• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Keep Suarez?

Sell?

• YES

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • NO

Votes: 135 87.7%

• Total voters
Stats before last weekend's matches:

involvement.jpg

Some of the guys on that list who top their club's numbers aren't even close to our 2nd best player this season (Stevie, 9 goals, 9 assists). In fact, Stevie isn't too far behind Mata or Walcott who lead their clubs.

According to some reports the booing came mainly from lower league players pissed out of their heads and similarly tanked-up corporate types.

So Walcott is a decent player after all and a lot of the experts on here slagged him off when we were interested

It's not that simple. The problem was that he was being touted for the right-hand side of our front three, when he himself was on the point of leaving the Arse precisely because that's where Wenger almost always plays him, whereas he wants to play down the middle. Probably not coincidentally he signed his new contract shortly before getting a run of games down the centre for them, and TBF he seemed to be doing well, but lately he's been playing back on the right of their attack, which tells you a lot about what Wenger thinks is his true position. Now Wenger's not infallible, but his mistakes tend to involve defensive players. He knows what he's on about when it comes to attackers.

So Walcott is a decent player after all and a lot of the experts on here slagged him off when we were interested

I think he'd "make" our front four Vlad. Imagine him, Suarez and Sturridge, with the magician in behind? I take JJ's point about him wanting to play central, but I think our set up is quite different to Arsenal's and with Sturridge and Suarez, it could be afforded as it's pretty interchangeable.

I didn't think he'd be this good tbh, I thought he was swp all over again.

He's a very good player, I still don't know exactly what position he plays, & once his pace goes he will struggle, but he'd make us a better team that's for sure.

Ha! I was going to say the same. There was hardly any booing. Maybe some in the 1st clip but none in the 2nd. Brilliant journalism once again. Bollox to the lot of them!

The journalism isn't at fault here, to be honest they did well to muster a story out of it. Without those few boos that event looked and sounded so embarrassingly cringeworthy. Just watching that short clip was like you'd walked in on your 8 year old little sister having a make believe dinner party in her wendy house, before doing the sideshow bob quiver thing and walking out.

The journalism isn't at fault here, to be honest they did well to muster a story out of it. Without those few boos that event looked and sounded so embarrassingly cringeworthy. Just watching that short clip was like you'd walked in on your 8 year old little sister having a make believe dinner party in her wendy house, before doing the sideshow bob quiver thing and walking out.
Ha ha!

I think he did. Although to be fair, Ivanovich has been brilliant throughout. He never once moaned about it or spoke to the press about it the way Evra did. Fair play to him

Well ... Evra is a cunt.
Indeed.

Although I always had a bit of a soft spot for Ivanovich. Even if he's playing with Chelsea. For me, he definitely stands out from the other Chelsea players, and I was delighted that he lived up to my expectations by not making a big thing out of it, even though he was perfectly entitled to.

Luis Suarez: Inside the mind of Liverpool's Uruguayan striker

Comments (237)
"When you understand Luis's background and where he comes from, then you can understand his determination."
Getting inside the mind of Luis Suarez, 26, appears a difficult task. His career treads the thin line between footballing brilliance and flawed genius, but a close friend and former Ajax colleague believes his tough upbringing is a good place to start.
Herman Pinkster was a member of Ajax's backroom staff when Suarez was banned for seven games after biting PSV Eindhoven midfielder Otman Bakkal in 2010. This was four months after the Uruguayan's deliberate handball against Ghana helped earn his country a place in the World Cup semi-final.
Luis Suarez's rise to the top

_67335109_suarezuruguay_getty.jpg

• 24 January 1987: Born in Salto, Uruguay.
  • 2005: Makes professional debut with Montevideo club Nacional.
  • 2006: Signs for Dutch side FC Groningen and scores 10 goals in 29 league appearances.
  • February 2007: Makes debut for Uruguay and is sent off in the 85th minute.
  • August 2007: Joins Ajax in a £6.3m deal.
  • 28 January 2011: Liverpool agree a deal worth up to £22.8m for Suarez.
  • 2 February 2011: Scores on his debut, a 2-0 win over Stoke at Anfield.
Now, with the Suarez debate very much back at the forefront after the Liverpool striker received a 10-match ban for biting Chelsea'sBranislav Ivanovic, Pinkster believes his win-at-all-costs mentality can be traced all the way back to his childhood in Uruguay.
Born in the Uruguayan city of Salto on 24 January 1987 and raised in Montevideo, Suarez once had to reject the chance to attend a Uruguay youth team training camp because he couldn't afford a pair of boots. Money was tight as the player fought to succeed.
"When you have such a determination to win games and you are such a warrior from the nature inside, it is very hard to change it," said Pinkster.
"We really had to adapt, we had never had a player like that, that was so determined to win games, to focus like a soldier in a war.
"When he regrets something he is really sorry, but when he has the full commitment that he is 400% right, he never will regret things."
The word 'winner' is a common characteristic used to describe Suarez by the people who have seen his rise from kicking around on the streets of Montevideo to signing for Liverpool for £22.8m in January 2011.
His ability has rarely been questioned, scoring 111 goals in 159 appearances for Ajax and a regular for Uruguay, but his temperament has been brought into doubt a number of times along the way.
"He is a kind person. He is Dr Jekyll outside the pitch and sometimes Mr Hyde on the pitch," said Tom Egbers, the presenter of Netherlands's version of Match of the Day.
"He behaves like an animal at times. He can be terrible on the pitch, he can do terrible things. Swearing, kicking, diving... all the tricks. He does not mean to harm anyone, to injure someone.
"He just wants his opponent out of the way by any means. He is street smart. It is obvious he has not had his education from Eton. He is from Montevideo, Uruguay. Everything is permitted in his view to win a game.
"Something in his brain happens - (after he bit Bakkal) he genuinely apologised to the player and humbly accepted the punishment."
Just in his Premier League career alone, Suarez's list of misdemeanours include racially abusing Patrice Evra, admitting diving and being pilloried for a handball goal against Mansfield.
His dark side can be traced as far back as to when he was sent off as a 15-year-old for head butting a referee when a youth player for Uruguayan side Nacional, and was seen again when he saw red for dissent on his international debut against Colombia in February 2007.
"He is the type of player that once inside the box he is capable of anything to score a goal, to get the ball from an opponent. Obviously this kind of thing shouldn't happen, cannot happen. It's happened to him," said his former Groningen team-mate Hugo Alves.
"He does anything to win. He is a winner. And because of his way of thinking, if he is in the heat of the moment, full of emotion, he makes these kind of mistakes. In the middle of an emotional game, he can vent it in the wrong way."
Controversial Luis Suarez

December 2011 - Given eight-match suspension and fined £40,000 for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra.
February 2012 - Refuses to shake hands with Evra at Old Trafford and is described as a "disgrace" by Sir Alex Ferguson.
October 2012 - Accused of diving by Stoke manager Tony Pulis.
November 2012 - Accused of stamping on Dave Jones by Wigan manager Roberto Martinez.
January 2013 - Mansfield chief executive Carolyn Radford says Suarez "stole" their FA Cup tie when he scored after using his hand.
April 2013 - Banned for 10 games after biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic.

One of Suarez's former youth coaches, Julian Moreno, said that winning mentality was evident throughout his time at Nacional: "He never liked losing. He wanted to win everything, that's something he always showed."
Suarez signed for Dutch top-flight side Groningen from Nacional in 2005. The club's then-technical director Henk Veldmarte said it took just 15 minutes to spot his potential in a trial match.
Arriving in Holland as a 19-year-old without any grasp of the language, it was initially a struggle for the striker but there was a sense of unshakeable confidence in his own ability.
Brazilian Alves adds: "Luis is a kind of a person that when he was in Groningen it seemed like he was in Uruguay in his native neighbourhood. I had lots of difficulties when I arrived here. I thought… What am I gonna say? What am I gonna eat? Not Luis.
"Without speaking a single word of English or Dutch he goes to the market and buys exactly what he wants. He can communicate with people without knowing one word of their language. Once he got a car, without knowing how to drive.
"He said 'I want the car now, I can learn how to drive later on.' Obviously he had a driving licence, he just had to change it for a Dutch one. But that shows how easy it was for him to get used to things.
"He had a good relationship with his neighbours, with people who lived close to him. He talked to everybody. He talks to the club doorman in the same way he talks to the chairman. He does not make any distinction."
Such single-mindedness has been evident throughout Suarez's career. He moved to Europe to be closer to his girlfriend (now his wife), attempted to force through a move to Ajax in 2007, when he even took former club Groningen to court, and took his one-month-old daughter on the pitch at the Amsterdam Arena, despite being told not to.
Suarez has always done things his own way and, no matter what criticisms have been thrown his way, one thing almost everyone is in agreement with is his talent as a footballer.
"He is one of the top three most spectacular players Ajax have had in the last 100 years - there is Cruyff, van Basten and Suarez," said Egbers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22356789

I think he did. Although to be fair, Ivanovich has been brilliant throughout. He never once moaned about it or spoke to the press about it the way Evra did. Fair play to him

Seriously. I have much respect, and I'm not that prone to respecting people easily.

Suarez is currently serving a ten-match suspension for biting Branislav Ivanovic - and by the end of that term he will have been banned for 20 games since joining Liverpool, without being sent off.

Suarez told Liverpool's official magazine that his wife, Sofia, has told him to behave while playing.

He said: "My wife has made observations like, "You were arguing with the referee and the defenders too much; you didn't really seem up for it; you might as well have not been on the pitch".

"I go away, think about it and realise she was right.

"She said people must go away and think that is what I am like off the pitch, even though I'm usually relaxed and easy-going.

"Having a wife that closely watches the game is good. She knows me better than anyone else and I want her observations to help me play better and be a happier person."

Suarez's wife had previously advised him to shape up in an interview with The Sunday Times - published on the morning of his encounter with Ivanovic.

"She's my biggest critic, she always comes to watch me," he said then.

"She asks what I'm doing, why am I arguing with the referee. 'All you've done today is turn up to shout at people, why don't you concentrate on playing football?'

"If I don't, they [Sofia and his daughter, Delfina] won't come and watch me anymore. These are things my wife has picked up on and so has everyone else, so it has made me think."

Back
Top Bottom