• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I was wrong (about a player) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhorizon2

Very Active
Just wanted to know who amongst us would admit that they were wrong about a player. Either you were over the moon that the club signed him and he turned out to be shit or really pissed off that club spunked the cash on what you thought was wank but turned out he made you cream yourself (okay a bit strong but you know what I mean). You can post what other posters got wrong too.

The most recent is Flanagan, I guess. I thought he was destined for the lower leagues but luck gave him an opportunity and he seems to have grasped it with both hands.

I thought Carroll could have gone on to be a monster if he knuckled down and we looked after him. He's obviously just a drunken lump.

I thought Kewell would be great. I think everyone did. Cisse, too.

In recent years I've been pretty much spot on with my predictions.

I'm trying to think of some of the current squad... I think Markovic will be boss, and I think Valdes might be past it. Nothing too outrageous.

Babel, Gonzales, Carroll, Morientes......fucking loads. Im like an a kid when we sign ANY player I think they will be beast.
Exceptions are ones we already KNOW are shit like Cole, Downing etc.
In my head Lazar Markovic is gonna be better than Thierry Henry.

On the flip side I thought after his first few months in the first time Raheem wouldnt make it. Glad to be wrong on that one.

Flanagan is all I can think of. He played RWB against Arsenal and I felt he was a very limited player. A few weeks later he was at his swashbuckling best against Everton and he hasn't looked back since.

fuck there are loads . From the current team Henderson is thankfully proving me very wrong . Although i stand by alot of my comments at the time , he wasn't good enough his first season and a bit plus he had balls the size of M&Ms . So it's great to see the progress he's made .

Actually i must admit i thought joe Cole might prove a decent player for us , sitting in behind torres . Christ .

And let's not talk about phill babb !

Aurelio. Not only did I think he was physically pathetic and injury prone but I thought he was pretty dire even when he was fit when he first arrived.

As it turned out, he was physically pathetic and injury prone, but when he was fit he was actually pretty good.

Reactions: Fox
Do reserves count?

In that case I'd have to join the Flanno club.
I'd add Pacheco, Suso and Robinson to that list as well.

Diouf.
Tbf many of the players we signed we're unknown to me, like Vignal, Cheyrou, Josemi, Nunez etc so I didn't really have an opinion on them. Same goes for successful signings like Arbeloa, Alonso, Garcia etc.

Suarez. After his antics in the previous WC (Handball for the Nigerian game) I felt he would be trouble. Well, he was a whole lot of trouble in the end, but damn some of his play made it worth it.
Going further back, Sami Hyypia. Granted I had never seen him play prior, and I wanted a big name signing for the defence that season. That is probably the biggest ever facepalm prediction from me

Senior players whom I thought would go on to be great for us:
- Kewell

Youngsters whom I thought would go on to have good careers with us:
- Babel, Le Tallec, Pongolle, Shelvey, Guthrie, Nemeth

I'd never written him off, but I didn't see Sterling improving into the player he is now.

I just saw a fast kid with a poor final ball and whose personal life seemed an absolute shambles.

Always felt the criticism of Kewell has been harsh.

Hard to find any consistency in your performances if your constantly injured ... not to mention he played the entire time at Liverpool with broken bones in his foot which were somehow missed by our medical staff.

Why is it harsh?

The question is whether people thought he'd be good, and many did.
I did.

He was shite.

End of story.
Whether he was injured or not isnt the question.

There are too many names on this list that is bound to depress; if we're thinking of players we thought would be good but turned out shit.

Lets see : Diouf, Konchesky and carroll i knew would be shit, but didnt think would be that shit.
I thought Cole would be good.

I was wrong about Le Gems .... Granted, I had barely seen them but hype got the best of me.

Agger ... thought he'd be excellent (Sorry @Modo)

Horrenderson. I didn't think he'd get much better but he did.

To be fair Rodgers tried to flog him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom