1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Ian St John

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by bluebell, Jul 31, 2020.

1. bluebell

bluebell Well-Known Member

Looked Stoke, glad he looks really healthy

Mamma Mia likes this.
  2. Silver Sean

Silver Sean Well-Known Member

Met him a few times. Top man.

3. gkmacca

gkmacca SCM Addict Member

I think that video was filmed a year or so ago, but I hope he's well. He was awful during 'The Frenchman's' era, but he's been a great servant to the club. (And that left hook of his - fabulous!)

Wilko7 and bluebell like this.
  4. Richey

Richey Well-Known Member

Thanks, that was it! I knew there was a point when he was very vocal in his criticism of the club. I thought it was the Souness era, but yeah, it was under Houllier. I think it was Tommy Smith who didn't like Souness.

I remember seeing that footage of St John fighting years ago. It came as a bit of a shock, as my only image of him then was of him spending an hour every Saturday lunchtime laughing with Jimmy Greaves on ITV.

5. Judge Jules

Judge Jules SCM Addict Member

Tommy Smith, God rest him, didn't like anybody as far as I could tell.  Mind you he wasn't the only one who didn't like Souness as Liverpool manager.

I was a "Saint and Greavsie" habitué as well.  Ah, the memories. :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Athens and Richey like this.
  6. mark1975

mark1975 Moderator Moderator

I like St John, especially in latter years and back in the 80's on TV. During Houllier's reign though I guess he was just old fashioned and stuck in tradition, he was unkind and disrespectful to him from the off.

I remember being on the way back from our 1-0 defeat against Watford at Anfield, I think it was Ged's first home game in sole charge and St John said that Houllier had brought in all these players no one has heard of, and basically asked one of the pundits if they thought the likes of Sami was any good. "Who's this Smicer lad?" blah blah. We were dreadful in that game, just very flat and couldn't get a goal, but Sami played really well and didn't put a foot wrong. Carragher spent the game saying "Sorry Sander" and Matteo was typically one dimensional. It was going to take a bit of time, but it didn't take long. The best players on the park that day were Sami and David Thompson, Gerrard was woeful and was for a few more games.

7. Judge Jules

I remember a suggestion back in the day that Houllier and St.John had had some kind of falling-out behind the scenes and that that was why St.John had it in for him.

Incidentally, while I never saw it myself I also remember a story about a notice outside a church in Liverpool saying "What would you do if Jesus came back?", underneath which someone wrote "Move St.John to inside-left".

8. Richey

Richey Well-Known Member

Was it some kind of loyalty to Evans? I mean, I can understand that, but if he had an issue then it should have been with the club rather than Houllier.

mark1975 likes this.
  9. bluebell

bluebell Well-Known Member

Even Tommy would have loved Klopp. Heard Mark Lawrenson describe Klopp as Shanklyesk

10. Judge Jules

I heard it was because Houllier curtailed his access privileges.  Maybe he did so after St.John began to snipe at him, in which case loyalty to Uncle Roy might well have been the original reason for that.

Richey likes this.
  11. Athens

Athens Greatest Bloke Ever [Citation Needed] Member

Did you feel sorry for Greavsie that time they were on the ferry and his hat blew off*?

*It might not have been a ferry, and there's a chance I remember this from It'll Be Alright on the Night.

12. mark1975

mark1975 Moderator Moderator

Anyone remember Jimmy holding the punch bag for Tyson?

13. Richey

Richey Well-Known Member

I don’t recall that, sadly.

I do however recall (probably only because I have been reminded of it in recent years) that Saint and Greavsie once had Donald Trump on as a guest to help do the draw for the Rumbelows/Littlewoods Cup!

14. Athens

Athens Greatest Bloke Ever [Citation Needed] Member

Was it a rigged draw?

Mamma Mia likes this.
  15. gkmacca

gkmacca SCM Addict Member

I love that fight. Partly because the Fulham (?) guy falls down like in a cartoon, and partly because of the beauty of teamwork - I think it's Peter Thompson who thoughtfully holds the lad so St john can really get a clean hit:

mark1975 likes this.
  16. Richey

Richey Well-Known Member

it was the greatest draw. Everyone said that he does the best draws and, you know, he should do the draws all the time because he just did such a great job with the draws.

mark1975 likes this.
  17. Jack D Rips

Jack D Rips Very Well-Known Member

Ian Callaghan down the right wing, crosses for St John to score the winner with a diving header. 1965 FA cup final. The day i started supporting Liverpool F.C.

18. Wilko7

Wilko7 Very Active Member

It wasn't Souness that Tommy despised. It was Emlyn Hughes to whom he lost the captaincy.

19. Richey

Richey Well-Known Member

Oh it was definitely Hughes that he hated the most. I think his dislike of Souness started when Souness was manager. Smith was writing for the Echo and was slagging Souness off every week.

Similar to Houllier and St John, Souness didn't take too kindly to it and banned Smith from being behind the scenes at Anfield (he politely requested it, according to Souness, which seems unlikely for the 1992 version of Souness).

As has been said, I think the list of people Smith didn't care for at one time or another was quite long.

20. Portly

Portly Top quality gammon. Member

I was there!  

My mate and I set off to hitch hike to London on the Friday afternoon but we were too lucky with our lifts, so that we arrived quite early on Friday evening.  We tried sleeping in various places such as Kensington Gardens and Victoria Station, but it was impossible.  

As you can see in the video Fulham's Mark Pearson pulled St. John down by his hair - yes he had hair then - and Saint floored him with a great punch.  Even then, this was considered a serious offence and St. John was sent off.  Liverpool lost.  

After the game we were looking for a lift back to Liverpool.  A football coach driver said two people had not turned up for the return journey, and he accepted a ten shilling note from each of us.  Unfortunately, just as the coach was pulling off, the two latecomers arrived and claimed their seats.  We spent the return trip standing up by the driver.   Every so often I would fall asleep, but woke up as my legs were buckling under me.

Mamma Mia and gkmacca like this.