in this famous image:

3avureve.jpg

Anyway, I understand why he chose not to talk about it. I understand people deal with things in different ways. I understand that our younger fans don't full understand all the events especially the post event cover ups and despicable lies by the Sun. I don't understand how anyone could ever work for that organisation. I understand some fans may want the whole thing to be put behind us. I respect that point of view but I don't agree with it because I can never understand how the families of the 96 feel about the lies, deceit ,shameless covering up and slurs thrown at those who died and survived. I can have empathy for the way they feel though - I know how I'd feel and I'd never give up, like them, to clear the name of those I lost and finally understand how and, more importantly, when they died.

My Granddad was there and doesn't like talking about it. I cannot fathom what it would have been like to experience. Truly horrific.

Honestly my opinion is that we need to put it behind us when we get the information we ask for.

I'm young, but I respect anyone associated with the campaign. I'm not vocal on the issue, but I make my feelings known if the issues are raised.

It something that I've not personally been affected by (immediately), but it's not something I like to think about or reminded about.

You were too young kid, I was only 8 but remember being at home with my grandad waiting for my Mum to call.

Her, Dad and Mike had all gone and we didn't know where they were sitting.

We finally got a call at about 7pm. Those 3 hours waiting to hear if they were alive, I remember those. Don't remember much else.

Hope the road to justice begins tomorrow and hopefully we can move on eventually. JFT96.

Yeah it's on now in London. I find it really hard to watch but as a red I must. So sad though.

Yeah it's on now in London. I find it really hard to watch but as a red I must. So sad though.

I couldn't bring myself to do it. I just get too emotional.

I was introduced to Anne Williams by a lad from another site whilst in the Harry, it was the final day of the e petition for the inquest & she was talking about it, I had to excuse myself cos I was getting worked up & she wasn't, & I felt I had no right to react like that whilst she was so controlled & determined. Incredible spirit.

It was a much better effort than BBC came up with last night.

Well done ITV.

I'm in bits as always. I just feel a massive sense of cruel injustice and huge respect for people like Anne Williams. ITV did a good job.

Back
Top Bottom