• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Joel Matip

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a top class CB, we saw that when he first came in and looked brilliant until injuries interrupted that.

Had a bit of a wobble last season but has got the form back.

His playing out the back and his passing are very underrated.

Given away few needless corners that have led to goals and shinned a few attempted clearances towards Alisson but generally he's been fantastic.

Who's lauding him up as the second coming? Pretty much everyone, including me have Gomez ahead of him when fit.
Also are you forgetting that the lad was free?

I have given everyone a like on here who have been positive on Matip. The issue I think is that everyone is thinking Gomez and wants him to be the man next to VVD. Yes Gomez is your number one but one thing that does come to mind which we won't know is that the 2nd half the season is the hardest - Gomez for all his great qualities is young, and sometimes you want someone older with a little more experience in that back line. The runs and passes by Matip from the back have not been praised enough in my view on this site or in the general media. I think it is quite a frightening site for opposition midfield when they see this massive 6ft4" geezer just running towards you with the ball at his feet.

Don't think we can underestimate the importance of a run of games for a player too. We're now bearing the fruits of that with Matip

You guys have been pretty harsh on Matip (in the other thread largely).

He's not world class but he's been very solid alongside VVD. Give credit where due.

He has been very good yeah, but the tweet says we've conceded an average of .7 goals in the games he's played. We've conceded .56 all season, and he's played about 60%, so we must have conceded approx .35 in the games he hasn't played, so twice as effective without him.

I'm not saying this should be used as an accurate measure, I'm just saying whoever tweeted that in the first instance didn't think about it very well.

Don't think we can underestimate the importance of a run of games for a player too. We're now bearing the fruits of that with Matip

Agree with this and would add that - like the rest of the side - Matip has also benefited hugely from Virgil and Alisson being added to the mix.

But I wouldn't want to deny Matip himself a share of the credit. He still had to step up and take advantage of those improved circumstances, and he has.

He was immense. Loved his foul on Messi that got him booked.

Gomez got skint on the wing when he came on.

I’d keep Matip for the final.

There is no other choice. Matip starts un what remains of this season with VVD. He has been outstanding for us.

Agree with all the above. You have to admire how Matip's got to grips with the situation after a ropey start to his time with us, and been fully worth his place lately. Gomez is a fine player who's going to get even better and he'll be back (at CB only, I hope), but now is too soon for him and Matip's earned his place anyway.

I'd keep Matip for the final? Has he done something to not play in the final?

Last edited:
Of course he'll play in the final. Gomez got incredibly unlucky with his injury as we was forming a great partnership with VVD, but Matip has earned his spot and Gomez has barely played in months. Gomez for the bench for sure, but not to start.

I still have reservations on Matip but credit where it is due. And it would be insane not to start him in Madrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom