• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Is Gerrard back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreambeliever

From Doubter to Believer (to doubter again)
3 goals in 3 games 2 assists and an all round improvement in his game.

Has it anything to do with Allen being dropped/rested?

Or was it just a matter of time before such a legend would start scoring again?

I want to believe he's back but he looked utterly spent in the last 10 against Stoke.

It was one of his best efforts from distance that we've seen from him in some time and his pen was absolutely superb. That said, he's not driving through the ball the way he can - once he actually hits one (on target) with that ferocity I'll start to believe.

He's improved in the last 2 games; for me, the Fulham game was his best in a long while. Against Stoke, the penalty was superb, the whole team was off, but I thought his effort was there as opposed to some other games. Those eyebrows are positively scary though.

Back?

Been on the wane for two years or more. Think he get's picked purely on the fact that Rodgers doesn't have enough balls to drop him.

But sssshhhhhhhhh, some people don't want to know this.

I want to believe he's back but he looked utterly spent in the last 10 against Stoke.

It was one of his best efforts from distance that we've seen from him in some time and his pen was absolutely superb. That said, he's not driving through the ball the way he can - once he actually hits one (on target) with that ferocity I'll start to believe.

He's not done that for some time though, his threat from distance has become less and less apparent over about the last 5 years, even with Torres he was scoring more from moves than just planting one in from distance. Strangely enough, since Allen went out the side he's played deeper, looked better and scored a couple. So..

No he is not. And don't expect him back. Any great performances now will be the exception not the rule, as he's on the wrong end of his career.
Great guy, great servant to this club, dragged us single handedly out of the shit more times than I can count, but he's a wank captain, and he's play now is pretty sloppy and shit.

On a good day he's about 70-80% of the player he was.

Unfortunately that's still often just about better than the alternatives - and still a damn sight better than the likes of Shelvey at this point in time.

We need a strong, dynamic midfielder more about pace and power than technique to come into the midfield.

I've said this before, but Rodgers couldn't have done worse to bring the best out of an aging Gerrard. The deeper he plays, the more his deficiencies are accentuated. At this age, we need to start using him as an impact player in the final third, which has always been the strongest aspect of his play. In a good team, Gerrard playing in the final third will still get you 15 goals a season, and I can say with full confidence that he'll have this ability for another 2-3 years. People underestimate just how good a player he is technically or in terms of final-third intelligence.

Drawing him back deep is fucking retarded. He hasn't played there since Houllier's era, and even then Ged used to prefer having two of Hamann, McAllister and Murphy sitting (with Gerrard as the third midfielder), and he's never had the patience or dare I say the skillset to be a tempo-creating player. It's like trying to teach an old dog new tricks. Doesn't work, and it'll achieve nothing for the team or for Gerrard.

Unfortunately, this has almost become a blind-spot, and we're seeing him play there week after week, and consequently a weak, dysfunctional midfield.

The best managers sort out the spine first - Rafa did it - converting Carra to full-time centre-half and buying Alonso. Ged did it buying Henchoz, Hyypia and Hamann. Even Kenny managed it decently in his first six months, dropping Carra - getting the Agger, Skrtel partnership going, and putting together a functional midfield of Lucas-Spearing-Meireles (different matter that he completely destroyed it last season). Rodgers hasn't shown any signs of addressing it. His midfield, week after week, has been piss poor, and he's not really shown any sign of rectifying it. His only midfield signing has been Allen, who I really rate, but is NOT a 'spine' player. If anything, I see him as a luxury playmaker in the Nasri, Ramsey mould. He has, of course, been seriously handicapped by Lucas' injury so I've cut him slack till now, but he's had alternatives - like for instance throwing Henderson in the holding role, pushing Gerrard and Allen further up, and bringing Şahin (who, I do believe, is a 'spine' player) back to his natural position. He's done none of those, and it's seriously frustrating me now. The key to a consistent team is a regularly functional midfield, and we never see it.

When that's compounded by the thinnest attacking force in recent history, and a central defence that's struggling to replicate last year's form, you really can't expect anything more than the turgid shit we've been served so far.

I'm sort of perplexed by the split opinion on the forum in re: the quality of the squad and Rodgers' performance so far. It's absolutely right to say that in terms of value for money, our squad is piss poor. It's even right to say that in terms of absolute value, our squad is nowhere near good enough to get a top 4 squad.

But it's also completely right to say that in absolute value terms, our squad is well good enough to be in the top 6 position. It was my one of my two gripes with Kenny last season (the larger one being his horrendous performance in the transfer market) - that a squad with top 6 potential finished 12 points off it. If Rodgers does the same, I'll have a pretty serious issue with him as well. I WILL cut him slack because he's had none of the financial backing Kenny had, and he hasn't really squandered money in the transfer window (yet). But the idea of getting a new manager wasn't really to get our transfer policy back in place, but to (a) get the best out of the squad and (b) set a new, consistent pattern of play throughout the club, and currently Rodgers isn't doing either.

A-3cJTFCIAEjaja.jpg

Posted by Xabi's wife on instagram.

Fwiw, I think you have it spot on Dmishra.

The only thing I'd add is that I'm not sure Gerrard is a ninety minute player these days and we might be better served by bringing him off the bench every now and again

Gerrard was allways here... as he was when he and lampard shaddowed each other for england.. He needs his space and free allowance. Adam and Allen have stepped in his way for too long.

What is with Xabi and family?

Every time he comes out it seems to be him talking up Gerrard and, indirectly, Liverpool.

Is he wanting out of Madrid? Does he miss Liverpool or does he just miss playing with Stevie?

If he played with better players the inevitable weaknesses that have become part of his game because of old age would have been better managed. Instead they are exposed ever more frequently and more importantly, taken advantage of by teams.

Thought he had a good game today, again. Great cross for Aggers goal.
Loved his tackle on Fabio.

20 games 4 goals and 6 assists so far in the league

Hopefully he has a great 2013

He didnt actually, that was taken horrendously out of context. As everything usually is.

Gerrard looked like he cared today, good to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom