• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Joe Allen, LFC midfielders and midfield combinations and now the Jordan Henderson thread

We only have one 'super fan' - and he comes and gets banned every few months (Blackie Gray if you remember him). Everyone else really doesn't fall under that category - it's just people still remember the way you posted before/after Kenny was fired and it's kinda relates to what Andy says here re: gkmacca. I say, be like red_maradona and laugh along (even if you're clean like gkmacca is for example):

I'm sorry if I offended you -- it was never intentional.

How did I act after he got fired o_O

Before he was sacked, I wasn't happy as he spunked £70 million on the "English shit" (Tony Evans quote) which Brendan Rodgers is doing his best to get rid of now, had us playing woeful, finished 8th and get the lowest point total for years.

Anyway that era is over with, onwards an upwards we hope unless you want to remind us again of how great we were last season.

Club release statement regarding speculation over midfielder Joe Allen
Statement regarding speculation on Swans midfielder Joe Allen

A Swansea City spokesman said: “Swansea City can confirm that Liverpool have expressed an interest in Joe Allen, despite a written agreement with Liverpool not to approach any players within the 12-month period of former manager Brendan Rodgers leaving for Anfield.

“There has also been interest from other clubs regarding his possible availability and the club is due to speak to Joe, as originally planned, about the situation when he returns from GB duty.

“The club is not prepared to release any details on whether any formal bids have been made at this stage or details of Joe’s contract, which are private and confidential. The club is extremely disappointed that speculation regarding certain aspects of his contract have been released to the media by parties outside the club.

“Fortunately the club is in a financial position where it does not need to sell any of its players and will continue to work in the best interests of its supporters, who are our priority, and the club to provide new manager Michael Laudrup with the best opportunity to be successful in the forthcoming Premier League campaign.”emier League campaign.”

What aspects in his contract?

can we even legally buy him then?? rodgers is probably gona come out of this looking like a bit of a twat, ah well, if we had a manager that other teams liked then that'd mean he's probably doing it wrong

Maybe that's why we've gone for him then, because of the £15m clause in his contract, it legally negates the gentleman's agreement, which is a bit twatish, but anyway..

Before he was sacked, I wasn't happy as he spunked £70 million on the "English shit" (Tony Evans quote) which Brendan Rodgers is doing his best to get rid of now, had us playing woeful, finished 8th and get the lowest point total for years.

Anyway that era is over with, onwards an upwards we hope unless you want to remind us again of how great we were last season.

We played woefully some of the time. The rest of the time we played well and had atrocious luck.

And Tony Evans is a know-nothing gobsh!te, season ticket or no season ticket.

Maybe that's why we've gone for him then, because of the £15m clause in his contract, it legally negates the gentleman's agreement, which is a bit twatish, but anyway..

Gentleman's agreement ? It's a battlefield out there and if it suits Swansea (and if they are willing to sell then it does) to sell him then they are the hypocrites, doesn't Allen have a shiny new contract ? So if they are so concerned about their supporters and are truthful about not needing the money they can always tell us to bugger off. They haven't, they are just holding out their grubby paws for as much as they can get and looking to be able to tell their supporters 'it wasn't me'.

Well I guess the good news is that there's a reason there's a fee of that magnitude - he's valued that highly (hence the clause) and it's not because we're overpaying to look like flash cunts, again.

My understanding was we would not go for any of swans players unless they were considering offers from other clubs. They have stated in that statement they are so we can then go for Allen. I dont know what the problem is.

My understanding was we would not go for any of swans players unless they were considering offers from other clubs. They have stated in that statement they are so we can then go for Allen. I dont know what the problem is.
nobody really has any clue what the deal is, there have just been a few reported examples of what it could be (other bids, 'top 5 clubs' etc)

You were excessively negative and it irked many people ... but as you say, onward and upward.

He's not prolific by any stretch of the imagination, he'll possibly score 4 or 5 per season for us. I think BR's plan is to have lots of potential goalscorers around him (Suarez, Borini, Dempsey, Gerrard etc) and Allen's job will be to unpick locks to set these goalscorers free on goal.

How does Allen compare to Aaron Ramsey and Jack Wilshire?

Well, the statement says Rodgers agreed not to approach any players, but then goes on to say we've merely expressed an interest in Allen to Swansea. It's not like we've been tapping up the lad behind Swansea's back. We've gone through the proper channel in his club, our actions have been entirely above board. They're probably crying about it in public because they realized they messed up the agreement with Rodgers so they cant take it up in court for contractual breach and they can't lodge a complaint with the FA for tapping up. Otherwise they're looking to sell and are just deflecting supporter dissent onto actions of Rodgers and Allen.

Well, the statement says Rodgers agreed not to approach any players, but then goes on to say we've merely expressed an interest in Allen to Swansea. It's not like we've been tapping up the lad behind Swansea's back. We've gone through the proper channel in his club, our actions have been entirely above board. They're probably crying about it in public because they realized they messed up the agreement with Rodgers so they cant take it up in court for contractual breach and they can't lodge a complaint with the FA for tapping up. Otherwise they're looking to sell and are just deflecting supporter dissent onto actions of Rodgers and Allen.

The latter imo.

nobody really has any clue what the deal is, there have just been a few reported examples of what it could be (other bids, 'top 5 clubs' etc)
I would expect the welsh equivilant of the echo to have an idea.

Liverpool have made their move for Swansea City star Joe Allen with Brendan Rodgers believed to have tabled a bid for the Wales midfielder.

Swansea were last night refusing to confirm their former boss' attempts to take the 22-year-old to Anfield - but WalesOnline understands the Northern Irishman has lodged his first formal offer for the playmaker, currently on Olympic duty with Team GB.

Yet there is some way to go before any deal is sealed with the bid thought to be short of the £15m valuation Swans officials have of the youth-team product - the same figure top clubs are reportedly able to trigger the transfer release clause Allen is known to have in the four-year Liberty Stadium deal he signed last summer.

And Rodgers will know he still has much work to make the transfer happen with Swans sources last night still citing the written agreement that stopped him returning to sign players from his former club as part of the deal that saw him leave the Liberty for Liverpool last month.

The agreement did allow Rodgers to sign Swans players if they are available for sale or should a bid from another club be accepted first.

But although there have been other enquiries over Allen this summer, there has been no rival offer made - and certainly not one Swansea have agreed to take for a player they hope will play a key role under new manager Michael Laudrup.
It has been suggested that Allen could force the move by demanding a transfer, but representatives of the Narberth talent dismissed such a scenario to WalesOnline last week.

There is more likelihood that both Swansea and Liverpool could come to a compromise over the deal which would still shatter previous Swans selling records, the £2m Wigan paid for Jason Scotland in 2009 the biggest fee recouped for any player.
Laudrup has yet to speak to Allen over the speculation and says he will wait until the eight-cap ace returns from the Olympics to link back up with his club, currently in Colorado as part of three-game tour of the States.
But he has previously seemed accepting of the fact that a big money move was set to take Allen from the Liberty for the coming season.

No they haven't. They've said in that statement there is interest from other clubs - not that any other teams have/are going to make an offer.

I'm with Skully - that was a real shot at Rodgers; the good will for him back in Swansea is being sucked dry every minute of this saga. He's a Liverpool manager now but I would imagine that would be upsetting to him all the same - he had a great relationship with those fans.

No they haven't. They've said in that statement there is interest from other clubs - not that any other teams have/are going to make an offer.

I'm with Skully - that was a real shot at Rodgers; the good will for him back in Swansea is being sucked dry every minute of this saga. He's a Liverpool manager now but I would imagine that would be upsetting to him all the same - he had a great relationship with those fans.

“There has also been interest from other clubs regarding his possible availability and the club is due to speak to Joe, as originally planned, about the situation when he returns from GB duty.

This to me says they have considered bids from clubs and they will speak to Allen about them when he returns.

They want to make Rodgers look like the bad guy. From what I have seen I wouldn't of expected Rodgers to break any agreement he had with Swansea.

This to me says they have considered bids from clubs and they will speak to Allen about them when he returns.

They want to make Rodgers look like the bad guy. From what I have seen I wouldn't of expected Rodgers to break any agreement he had with Swansea.

I think, as Gene says, we look like we've definitely tapped him up. It was always going to be hard not to look that way but this one doesn't really even require imagination.

I also agree that Rodgers isn't the type to want to do that which is why I think it will rankle with him.

to be honest there never should have been an agreement not to try and buy their players in the first place . It's a load of shite designed to keep their fans at ease . Every player has a value and if that value is met and the player wants to move then who cares who the club are.
I guess perhaps it was to try and cover the fact that Rodgers knows the release clause value in his contract but even still i'm pretty sure any club interested in him would be told that pretty quickly by his agent .These sort of things are never kept secret .

Anyway , again i think this statement from them is just for their fans . To make us and him the bad guys if he chooses to leave . It seems to be the way with most transfers these days and i'm sure he'll be booed when/if he plays them .

The big debate though is whether or not he is that good (or will develop to be ) to warrant spending this money on him instead of a top class forward which i personally think is still more important .

Mr Rodgers was interviewed regarding this last night and said that he had a long conversation with the chairman of Swansea yesterday and it is no problem regarding him.
They had a good call and there arent any issues.

The forum really needs someone to hate this guy.

I thought one of the advantages of signing players from the Premiership was that the haters already knew enough about them to formulate a theory of why they were going to fail and be a waste of money.

There's nothing worse than having to wait for two or three games of the season for the haters to emerge, but I can tolerate it when it's some claudio gonzalez type who we've signed from one of those silly foreign leagues in Spain or Italy that the haters know nothing about.

But for a british based player I expect to come on here and see a detailed account of how he's too small, too slow, lacking courage, coming off one good season, a big fish in a small pond, wimpy legged, shit hair, slows down the play, crap taste in clothes, blows hot and cold, plays hollywood balls, can't adapt to a system, cheats too much, will never understand the club, plays too many sideways passes, doesn't score enough, makes his own cheese, etc. etc.

So come on someone, please step forward and keep this forum's great traditions alive!
Bring Brendan back...

He supports the mancs. Isn't that enough for someone to turn into a slavering naysayer?

From Independent:

Liverpool believe their manager, Brendan Rodgers, is perfectly entitled to return to his old club Swansea City for players who wish to leave, despite the club's accusation that he has broken a promise with a bid for Joe Allen.

Swansea's position on the midfielder leaving had started to soften and it became clear last week that a £14m bid may be too good to refuse. But their chairman, Huw Jenkins, was infuriated yesterday when details of the release clause in Allen's contract – allowing him to leave if a £15m bid comes in from one of Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea or Arsenal – leaked out.

Liverpool are understood to have bid £12.5m but yesterday's development has potential to cause friction when a likely second bid comes in for the player, who is expected to start Great Britain's match against Senegal at Old Trafford tonight. Swansea said yesterday evening that Liverpool had "expressed an interest" in Allen, despite "a written agreement with Liverpool not to approach any players within the 12-month period of former manager Brendan Rodgers leaving for Anfield."

Their anger over the publication of release clause details was also obvious. "The club is not prepared to release any details on whether any formal bids have been made at this stage or details of Joe's contract, which are private and confidential," Swansea's statement said. "The club is extremely disappointed that speculation regarding certain aspects of his contract have been released to the media by parties outside the club. Fortunately the club is in a financial position where it does not need to sell any of its players."

Swansea feel that Rodgers has an unfair advantage, in being privy to the minutiae of Allen's contract, and the view from South Wales last night was that the northern Irishman has lost the goodwill which he had retained after leaving the Liberty Stadium for Anfield. Rodgers' predecessor Roberto Martinez experienced the same backlash when he went back to take Jordi Gomez to Wigan Athletic. Rodgers said last week that if Allen was subject to bids from elsewhere he would make his move for the 22-year-old.

Hes playing at Old Trafford tonight. With Giggs.
You know Ginsoak will be there.
We need to get this sorted if we want him.

Back
Top Bottom