• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Huddersfield Town v Liverpool Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least we dealt quite well with the long throws today. Useful practice for Cardiff next week.

Whenever teams indulge in that ridiculous routine where the ball boys hand their players a towel, which they then dry the ball as if it's just been rescued from the bloody ocean, we should insist on doing the same, even slower, to force the ref to intervene before the game as a whole has about ten minutes added to it. It's a farce that I thought had ended some years ago after Stoke turned it into the most boring aspect of their generally boring style of play. Anyway, I thought we were supposed to be coached by a throw in expert, so we should show a bit of savviness in such situations. Don't let the home team think they have an advantage like that.

Was that the worst performance of the season so far? Felt like it.

No it was not - if we consider all competitions - the Napoli game so far ranks as the worse game in living memory for me - even compared to finals we have lost. What was it ? - no shots on target and just terrible.

Another poo win. So the best ever start to a season and we're all shitting ourselves because we look like a side that's either going to fall apart or suddenly smash the arse off someone and then get properly rolling.

Indeed Woland - there has been a similar type of start - it dates back to 2002/03 season I think. We were drawing/winning up for 8 games - undefeated under GH - but not playing that bloody great but still getting through. Then it never clicked for ages and we started falling apart, and we did. Right now we are lucky in that our squad is by default better than 'most' teams and our defence is solid - so we can kind of afford to play shit against sides that don't have a threat and rely on discipline and commitment more so than having talented opposition up front and in midfield.

It's now what 10 games - and it's not really the front three not clicking - its the whole dynamic of the build up play :-

1) Very slow at times.- giving the opposition chance to setup their defence.
2) Players not thinking properly in situations - take Firminio today with that lazy shot - not placement or thought. Then Salah with that pass that should have been easy.
3) Midfield creativity is missing - we are too predictable - given this issue we should strive for faster movement.
4) Overall passing and ball retention - it's not good at all and has not been since the first game against an unprepared West Ham team. Since Klopp has taken charge this season is the worse we have performed in terms of pass and move.

We are winning because of the quality of our first 11 being miles better than the lower teams, but not necessarily because they are playing well. This becomes a major issue when the quality of the opposition matches. Right now - I just don't want us to play any of the top teams.

We are winning because of the quality of our first 11 being miles better than the lower teams, but not necessarily because they are playing well. This becomes a major issue when the quality of the opposition matches. Right now - I just don't want us to play any of the top teams.

Like Spurs, City or the Chavs ... I get your point, but we took 5 of 9 points against top 4 teams already.
good night moron.

Citeh at home (draw)
Chel$ki and Spurs away (draw, win)

Knocking it out the park again Moron :-/

Citeh at home (draw)
Chel$ki and Spurs away (draw, win)

Knocking it out the park again Moron :-/

Not really - we have been very very lucky:-

1) Chelsea - we drew in the last minute due to a wonder goal from Sturridge.
2) Spurs - they were wrongly not given a penalty to draw the game and plus they had no Ali playing for them.
3) City - they had a penalty which they fucked up

None of the above games were comfortable in any way and we have been getting away with a lot of shit performances up front against the top sides and bottom sides. All these games this season feel like are just short of fucking it all up at any time. I will feel a lot better if we really spank some time soon.

No post match thread, and I'm a fire starter not a thread starter, so putting this here:

Huddersfield Town 0 Liverpool 1: Match Ratings

by Ben Johnson | Oct 20, 2018 | 10 comments
FAITH is a funny thing, isn’t it?
The Reds are the best Reds I have seen in probably my whole adult life and here I am as the team news drops, with my undies in my throat, wishing I was one of them grey fellas who liked nothing.
I mean, the team has the look of one that could get legged all over the gaff. Adam Lallana playing his first game since last year, Dan Sturridge starting his first game since Luis Suarez was banging them in or something, Divock Origi, fresh from getting flashed to all and sundry for a couple of bob, is on the bench.
But it’s fine, isn’t it? I mean Huddersfield are shite, aren’t they? But then The Reds, the reds get beat against the bottom three away from home, don’t we? That’s one of our things, isn’t it? Weirdly?
That said, I’ve just come across these words in one of my notes. It was my motivational speech to a nervous karaokeer. It’s probably going to end up on mugs and headstones all over the world:
“Believe in yourself and fucking give it bifters.”
Can someone make some T-shirts with that on it please, and sell them for me?
Alisson: 8
That kit really is wondrous. Glorious. Like a massive big wondrous vagina, with arms, that saves everything it should, and loves a touch on the ball. Venus fly trap. Fucking big pink magnet.
Joe Gomez: 8
Mad the way he has completed centre half so is just titting about at right back for a laugh. The ball to Shaqiri for the goal is the pass of the match, mind you. And there we were thinking we should have played the more attacking Trent.
Virgil: 8
That image of him with the armband, mate. Adam Melia had a vision before The Reds bought him that whoever ended up buying him would end up with him as captain lifting the league trophy. When it looked like it was Man City we were very down. When he signed for The Reds, mate. God’s plan, lad.
Degsy: 7
Was great in that he did everything he needed to, but still had the chance to buzz about like a Jack Russell for a bit. There was a Jack Russell used to live next door to me Nan’s in Fazakerley, little fucker it was, fucking couldn’t stand me nan. Mad that.
Andy Robbo: 7
Part of the defence that has literally got the greatest defensive record for the start of a season in The Reds’ history. Give them all an extra point to what I have written your own selves. Like a handicap in golf.
Henderson: 8
Thought he was really good, you know, not in a “Henderson is sound” needle way either. Hope he only has a knock, rather than something that’s gunna keep him out.
Milner: 8
Made out of fucking rock, mate. Could conceivably knock about with Deadpool there, knocking shit out of people with his granite arms.
Ad Lallana: 7
For someone who hasn’t played for two years or some shit he was sound, you know. Got a lovely half turn, hasn’t he? Forgot how good it was. Looked like he’d aged 15 years by the end of the game, mind you. Like yer man out the end of Indiana Jones who has a swig out of the jarg cup.
Mo Salah: 8
Reckon he was back to his best, yerno. Two chances, slots ones, just misses the second. Linked up well with Sturridge, his touch was great, his movement was great, he was great.
Dan Sturridge: 7
Lasted a whole game there without snapping his banjo. Thought he linked the forwards and the midfield well, looked stronger than he has for years. Well in, lad.
Shaqiri: 8
Mad little fucker played centre mid there, just stood still finding space all day. Movement for the goal is perfection. First touch for the goal is perfection. Pass for the goal is perfection. Mo literally doesn’t have to touch it. Boss.
SUBS
Gini:
Come on, looked fucked.
Firmino:
Come on played centre mid or the top of a diamond or some shit, played the worst pass I’ve ever seen, probably could have scored or set up three.
Fabinho:
Made some tackles, won some tackles. Done alright. Well in.

We are in a funk, and we won.
I will take that. As a bonus Salah scored and we got to rest a couple of players.

Gini did well when he came on, thought he & Hendo did about the same job though tbh, although gini pushed up a bit more which did help, so perhaps a marginal improvement.

I think Gini & Milner playing well this season is having an impact on our forward play though.

As good as they are, the fact that all three of our most often played midfielders are more or less of the same mould means that the opposition defence only have to really worry about our front three, hence Salah looking better when Shaqiri or Keita are on the pitch.

Whilst it may not be a fatal flaw not getting an attacking midfielder in the summer, imo it's delaying the front three finding their best form not having one as an option so often.

Don't know if anyone already mentioned it, but did anyone else thing the pitch looked very "heavy" yesterday? Passes were dying almost half way before reaching the intended target throughout the game. Looked to me like Huddersfield deliberately left the grass thicker than usual to stop us pinging passes about.

Not really - we have been very very lucky:-

1) Chelsea - we drew in the last minute due to a wonder goal from Sturridge.
2) Spurs - they were wrongly not given a penalty to draw the game and plus they had no Ali playing for them.
3) City - they had a penalty which they fucked up

None of the above games were comfortable in any way and we have been getting away with a lot of shit performances up front against the top sides and bottom sides. All these games this season feel like are just short of fucking it all up at any time. I will feel a lot better if we really spank some time soon.

In a choice between lucky and good, I'd choose lucky every time.

Don't know if anyone already mentioned it, but did anyone else thing the pitch looked very "heavy" yesterday? Passes were dying almost half way before reaching the intended target throughout the game. Looked to me like Huddersfield deliberately left the grass thicker than usual to stop us pinging passes about.
We’re going to have to learn too play on these types of pitches, I’m afraid.

Gini and Bobby both had uncharacteristically sloppy moments when they came on. Perhaps that's the reason why they didn't start in the first place.

Gini come on and looked fucked?

He was fucking brilliant when he came on

Lovren was fucking shite, so he's reverted to type
All of those Ben Johnson ratings are shite, not just your average shite but a WTF type of shite. Not one of our players was a 7 never mind an 8 yet he splashes them around like confetti. Truly WTF ?!

All of those Ben Johnson ratings are shite, not just your average shite but a WTF type of shite. Not one of our players was a 7 never mind an 8 yet he splashes them around like confetti. Truly WTF ?!
Its comedy - some people like it, some don't. Sometimes the ratings make sense, often they don't - but the numbers are not the important part of the article.

Now explain to me why Lallana started?

Lallana started as a result of us having a midfield that, for all its running and pressing lacks a creative spark. Klopp obviously hoped Shaquiri could solve this, but then he could not play winger. Mane out injured then left us a void which could be filled by either Studge (playing firmino Central as normal), Moreno (Yuhuu) or Shaquiri (which then could not fill the midfield role). The last option was probably Lallana, who is a hard working and 100% probably looked good in training. He obviously lacks a lot on match fitness, but he don't get that unless playing. So he started the game, was on the Pitch when we took the lead and went off in 2nd half. After the period we have had and going into tricky games ahead it is good to get more of the squad up and running and still get the points. It doesn't have to be more complex than that.

Lallana started as a result of us having a midfield that, for all its running and pressing lacks a creative spark. Klopp obviously hoped Shaquiri could solve this, but then he could not play winger. Mane out injured then left us a void which could be filled by either Studge (playing firmino Central as normal), Moreno (Yuhuu) or Shaquiri (which then could not fill the midfield role). The last option was probably Lallana, who is a hard working and 100% probably looked good in training. He obviously lacks a lot on match fitness, but he don't get that unless playing. So he started the game, was on the Pitch when we took the lead and went off in 2nd half. After the period we have had and going into tricky games ahead it is good to get more of the squad up and running and still get the points. It doesn't have to be more complex than that.
Before the game you were talking about how I didn't know nothing because I don't see Lallana in training. Now you're talking about him being Klopps only option and that he did well in training.
There were several options, Fabinho, Wijnaldum even fucking TAA but he picked Lallana who obviously want ready, looked out of sorts and was ultimately subbed.
He did absolutely nothing in that game.
It really was like playing with 9 players on the pitch.

Studge and Lallana both hampered everything the rest of the side were trying to do by being too slow to close anyone down or try to get into space when we had the ball. You can forgive Lallana because he's been out so long so was always going to be rusty, and you know he's good at a pressing game when he's occasionally fit, but I think Saturday showed that Studge should only be used from the bench.

Before the game you were talking about how I didn't know nothing because I don't see Lallana in training. Now you're talking about him being Klopps only option and that he did well in training.
There were several options, Fabinho, Wijnaldum even fucking TAA but he picked Lallana who obviously want ready, looked out of sorts and was ultimately subbed.
He did absolutely nothing in that game.
It really was like playing with 9 players on the pitch.

I didn't say you know nothing. I just said Klopp was right more often than you, and that was probably due to him being on the training field. I am aware that the situation would probably inyour favoure if you spent time on Melwood and he sat in Ørnskøldsvik…

Yes there were several options. However Gini got a well deserved rest due to Heavy involvement so far, incl Internationals, and Fabinho was one of those who traveled most during the break. None of them would have provided the midfield With a creative spark that we have lacked so far in the season.

I didn't say you know nothing. I just said Klopp was right more often than you, and that was probably due to him being on the training field. I am aware that the situation would probably inyour favoure if you spent time on Melwood and he sat in Ørnskøldsvik…

Yes there were several options. However Gini got a well deserved rest due to Heavy involvement so far, incl Internationals, and Fabinho was one of those who traveled most during the break. None of them would have provided the midfield With a creative spark that we have lacked so far in the season.
What creative spark?!

What creative spark?!

Exactly my point. There is a lot of hard work and miles covered in the midfield we have used so far. But not to much creativity a la Coutnho or Ox. Hence I think the reason behind putting Shaquiri in there is to provide the midfield trio With someone who can carry the ball through presslevels as well as give them a bit more creativity and a nice pass here and there. Not Shakiris best game but he had a lovely assist. It must also be mentioned that neither Lallana nor Sturridge looked Sharp enough to open a defence so that didn't help Shakiri either.

Agreed, said as much in the match thread, it was like we were playing with ten men at times, Sturridge is so ineffectual at everything but scoring goals lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom