• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I'm Lovren it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, when did I ever say signing VVD for £50million was a good idea? I'm pretty sure I made a thread 2 days ago saying the very opposite, please get your facts right!

Whats facts got to do With anything? We are on footie forum for gods sake!!! ;-)

Where does it say he's on 100k a week?

Klopp brought in a new GK after handing Mingolet a new long-term contract. Let's just hope a CB is coming in the summer and we have better luck this time.

Echo reported that the wages are close to 100k a week. They've also reported that van Dijk is our top CB target, so we will be buying one regardless.

I'm talking about Lovren
Oh, as a third choice centre back he's a good choice, do you disagree with that?

If your problem is purely money, I wouldn't disagree, but I'd rather he as third choice than Klavan.

Oh, as a third choice centre back he's a good choice, do you disagree with that?

If your problem is purely money, I wouldn't disagree, but I'd rather he as third choice than Klavan.

So he's a good signing if he's not going to play much ?

So he's a good signing if he's not going to play much ?
He's a good third choice, if we get in the champions league next season he'll get a lot of games, even if we don't, one injury leaves us with Klavan, or worse Lucas, thats cost us dearly this season, and with Matips injury record I don't want to be in that position again. I didn't realise you were against squad depth?

Yeah, i am against squad depth. I think we should just have 11 players.

If you don't see the problem with signing an injury prone 27 year old, who has had half a season of good form in 3 years, to a long expensive contract then we're not going to ever be on the same page.

On its own its a poor decision. But it gets worse when you look at the knock on consequences of it. What wages do you think the agent of whatever centre back we're now going to sign is going to look for ?

How can we, with a straight face, deny Can £100k a week ? If i was his agent i'd be looking for 150k now.

Is the £100,000 figure coming from the Daily Fail? This is the same outfit which reported that Lallana's new deal is worth £150,000 when it's likely to be just a shed over £100,000 per week. I'd take off a third to get the true figure. And £67,000 isn't bad for Lovren.

Last edited:
Bizzare post.

If he hadn't impressed Klopp, he would not have tied him Down on a long contract (or allowed it to happen)? I don't state anywhere if that is a right or wrong decision. He still manage the club and hence have the final saying on how the first team looks? I know its Friday, but it is still a bit early sinking into the ales?

But the whole "if Klopp rates him, then that's good enough for me" stance is just stupid. He rated Karius and Klavan too.

And? Karius can still be a good player for us. And Klavan is a 4th choice CB bought for 4,2 mill.

If you don't see the problem with signing an injury prone 27 year old, who has had half a season of good form in 3 years, to a long expensive contract then we're not going to ever be on the same page.

On its own its a poor decision. But it gets worse when you look at the knock on consequences of it. What wages do you think the agent of whatever centre back we're now going to sign is going to look for ?

How can we, with a straight face, deny Can £100k a week ? If i was his agent i'd be looking for 150k now.
What's your criteria for injury prone?

I don't think Lovren is injury-prone. It's just unlucky that he's missed some games this season with flu and whatnot.

Just to throw this out here, but everyone is assuming third choice CB isn't gonna play that much.

However we're seeing more & more teams playing three CB's with attacking wing backs in the Premiership now, & Klopp has also tried it a couple of times this season, as such I don't think it's much of a stretch to think he is considering playing it a lot more & having three quality centre-backs would make that much easier to do.

But the whole "if Klopp rates him, then that's good enough for me" stance is just stupid. He rated Karius and Klavan too.

Not sure whats that all about mate. I Said that he must have sjøen he is buying into what the Klopp team is demanding to be part of the future here, or else og wouldn't happen. It got nothing to do with me, and is probably not a big deal anyway, but clearly counts for something for the players rewarded New contracts.

I dont think Can is entitled to much more than Lovren. I would put them in exact same wage group. Internationals with same position (not on the field) in the squad. Not the first name on the teamsheet, but in a position to command a first XI place if you just rice your worst level

Just to throw this out here, but everyone is assuming third choice CB isn't gonna play that much.

However we're seeing more & more teams playing three CB's with attacking wing backs in the Premiership now, & Klopp has also tried it a couple of times this season, as such I don't think it's much of a stretch to think he is considering playing it a lot more & having three quality centre-backs would make that much easier to do.

That means he needs to buy at least two top quality CBs

How many players do?

I guess my point is nearly all players pick up the odd injury, I wouldn't call them injury prone

Well he hasn't played many more career games than Sturridge - who is the same age.

So maybe Sturridge isn't injury prone then ?

Lovren is ok. No worries about him. Not til many of the other teams have 2 far better CB than him. I mean out CB's are also a victim for how we can't shield them as a team. Put Lovren in a Mourinho team that has two deep lying mids in front and fullbacks helped out by everyone. No prob.

Chelsea got better probably. Spurs too. Arsenal, City and United not. Everton and that group not.

Think it is safe to assume that 100 K a week is the range we need to pay these days.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...tars-wages-REVEALED-Jesse-Lingard-s-deal.html

[article]Jesse Lingard was rewarded by Manchester United for his fine form over the past two seasons with a bumper contract worth up to £100,000-a-week on Thursday.
The 24-year-old put pen to paper on a four-year deal that sees him tied to the club until 2021 and earning £75,000-a-week, although that figure will increase by £25,000 if United qualify for next season’s Champions League.[/article]

This was at the beginning of the month.

24 year old with a handful of first team appearances (let alone starts) getting £100k per week. It's clear the figures (both transfer fees and wages) are no longer 'rationale' (if they ever were). Also worth noting is the wages are 'conditional'. Will be surprised if our players' ones aren't similarly structured.

I'm not sure I'm with my brother @Mystic with this being good news. He's been soooooooo patchy. I'd be ok with him being 3rd choice.

If you aren't prepared to pay for a decent back up, then you wont have squad depth, it's quite simple, we'll continue to have shite like we have in the past. For me it makes sense to buy an improvement for the first team and use the former first teamer as backup, as we look like we're going to do with our questionable decision to sign VVD. You seem to think buying smart is the answer, it is, but the chances of us signing a more capable player than Lovren for significantly cheaper is rather small.

He's 27, he's entering the peak years of his career as a defender, and he's clearly improving under Klopp; this renewal makes sense, and if I'm honest, I'm not sure 100k is all that much in this market anymore when you consider our highest earner earns twice as much.

Maybe that's where our core difference lies, I think the club can afford 100k for third choice and you don't, when in reality neither of us know either way. Fwiw I'd give Can the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom