• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Joe Allen, LFC midfielders and midfield combinations and now the Jordan Henderson thread

Its a really really lot of money for a player who has had one season in the prem and no one had heard of a year ago.
I hope this one is as good as you lot are saying he is.
We need a break in the transfer window.

Its a really really lot of money for a player who has had one season in the prem and no one had heard of a year ago.

I'd be a little apprehensive aswell considering he's only had one year top flight experience but he is being bought (hopefully) by a manager that knows him very well so knows how Allen conducts himself off-the-pitch and every time I watch him he seems to exude intelligence with the ball and makes himself constantly available, great assets for such a young player.

Sky Bet@SkyBet
We've suspended betting on Joe Allen's next club after consistent bets on the Swansea man to move to Liverpool at 1/6

He's far better than Hendo at this stage. He has great awareness and a fine intelligence. What Rodgers needs is not only good passers but also quick and intelligent passers, and Allen is ideal.

It's always difficult to know for sure. He looks good at the moment, but you have to factor in the 20-30% drop in his ability, guts, balls, intelligence, goalscoring, assists, etc. as a result of him signing for Liverpool.

So........ is this kid the real deal? Don't know much about him or seen very little of him. Is the 15m the rumoured price tag worth it? For some reason I just feel as though we could pay over the odds again!!!

Nothing compared to paying 35 million for someone having half a good season in the premiership..

How did you feel about Arsenal paying 12 mill for Oxlade?

We need to take these risks. The lad is ace.

How did you feel about Arsenal paying 12 mill for Oxlade?

We need to take these risks. The lad is ace.
Look its MY kind of signing. Id just as soon it was someone id seen play a bit.
This is the same cost as United have just paid for Kagawa who inspired his team to win a league.
Im not down on it like but given we have fuck all money and i dont think ive seen him play more than twice im trusting Ryan, You and all that this kid is worth our whole summer budget. Same price as KAGAWA. More than Marin.
Its a lot.
Again.

Agreed mate. It is a lot. Sadly the fees in the Premier League are extremely inflated.
Compared to Martin and Kagawa its insane.

But I think this is exactly the kind of signing we need to make. But we cant afford for him not to be a success...

Allen was instrumental in a Swansea side, which many thought would go straight back down, who not only stayed up but did so in style, with room to spare. I'll take that over inspiring a team to win the A-League in Japan all day long.

Allen was instrumental in a Swansea side, which many thought would go straight back down, who not only stayed up but did so in style, with room to spare. I'll take that over inspiring a team to win the A-League in Japan all day long.
I think he meant Kagawa winning the Bundesliga with Dortmund actually JJ

FORMER Swansea City manager Roberto Martinez says he is proud to see Joe Allen playing a starring role for Team GB.

Allen was one of the few Team GB players to come out of their 2-0 friendly defeat to Brazil last Friday with any credit and looks to have earned himself a starting spot against Senegal in their first game of the Olympic tournament tonight.

Martinez insists he is not surprised to see Allen – linked with a £15m move to Liverpool – become one of the most talked about young players in the country.

“It’ll be exciting for Team GB to have such a strong character and a winner in the middle of the park,” said Martinez.

“Obviously I gave Joe his debut at Swansea at 16 and since then he has developed into a top, top footballer.

“He is a player who will get even better as he gets older and stronger, but his tactical awareness is already there.

“He’s still very young, but sometimes you need to put players in a position where they will be challenged and Joe reached that point very early in his development.

“Whatever the challenge Joe always finds a way to be himself, because he has a tactical knowledge and awareness that allows him to do that.

“He is capable of being anything he wants to be and I have been so proud of the way he has matured as a footballer.”

Allen is likely to line up alongside Manchester United’s Tom Cleverly at Old Trafford tonight, another player who flourished under Martinez.

The Spaniard took Cleverly to Wigan on loan two seasons ago and after 25 appearances in the Premier League with the Latics he went back to challenge for a first-team place at United.

Martinez said: “Joe is very, very similar in terms of mentality to Tom Cleverley. Both are perfect examples of allowing young players who have the talent to thrive.

“It’s great to see someone like Tom, who we all saw develop with Wigan Athletic, getting his chance on the big stage.

“I really feel Team GB has as good a chance as any team of doing well at this Olympic Games.

“They haven’t played together much but they are all talented players, many with Premier League experience, and I don’t think it’ll be a problem for them to perform well.”

Dated 2009:

Ferrie Bodde says he expects Swansea team-mate Joe Allen to be playing in the Premier League in the near future.

Dutch midfielder Bodde is out for the season with a cruciate knee ligament injury which was seen as a huge blow to Swansea's hopes in the Championship.

But Wales Under-21 international Allen, 18, has stepped into the gap.

"He's going to be a big player and it won't be long before he will be playing in the Premier League," said 26-year-old Bodde.

"I have been following the games very closely on satellite TV and the internet back home in Holland.

"Joe has had some excellent reports and seems to be growing as a player with every game.

"But I'm not surprised. When I first came over from Holland to see Swansea 18 months ago against Blackpool, the gaffer (Roberto Martinez) asked me what I thought after the game.

"I remember saying that Joe Allen was going to be a big player.

"He was only 16 or 17 at the time, but I saw a bit of myself in him.

"He played like an adult that day. He's brave, energetic and has a good pass on him."

Allen made his Football League debut as a substitute on the final day of the 2006/07 season in the 6-3 home defeat to Blackpool.
The Narbeth youngster was tipped to become a future star alongside Cardiff's Aaron Ramsey, who made the switch to Arsenal last summer.

But injury hampered Allen's progress and only now has he had his chance after Bodde picked up a knee injury in the 3-2 home defeat by Birmingham in November.

It was in the 2-2 draw with Barnsley and the 2-0 win over Reading in particular where Allen's talent has really shone.

And manager Roberto Martinez knows he has a real star in the making on his hands.

"Joe has had to be patient to get where he is, but he has used the time to develop his game," Martinez told Swansea's match programme.

"His game used to be about short passing, but he has now added the longer pass to his repertoire.

"If you watch him play now, he can switch play a lot better with a longer pass.

"It's something Ferrie is good at and Joe has obviously learnt a lot from watching him and by working hard on the training ground.''

Bodde has spent the last six weeks rehabilitating in his native Holland, but returned to Swansea last week for a progress check and is targeting the Premier League himself with the Swans next season.

Although he is due to be out for the rest of the season, Bodde has not ruled out an early return if Swansea make the play-offs.

"If we reach the play-offs, that adds another three weeks on to the end of the season,'' said Bodde.

"So you never know. Miracles can happen."

Allen did not start the first game of the season at Manchester City, with Rodgers opting for the more powerful Kemy Agustien to cope with the City midfield, but from there on in, Allen featured in almost every game of the season (not counting ones he was suspended for). Swansea’s main issue at the start of the season came in their lack of firepower and this was perhaps not helped by Allen being asked to play further up field as a playmaker, a role that is not best suited to his more dogged attributes. Swansea would never really solve this problem until the signing of the talismanic Gylfi Sigurdsson, which left Allen free to drop back next to his partner in crime Leon Britton. Soon after the reshuffle in midfield, Swansea found themselves drawing with Chelsea and soon beating Arsenal and Manchester City. Once again, his partnership with Leon Britton was proving crucial to Swansea’s success as they both led the team’s suffocating possession football, which some teams in the Premier League just could not cope with (I’m looking at you Wigan, Aston Villa and Fulham). In fact, Britton and Allen’s partnership has almost become a symbol to the British public that British footballers do have the capability to play ‘tika-taka’ football that is much-lauded in Spain, but is apparently impossible amongst British players.

Leon Britton’s pass completion rate had regularly been documented over the season with the diminutive midfielder finishing with the highest pass completion ratio in all of Europe (93.5% with an average of 62.7 passes per game). As impressive as this is, I feel the stats linked to young Joey are much more impressive. Although Britton’s pass completion rate was over 2% higher than the 91.2% completion rate of Joey Allen, Allen’s passing is far more adventurous than Britton’s – in fact, Allen’s range of passing makes the 91% pass completion stat quite unbelievable – the Welshman’s pass completion rate even betters Andres Iniesta, Luka Modric, Michael Carrick and Yaya Toure’s pass completion rate. Allen also had a habit of delving into more dangerous, congested areas of the pitch than little Leon.

With repeated talk of Swansea’s passing, ‘tika-taka’ philosophy, one thing that is sometimes overlooked in regards to Allen is his amazing determination and the combative edge to his game. On the rare occasion he does lose the ball and he almost always makes certain he gets it back. Allen completed 110 tackles last year, the third highest amount of tackles all season behind Yohan Cabaye (117) and more surprisingly Moussa Dembele (112), and he also averaged 3.1 tackles a game. For a team that relied so heavily on retaining the ball, these stats demonstrating ball retrieval are highly impressive. A lot of Allen’s tackling came about from an improvement in his positional play, as Allen always seems to be in the right place on the ptich, whether the Swans are attacking or defending.

Allen is a great playmaker, but he also combines the great traits of a defensive midfielder – combine these two ideals and you have yourself a wanted man. Unfortunately, for Swansea City, their impressive exploits in the Premier League have not gone unnoticed and following the sacking of Kenny Dalglish, Liverpool snapped up the highly rated Brendan Rodgers much to the dismay of the Jack Army. Despite agreeing a clause that stops Rodgers delving into the Swansea squad for new signings, Liverpool seemed to have ignored that with Rodgers trying to poach his best pupil from his school of passing football, Joe Allen.

It seems to be increasingly unlikely, but I am hoping that the chants of “There’s only one Joey Allen” continue to resonate around the Liberty Stadium next season.

Right. Can we sign him now?

I watched him closely today - and he plays the game very simply (which I like). The right pass almost always, but he's essentially a DM (at least for GB). That would lead me to believe that Lucas & Allen (if signed) would be our middle two, and let Gerrard roam as he sees fit ... Should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom