• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

January Dealings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still hopeful we can do something defensively, we seem to always be happy with what we have....which is ok if we have a fully fit squad, but we should know by now this is almost never the case with us. We went into the season with the smallest squad in the league with 4 competitions to compete in so the sensible thing to do in reinforce while we still can.
Actually we have one of the LARGEST squads in the PL : 30 players (only 25 for City and Arsenal) with only 3 or 4 clubs with more or level.

A top red is one who is close to the butt of the club hierarchy - nothing is ever wrong even when our players cannot run, or when we don't have enough players to cover serious injuries. They are the sort that buy into some Klopp's tinkering like playing Darwin Nunez in defence if need be so that the ownership does not have to spend any money.

A bottom red is someone who is passionate about change, and continuous development of Liverpool FC, and is always on the lookout for talent to replace our dross or to add to our talent pool.

Ok @Markeh ? - so what are you ? and do you know who we might get this January ? -, I checked out @StevieM 's linking us to "Fukin No-Whan", it's a fake link and he is at the Asian Cup so it would not benefit us immediately.

thanks for the explanation, i think I’m a straight red but both bottom and top red when the mood takes me

Actually we have one of the LARGEST squads in the PL : 30 players (only 25 for City and Arsenal) with only 3 or 4 clubs with more or level.

Binomial doesn’t do well when it comes to facts and things like that.

Reactions: dee
That's actually incorrect. How many u21's have you included there, 9?

What I've included is the actual squads submitted by the clubs to, and as listed by, the PL ;)

Then let's get it right?

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/liverpool-submit-premier-league-squad-2023-24

Meanwhile, U21 players – those born on or after January 1, 2002 – do not count towards the 25-man squad limit and clubs can field as many U21 players as they wish.

Liverpool's squad list (* = homegrown player)
Thiago Alcantara, Trent Alexander-Arnold*, Alisson Becker, Luis Diaz, Wataru Endo, Cody Gakpo, Paul Glatzel*, Joe Gomez*, Curtis Jones*, Caoimhin Kelleher*, Ibrahima Konate, Alexis Mac Allister, Joel Matip, Darwin Nunez, Andy Robertson, Mohamed Salah, Adrian, Dominik Szoboszlai, Vitezslav Jaros*, Diogo Jota, Kostas Tsimikas, Virgil van Dijk.

We've submitted a 22 man squad which includes names such as Adrian, Jaros and Glatzel.

That's actually incorrect. How many u21's have you included there, 9?

We registered 22 players and Gravenberch, Elliot, Quansah have all played a consistent considerable amount of games as would Badger if he’d been fit and thats not counting Bradley & Doak who’s played a few games.

There’s also Clark, Scanlon, McConnell, Chambers & Gordon who have also appeared this season.

We’ve used 29 players this season - how many more do you think we need?

& also Thiago is on that list so basically a 21 man squad.

So yes as I was saying, we have the smallest squad in the Prem.

There’s also Clark, Scanlon, McConnell, Chambers & Gordon who have also appeared this season

We’ve used 29 players this season - how many more do you think we need?

Too much reliance on kids as back up, plus they don't get used all that often (see the last 2 line ups in the cup competitions we fielded) which puts more emphasis on the small pool of senior players we have to carry us through. Ideally we could do with 1 or 2 more seniors in the squad.

& also Thiago is on that list so basically a 21 man squad.

So yes as I was saying, we have the smallest squad in the Prem.
Now do the same for City and Arsenal. As I said ... on the PL's own registered squad list we have 30 players (or 29 I forget now). WE registered them !

Now do the same for City and Arsenal. As I said ... on the PL's own registered squad list we have 30 players (or 29 I forget now). WE registered them !
I have no empathy for either clubs, they both spend a tonne more on players than we do.....they both have nowhere near the amount of injuries a season we do. Both clubs also have senior players out on loan such as Tierney, Lokonga, Tavares, Cancelo, Mcatee, Couto, Harwood-Bellis, Kabore etc.

Just gone through Arsenal's and they have a complete 25 man (senior) squad.

Raya - Ramsdale - Hein
White - Tomiyasu - Timber - Gabriel - Saliba - Zinchenko - Kiwior - Cedric
Rice - Partey - Odegaard - Havertz - Jorginho - Veira - Elneny - Smith-Rowe
Trossard - Martinelli - Nelson - Nketiah - Saka - Jesus

Too much reliance on kids as back up, plus they don't get used all that often (see the last 2 line ups in the cup competitions we fielded) which puts more emphasis on the small pool of senior players we have to carry us through. Ideally we could do with 1 or 2 more seniors in the squad.

I’ll give you the last sentence, but the rest is utter nonsense.

You get to register 25 players, we registered 22 and have 3 u21’s playing regularly, plus a load of other kids, we’re not relying on at all that play occasionally.

Every team has a squad roughly the same size.

I think Chelsea, Man City & Brighton registered about 20 players - so according to you, they have smaller squads than us.

I have no empathy for either clubs, they both spend a tonne more on players than we do.....they both have nowhere near the amount of injuries a season we do. Both clubs also have senior players out on loan such as Tierney, Lokonga, Tavares, Cancelo, Mcatee, Couto, Harwood-Bellis, Kabore etc.

Raya - Ramsdale - Hein

How many games have Hein, Partey, Elneny, Cedric & Timber played between them?

Arsenal have used 26 players this season - so despite us having “the smallest squad in the League” we’ve used more players than them.

Raya - Ramsdale - Hein
And City's 25 man squad includes Carson, Ortega, Phillips and Steffen - players who hardly ever get a game !

That said you've still not included U21 players but regulars in our side such as Gravenberch, Elliott, Quansah and Bajcetic (and there are 1/2 more who've played a part) but looking through the long list of U21 players listed for Arsenal and City I can not see even one regular ! So that's a little disingenuous isn't it.

Of course it means we have a very young squad now - but not a small squad as you infer.

This is who we should go all out to sign;

Bence Bocsák
@BenBocsak
Leny Yoro is the centre-back with the best defensive duels success rate (83.82%) and the best aerial duel success rate (80%) in all of Europe’s top five leagues this season. He also has the best pass completion rate in Ligue 1 (93.68%).

This kid is gonna be a superstar.

I’ll give you the last sentence, but the rest is utter nonsense.

You get to register 25 players, we registered 22 and have 3 u21’s playing regularly, plus a load of other kids, we’re not relying on at all that play occasionally.

Every team has a squad roughly the same size.

I think Chelsea, Man City & Brighton registered about 20 players - so according to you, they have smaller squads than us.

Are you actually having a laugh? The minutes would back that up, there is too much reliance on this small squad we have. We registered a 22 man squad and had to include Glatzel and Jaros to make up the numbers for the HG quota ffs.....they're not actually part of this squad, clearly.

Chelsea have one of the biggest squads in the league :D :D, what are you talking about.

Sanchez - Petrovic - Bettinelli
Gusto - James - Badiashile - Disasi - Silva - Chalobah - Sarr - Fofana - Chilwell - Cucurella
Enzo - Caicedo - Gallagher - Palmer
Sterling - Madueke - Broja - Jackson - Nkunku - Mudryk

This is even before you count the millions they paid for Ugochukwu, Chukwuemeka Lavia and Santos or the 100m striker they have out on loan....plus they're actively looking to sign players this window.

Are you actually having a laugh? The minutes would back that up, there is too much reliance on this small squad we have. We registered a 22 man squad and had to include Glatzel and Jaros to make up the numbers for the HG quota ffs.....they're not actually part of this squad, clearly.

Chelsea have one of the biggest squads in the league :D :D, what are you talking about.

Sanchez - Petrovic - Bettinelli
Gusto - James - Badiashile - Disasi - Silva - Chalobah - Sarr - Fofana - Chilwell - Cucurella
Enzo - Caicedo - Gallagher - Palmer
Sterling - Madueke - Broja - Jackson - Nkunku - Mudryk

This is even before you count the millions they paid for Ugochukwu, Chukwuemeka Lavia and Santos or the 100m striker they have out on loan....plus they're actively looking to sign players this window.

Do better research :

Chelsea’s registered squad of players over the age of 21 is 20 - you’ve listed a pile of U21 players, albeit some good ones.

They’ve used 33 players this season - more than us, with less games - and is it helping them.

I don’t think half their u21’s are any better than ours.

It’s just a complete and utter nonsense to claim we have one of the smallest squads in the league.

Man City, incidentally have used 29 players this season so far - the same as us - but that includes 3 players no longer at the club.

Do better research :

Chelsea’s registered squad of players over the age of 21 is 20 - you’ve listed a pile of U21 players, albeit some good ones.

They’ve used 33 players this season - more than us, with less games - and is it helping them.

I don’t think half their u21’s are any better than ours.

It’s just a complete and utter nonsense to claim we have one of the smallest squads in the league.

Sorry yes I did include ONE player under 21, so let's take Gusto out then shall we. WOW.

Difference with us is the likes of Chambers Bradley Doak Quansah and Harvey are actually UNDER the age of 21. We paid a total of 5m for the lot of them.

Stop trying to play your little tricks, it's not gonna work.

In the Fulham game if we start McConnell, Adrian and Musliakowski are we then going to see from you "but now we've used the same number of players as Chelsea!!!!" let's not be disingenious here. It's not a massive shortage, like I said......only by 1 or 2 players.

Last edited:
Sorry yes I did include ONE player under 21, so let's take Gusto out then shall we. WOW.

Difference with us is the likes of Chambers Bradley Doak Quansah and Harvey are actually UNDER the age of 21. We paid a total of 5m for the lot of them.

Stop trying to play your little tricks, it's not gonna work.

Well how about you take out Palmer & Maduke as well, since they’re classified as U21’s - which makes it the 20 man senior squad I told you it was.

Or are you going to keep digging a bigger hole for yourself by trying to bend the definition of what constitutes an U21 - because you’ll have to add Gravenberch to your list of out players & Quansah turns 21 in about 2 weeks time, or are you now going to start some pitiful argument about costing money somehow makes them, I dunno, more of a squadie.

You’re embarrassing yourself now.

This is tedious
Just having to explain to Stevie here what a small(er) squad looks like, few more times than I’d have liked as he couldn’t seem to grasp it first time round….I’ve moved on from it now.

This is who we should go all out to sign;

Bence Bocsák
@BenBocsak
Leny Yoro is the centre-back with the best defensive duels success rate (83.82%) and the best aerial duel success rate (80%) in all of Europe’s top five leagues this season. He also has the best pass completion rate in Ligue 1 (93.68%).

This kid is gonna be a superstar.
Aye, he looks to have incredible potential and will only improve for experience, being mentored by Virgil and putting on muscle. I’d be delighted if act decisively and get him in for the long term.

Why would this French kid want to leave Lille to become our 4th /5th choice defender?
Or if he's 3rd choice where does that leave Joey G and Quansah?
Also, we might extend Matip's contract, which makes it even more confusing.

He's 18 years old, he needs games.

Why would this French kid want to leave Lille to become our 4th /5th choice defender?
Or if he's 3rd choice where does that leave Joey G and Quansah?
Also, we might extend Matip's contract, which makes it even more confusing.

He's 18 years old, he needs games.
He’d be backing himself, as a top prospect, to get games and learn from the best, with the view of forcing his way into a starting spot over the next 2 years.
Gomez is not a starting CB and will remain as cover for the defensive positions (or maybe even look to take one of the full back slots that he’s much more suited to).
if we extend Matip’s contract, we’re simply doing the right thing by him, not with him being a serious starting option in mind in 2025.

We need a top CB to come in so we have four genuine options. I’m not sure why that’s a controversial idea for any Liverpool fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom