• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

It's a funny old game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreambeliever

From Doubter to Believer (to doubter again)
46 minutes into the Wigan game it was the same old same old from us. Neat passing in the middle and back third but not penetration up top. Very few changes and bar Suarez doing a Suarez and creating a goal from nothing we weren't looking likely. It had another 0-0 written all over it. The knives were already coming out in the match thread and even the tactical change of bringing on Hendo (who did very well) didn't seem to make much difference at all. Presumably it was done to release Allen a bit but he had a very quiet game as did Gerrard. In fact it was a cardon copy of every home game we've played against weaker sides at Anfield in 2012.

Then a defender slips, Sterling takes advantage and Suarez finishing brilliantly. Suddenly players are flooding into the box from everywhere. Enrique (who had plenty of shockingly poor moments in the first half) became a world beater, dribbling in space threading passes, turning up in the box and scoring. Sterling began to get space and even Hendo popped up with a chance.

Wigan's confidence drained away as ours grew exponentially. And it all came from a slip. Suddenly for 45 minutes we looked superb, slick, full of ideas and full of quality players. Rodgers was hailed as a tactical genius, Enrique was MOTM (I'm guessing anyone who thought this ahead of Suarez didn't watch the first half) and the pass and move groove was back.

For alot of this season we haven't gotten the breaks our play has deserved and yesterday perhaps we got a break we didn't deserve but what a difference it made to our fragile confidence. I can only begin to imagine where we might be if some of our changes in earlier games had gone in when we were dominating.

Hopefully this will be the watershed moment for this team and we can continue our run (7 unbeaten now) but funny how it took a slip from a defender to kick start us into playing our best football in 6 months.

46 minutes into the Wigan game it was the same old same old from us. Neat passing in the middle and back third but not penetration up top. Very few changes and bar Suarez doing a Suarez and creating a goal from nothing we weren't looking likely. It had another 0-0 written all over it. The knives were already coming out in the match thread and even the tactical change of bringing on Hendo (who did very well) didn't seem to make much difference at all. Presumably it was done to release Allen a bit but he had a very quiet game as did Gerrard. In fact it was a cardon copy of every home game we've played against weaker sides at Anfield in 2012.

Then a defender slips, Sterling takes advantage and Suarez finishing brilliantly. Suddenly players are flooding into the box from everywhere. Enrique (who had plenty of shockingly poor moments in the first half) became a world beater, dribbling in space threading passes, turning up in the box and scoring. Sterling began to get space and even Hendo popped up with a chance.

Wigan's confidence drained away as ours grew exponentially. And it all came from a slip. Suddenly for 45 minutes we looked superb, slick, full of ideas and full of quality players. Rodgers was hailed as a tactical genius, Enrique was MOTM (I'm guessing anyone who thought this ahead of Suarez didn't watch the first half) and the pass and move groove was back.

For alot of this season we haven't gotten the breaks our play has deserved and yesterday perhaps we got a break we didn't deserve but what a difference it made to our fragile confidence. I can only begin to imagine where we might be if some of our changes in earlier games had gone in when we were dominating.

Hopefully this will be the watershed moment for this team and we can continue our run (7 unbeaten now) but funny how it took a slip from a defender to kick start us into playing our best football in 6 months.

Erm, have you cut and paste the second part of this effort from somewhere?

I'm not sure if I'm being set up here but go on then.

No it hasn't I havent read the wigan post match thoughts and thread yet this morning (if there is one) I was to busy reading the Shane long one.

I'm not sure if I'm being set up here but go on then.

No it hasn't I havent read the wigan post match thoughts and thread yet this morning (if there is one) I was to busy reading the Shane long one.

No, I just couldn't understand why you had two different fonts going on.

Oh ya I just noticed that, I had to flick out of it mid way through to send a couple of emails so I must have kept the font. First week with Outlook 2010 still learning the ropes.

You're right though, it was looking like another frustrating afternoon up until the goal which we got before a bit of panic set in.

If we can score first next week I expect more of the same. Will be interesting to see if Enrique keeps his spot and if Hendo gets the nod.

Dreambeliever, your avatar looks like some weirdo stalker at a Blue and One Direction meet.
I was more a BSB fan myself. It was NYE at Pete's ex's house in Liverpool. Funny night. No boybands though sadly.

If we can score first next week I expect more of the same. Will be interesting to see if Enrique keeps his spot and if Hendo gets the nod.

Would be surprised if Enrique didn't start against Swansea. Tough call re Henderson/Suso - it's Gerrard thats the most pedestrain in our midfield.
He's so one paced and lacking in energy and drive nowadays, it's actually sad to watch.

Would be surprised if Enrique didn't start against Swansea. Tough call re Henderson/Suso - it's Gerrad thats the most pedestrain in our midfield.
He's so one paced and lacking in energy and drive nowadays, it's actually sad to watch.

It wouldn't be the catastrophe it once was if he got an injury at the moment and that's a sad thing to admit indeed.

Yeah it was a game of two halves, and the goals direct matches, etc etc. But the first 45 mins reminded me of this 10+ years of Liverpool matches. This Gorundhog day we seem to relive year out and year in. I am being extremelly unfair to Rafa a.o. here as we of course had brilliant periods under various managers, but the end result seem to be no thrill, no rockn roll and no end result at all. Why is this transfering from manager to manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom