• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jerome Sinclair

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to be a standard pattern with all our managers. Even with Rafa, first year he was praised for giving youth a chance - Mellor, Potter, FSP, LT - all got chances especially in the Carling cup run. By the third year, the squad was padded out with so many players that there was no way for youth. Having said that the youth team of today appears to be a different level compared to the youth teams of 10 years ago.

Yes. I can sympathise to some extent - the pressure gets worse and worse, and as a result the temptation must be to err on the side of caution when it comes to the kids - but I think Rodgers genuinely wants to work with them, he just needs to show a bit more courage at this stage.

I suppose Jerome has been told he's the chosen one for quite a while, even though he hasn't quite pushed on enough to make his breakthrough. It is a shame, because there is a player there, no doubt.

I'd say it's the opposite. He's been taken a bit for granted. He arrived as a hot prospect, but with a good attitude. Then Ibe arrived, less polished but just as exciting, and Inglethorpe got Sinclair to work in support of Ibe, helping him by creating space and making lots of selfless runs on his behalf. He did that so well he's been used in all sorts of similar roles with other teammates, to the point where, for a time, it was as if he'd faded from view in terms of reports and publicity. Then he saw Ibe promoted ahead of him - fair enough - and he was brought into the squad without seeming to get the trust that others did. So I can see how he probably then saw the new 'incentivised' contract as being another sign that he wasn't quite as believed in as others from his generation. He's a quiet kid who I'm sure would probably have been much more receptive to such a deal if Rodgers given him a bit more time and support.

Disappointing read that is ... Any chance to change this with Sinclair? I'm sure a contract with 'first team assurances' could work no?

I think the day you do that is the day playing with the seniors becomes an entitlement and not an earned right. Just be talented enough, show promise, throw a strop if you don't play by the time the first strands of pubic hair start to grow. Calling in sick for training and threatening not to fly for games will then be the next stops in their journey.

Yes, although there's a balance in terms of this dynamic. When the club loses the symbol of its pro-youth policy, and keeps signing players to play where there's the longest queue for chances, and then, post-Sterling, starts drafting quite different contracts for them, it's not that hard to understand why some of them feel a bit dubious about their prospects here. Here's a classic case where the club needs to be a smart and make these kids feel genuinely wanted - it wouldn't cost any money, just a bit of time and effort.

Most kids in this league would kill for "token minutes" against the best team in the league.
And most of those kids probably won't go on to make anything of themselves.

And then our young, highly rated striker, is completely overlooked when the club is in a very obvious striker problem.

Id be fucked off too.

Pogba left the mancs under similar circumstances. Hopefully this situation is being laughed about by the mancs in a few years

Well, we've just bought Origi and Ings into the squad so he knows that there is no chance of getting a breakthrough. If we're not willing to pay him top whack either... why stay?

You can certainly see it from his point of view. Someone like Coady has really excelled from just dropping down the divisions and playing football.

Sinclair may well be looking at the prospect of two or three years of loans like Wisdom and thinking what's he got to lose?

Some rumours he's been offered less than he's on now. Don't blame him if true

Reactions: HC
Probably part of our 'incentivised contract' approach.

If/when Benteke signs, there's no point Sinclair signing anyway. There'll be him, Origi and Sturridge in his way, so he's hardly going to get a proper look in.

Really? He seems to get pretty much everything spot on imho.
Thought he was one of the better ones :)

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Sure I read an article lately by him and thought "what a load of shite"

Paul Joyce is a good journalist with good links to the club. Same for Tony Barrett and Andy Hunter. Ian Herbert isn't bad, though I can't vouch for his contacts at all. Tony Evans still knows some folk but isn't as well connected as he'd like to think. Bascombe and James Pearce are well connected but I don't think they're particularly good at writing. Bascombe always seemed to cosy up to certain players a bit too much. And then there's obviously Jamie Sanderson at the Metro, a King amongst men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom