• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"It's complicated"? -- No it isn't, fuck off Barca - £113 Million bid rejected

The inside story of why Liverpool simply couldn't buckle and sell Philippe Coutinho to a man they used to know

[article]
Five years separates two stories involving the same characters; one prevalent in this country, the another not so well known. They are tales that go some way towards explaining why Barcelona were so forceful in their attempt to sign Philippe Coutinho but ultimately, why their attempt will prove not to be quite forceful enough.

It was in July 2012 when Pep Segura, then the technical manager at Liverpool’s academy, ended his three-year association at the club after previously being told by Liverpool’s owner, John W. Henry, he had earned a promotion.

Before Brendan Rodgers became Liverpool’s manager, Henry and Segura held a three-hour meeting and it was concluded that Segura would become Liverpool’s new sporting director, filling the administrative space left behind by Damien Comolli’s sacking a few months earlier.

Rodgers, though, had other ideas, insisting his own appointment would not involve another tier of management above him. For Segura – a decent man, and someone respected inside Liverpool particularly for his contribution towards the development of Raheem Sterling – there was reasonable embarrassment when he arrived at Melwood for the start of pre-season training only to find out then there would be no place for him in the new set-up.

Despite his efforts to contact Henry about his proposed fresh responsibilities, the line of communication had gone stone cold since Rodgers’s arrival. Though he expected that plans had changed, Segura was upset and angry that he had found out this way and so, on that July morning, rather than driving to the academy in Kirkby as he had been told to by Rodgers, he resigned on the spot – though the announcement of his departure was made a month later.

Those who knew Segura best from his time at Liverpool describe him as a professional and so, his hurt was understandable considering he had been treated without the necessary level of respect. Sources in Catalonia, meanwhile, say Segura has a long memory. Now Barcelona’s general manager having returned to the club where he built his coaching reputation, and as the person overseeing player recruitment, it is told he has viewed the signing of Coutinho as a personal mission.

While Coutinho is seen as a long-term successor for the fading Andrés Iniesta, the whiplash of his own departure from Liverpool still stings and it is said he would like nothing better than to expose Fenway Sports Group’s collective stance over Coutinho’s future as total mush.

It was a small but significant detail when Fenway released a “definitive” statement earlier this month, outlining that Coutinho would not be sold, this was not a statement released by Liverpool FC but by its ownership group, a statement, indeed, that was not signed off by any person in particular as they often are when something important is announced.

Hour-by-hour, day-to-day, week-to-week, Henry does not have much involvement in the decision-making processes at the club and instead, key issues are dealt with by Jürgen Klopp, Michael Edwards, Liverpool’s sporting director, and Mike Gordon, Fenway’s president.

Henry only intervenes when he really needs to and this was one of his calls. Before Coutinho had submitted his transfer request, Henry knew that his scan, taken on Tuesday August 8, for mysterious back strain had returned without obvious signs of injury. He knew as well that two days later a 3pm meeting involving Edwards and Coutinho’s representatives had not gone well at all. Any owner of a well-run football club should also be informed and be able to imagine what might follow when a star player signs a new five year-contract – as Coutinho did in January – but proceeds to only agree a short-term lease on his home, especially when it has already been reported that Barcelona are interested in him.

Those that have dealt with Henry regularly know how he is capable of brain lapses, instances where he has appeared completely engrossed on a subject one moment and unreachable the next. Particularly relating to Liverpool matters, perhaps living on the other side of an ocean while running a business empire where Anfield forms only a part of his thoughts contributes towards the way he approaches things. Perhaps, indeed, this is why Segura found himself isolated very quickly from what seemed a position of promise.

Henry’s distance from Merseyside has not helped in the past because he has not been around to cast judgements for himself. He has instead relied on the opinions of his appointments, which have been bad ones too often – meaning that he has only acted when it has been too late, contributing towards a generally negative impression of his and Fenway’s intentions.

Having decided that Coutinho would stay, he could not afford to back down particularly when the transfer market did not map out exactly the way Liverpool or its febrile supporter base would have wanted in terms of incomings. Fenway have been determined to change Liverpool’s reputation and by not relenting to Coutinho’s wishes, for the time being at least, it sends a message to their own players as well as rivals that this is not a selling club.
Any other outcome would have been received as deception and from then on, it is hard to see how any of the messages coming out of Liverpool would ever be trusted again.
[/article]

It'll all be forgotten once he breaks the deadlock in a tight game.

Big season coming up boys.

Perhaps some form of sponsorship deal will solve the problem. :p Some players will probably leave too (Draxler, Moura, Pastore etc.).

Yeah, FFP means nothing when you own a country & hundreds of multinational companies who can set up sponsorship deals to fund player purchases!

[article]Brazil coach Tite was reluctant yesterday to enter the debate over the future of Liverpool midfielder Philippe Coutinho.

Coutinho remains hopeful of signing for Barcelona today.

Asked about his midfielder, Tite would only say: "Of course I've talked to Coutinho, but I know my limit and I cannot talk about one club or another, I try to be discreet and fair, so I only recommended that he try to be happy.

"I am not a manager, and therefore I do not have to evaluate the financial conditions, my concern is on the field, which is a very different reality."
[/article]

Last edited:
[article]Real Madrid's boardroom have scoffed at Barcelona's battle to land Liverpool midfield ace Philippe Coutinho, it has been revealed.

Those inside the Real brainstrust have dubbed Coutinho 'Andre Gomes Mk II' and are convinced Barca are over-paying and over-rating the Brazilian.

If a deal is done today, Barca will have to part with at least €150m, which has amazed Real president Florentino Perez and his directors.

Diario Gol says Real rejected Coutinho when offered the midfielder several years ago and recall he made little impact when with Espanyol.

They also question where Coutinho will fit in Barca's system, as he's not a natural attacker like Neymar, nor a genuine midfielder like captain Andres Iniesta.

Florentino has confided to friends he sees Barca making the same mistakes as Joan Gaspart did with the money Real paid for Luis Figo, when the former Blaugrana president failed to put the cash raised to good use.
[/article]

He can go today.

For a world record fee.

You would think the lad would've started to think about a game plan to atleast survive the season but no, he cries like a bitch infront of the world as if he's just scored in memory of a relative or something.

Knuckle down and play so well that Barca have no choice but to make an offer the club cant refuse next summer.

[article]Real Madrid's boardroom have scoffed at Barcelona's battle to land Liverpool midfield ace Philippe Coutinho, it has been revealed.

Those inside the Real brainstrust have dubbed Coutinho 'Andre Gomes Mk II' and are convinced Barca are over-paying and over-rating the Brazilian.

If a deal is done today, Barca will have to part with at least €150m, which has amazed Real president Florentino Perez and his directors.

Diario Gol says Real rejected Coutinho when offered the midfielder several years ago and recall he made little impact when with Espanyol.

They also question where Coutinho will fit in Barca's system, as he's not a natural attacker like Neymar, nor a genuine midfielder like captain Andres Iniesta.

Florentino has confided to friends he sees Barca making the same mistakes as Joan Gaspart did with the money Real paid for Luis Figo, when the former Blaugrana president failed to put the cash raised to good use.
[/article]
I am in sync with the Real brainstrust, whatever that might be..

I am in sync with the Real brainstrust, whatever that might be..

I think the Real brain trust are dicks. Coutinho is a player who is really coming into his prime and whilst the tag of the new Iniesta is a tough bill to live up to, I think he is as close as anybody out there to matching that skill-set. He used to be a bit hit and miss, but he has become more consistent, and if it were not for the injury last year, was being talked about as the potential PL player of the year. He'd fit in at Barca very well indeed.

I still doubt, regardless of injury, Coutinho would have been consistent throughout the season

Coutinho spotted leaving Melwood for international duty.
9e8d47b6636617aadbcbae3062f3b12b.gif

I still doubt, regardless of injury, Coutinho would have been consistent throughout the season
Well, he was showing levels of consistency we hadn't seen before. Up to his injury last season he was fantastic, and was being talked about ahead of the likes of Hazard and such like. We'll never know if he would have maintained it, but it is normal for consistency to be something that grows as a player matures into his mid 20s.

Well, he was showing levels of consistency we hadn't seen before. Up to his injury last season he was fantastic, and was being talked about ahead of the likes of Hazard and such like. We'll never know if he would have maintained it, but it is normal for consistency to be something that grows as a player matures into his mid 20s.
Philippe Coutinho | All games w/o FA Cup/League Cup

Season 16/17
28 Apps 13 Goals 7 Assists

Season 15/16
35 Apps 10 Goals 7 Assists

Season 14/15
36 Apps 5 Goals 5 Assists

By no means bad numbers, but if anyone talked about him being ahead of the likes of Hazard/Bruyne/Alli/Eriksen/Sanchez they must've meant form wise only, because those stats are not top drawer.

I know football is more than stats, of course it is, but when we talk about a 25-year-old attacking midfielder with a price tag of £100M+ I'd certainly expect more direct involvement in goals. When you then add that he's got a history with injuries then I am even more inclined to believe that Barca are over-valuing him.

Depends on the standards to which you're referring when making that judgment. Looking at Coutinho in isolation, yes they are. Looking at a possible deal in the context of today's transfer market, no they absolutely are not.

Philippe Coutinho | All games

Season 16/17
28 Apps 13 Goals 7 Assists

Season 15/16
35 Apps 10 Goals 7 Assists

Season 14/15
36 Apps 5 Goals 5 Assists

By no means bad numbers, but if anyone talked about him being ahead of the likes of Hazard/Bruyne/Alli/Eriksen/Sanchez they must've meant form wise only, because those stats are not top drawer.

I know football is more than stats, of course it is, but when we talk about a 25-year-old attacking midfielder with a price tag of £100M+ I'd certainly expect more direct involvement in goals. When you then add that he's got a history with injuries then I am even more inclined to believe that Barca are over-valuing him.

But this illustrates my theory that he has grown into a consistently good player. He was injured before Christmas but even after he came back in (March?) it took him a good few games to recapture his form (no doubt impacting upon his stats here). He also played the last handful of games in a deeper position. Now if he had played an extra 7 or 8 games then extrapolating he could have easily had another 3 goals and a couple of assists (and given his dip in form post injury, his overall figure could have been better still if he hadn't been injured). Anyway, it wasn't a direct comparison between Hazard and that type of player, but yes, was on his form and overall influence. He was contributing very clearly in important moments within games, like that amazing freekick that got us back into the game away to Arsenal.

In preseason, even with the exciting Salah and the return of Mane he stood out as the genius pulling the strings. Hopefully the wee cunt comes back and performs like he is capable, because I think he can be a player that warrants that price.

If one is to compare his stats with Iniesta by the way, he is massively more productive in terms of goals.

Depends on the standards to which you're referring when making that judgment. Looking at Coutinho in isolation, yes they are. Looking at a possible deal in the context of today's transfer market, no they absolutely are not.
If you forget about the price for a bit, because that is highly volatile as the market has shown recently with £20M players of last season now being sold for £50M etc., but instead asked the Q whether Barcelona could find better alternatives in the market than Coutinho, when it comes to create/score goals, then yeah, I believe they could and that's why I was a bit baffled when rumors occurred in Spring that he could Barca's number one transfer target come Summer.

I understood completely when they came in for Suarez, but this time around I am much more on the fence why I have also not been completely against cashing in if we could add players like Lemar/VvD etc. for the Coutinho money.

I'm hoping he shuts the fuck up, morphs from manchild to adult and carries out the professional contract he signed.

But this illustrates my theory that he has grown into a consistently good player. He was injured before Christmas but even after he came back in (March?) it took him a good few games to recapture his form (no doubt impacting upon his stats here). He also played the last handful of games in a deeper position. Now if he had played an extra 7 or 8 games then extrapolating he could have easily had another 3 goals and a couple of assists (and given his dip in form post injury, his overall figure could have been better still if he hadn't been injured). Anyway, it wasn't a direct comparison between Hazard and that type of player, but yes, was on his form and overall influence. He was contributing very clearly in important moments within games, like that amazing freekick that got us back into the game away to Arsenal.

In preseason, even with the exciting Salah and the return of Mane he stood out as the genius pulling the strings. Hopefully the wee cunt comes back and performs like he is capable, because I think he can be a player that warrants that price.

If one is to compare his stats with Iniesta by the way, he is massively more productive in terms of goals.
I get all that I really do, but it's the 'ifs' that are bugging me a bit I guess. IF he can play for a full season, IF he wasn't struggling with injury, IF he can show consistency.

I'm reading KHL's mind and he is comparing Coutinho in his mind with Eriksen, who he (wrongly, IMO), believes to be a superior player.

I've done everything within my power to refrain from mentioning him more than once in this thread.. but it's surely becoming increasingly difficult when you also appear to be a mind-reader.. because I think of him all the time.

But yeah, Eriksen is superior to Coutinho.

No way is Tin Tin a better player than Coutinho.
Indeed, outside of spurs fans and @khl I doubt many if any rate Eriksen above Coutinho..
But we have been here before and I have no desire to go back to that fruitless argument.

Indeed, outside of spurs fans and @khl I doubt many if any rate Eriksen above Coutinho..
But we have been here before and I have no desire to go back to that fruitless argument.

Me neither..

Btw, did you know that Coutinho scored 14 goals and assisted 9 goals last season in all comps?

And that Eriksen scored 12 goals and assisted 23 goals, all whilst looking like Tin Tin?

Back
Top Bottom