• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Klopp Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ignat Manjoo's encounters with the so-called reinvention of German football, how it applies to the new Liverpool way, being mindful of entertainment vs real management

288646_specials.jpg
EDITORIAL By Ignat Manjoo
178001.jpg
Follow on Twitter

What’s that? A distant, blonde, humanoid figure approaching me through the dark. Jurgen Klopp? No, it’s my wife. She says, that at this rate I’m never going to get some rest in time for the Bafana Bafana game against Costa Rica at 4am on Friday.

Reds fans have been spotting Klopp (or his spectre) around Liverpool even two days before he arrived in the city. What will they see when he really arrives? In flesh. When you’re in love, you imagine your beloved in every face walking by. Liverpool fans are in love without even meeting their new manager Klopp yet. Typical of the Internet age we live in.

The supporters worldwide that didn’t want to go outside (or to work) until the Klopp confirmation was official, repeatedly clicked the refresh button on Twitter and forums, spotting Klopp in random videos of any average man with a beard and cap. There’s a Klopp father lookalike in the backyard playing basketball on a swing. There’s reflections of Klopp photographed off moving cars, between the haze and the sunlight, we catch a beard through the glass. Is it a bird? I only haven’t found fans spotting Klopp in the formation of clouds on their airplane window. Yet, Reds followers were truly following Klopp’s plane from Germany to England, capturing the flight radar, cheering on through the moving landscapes and safe landing, as if we were receiving transmission from Apollo 13. What’s going to happen when it really does happen, when Klopp walks into a packed Anfield singing You’ll Never Walk Alone?

Hysteria. Why did that word pop in my mind first? Where did I hear it recently? Brendan Rodgers. He was right. There is a hysteria in Liverpool. Rodgers said two weeks ago… as if it was in another lifetime.

“Of course there's a lot of hysteria and I think that continues. I'm pretty confident that there's obviously a group of people who don't want me here as the manager,” said Rodgers after he beat struggling Aston Villa two weeks ago.

Yes, there was never a conspiracy. The fans simply preferred Klopp. They begged co-owner John Henry, even tweeting pictures of Klopp to Henry’s wife, such was the desperation. With Liverpool, you can count on a fairy tale ending, and the Internet meltdown was actually comparable to that night in Istanbul, without even kicking a ball. Henry played the red fairy, “Your wish is my command.” One might say it’s blasphemous to compare this to Istanbul 2005, but to Klopp’s advantage, the social media coverage has just taken hysteria to a new level.

6F37757738126F38AEDF9C5033E0FCF5.png

Liverpool fans stalk Jurgen Klopp's plane from Germany to England

Where did this fairy tale begin? For me it began in 2006 when I first saw Klopp up close and personal, and I do mean for real. I was in Germany for the World Cup, where a young Klopp worked as a journalist. He was easily approachable at the Sony Center in Berlin. You might be wondering what he was doing in that gig. Well, it was even a risk for ZDF TV to hire him as a presenter in the open air studio because Klopp was relatively unknown to the football world then. To me, when Klopp was presenting his football analysis, he was just that guy talking next to Franz Beckenbauer and introducing us to the real big names, such as Pele. Klopp was just the quiet, almost shy analyst, busy with his new invention of the time (Yes, he got German engineers to create it for him), drawing arrows on the screen to illustrate tactics.

At the time in Germany he wasn’t a nobody, he was the young coach of struggling Bundesliga club Mainz. In keeping with the role of the big screen in football manager's fame, it was his biggest opportunity in front of the camera during the World Cup, which raised his profile for the likes of Dortmund, impressing the German public with his in-game pointers. The rest is history. Now, he is about to bask in front of the cameras at Liverpool, and the English media wouldn’t have seen anything like this, not since Jose Mourinho first walked in London.

The Portuguese is now the most famous coach in the world, not just because he won the Uefa Champions League with Porto or Inter Milan… others have done it twice too. See, it’s due to his entertainment value in the media. He (and his puppet parody) was just so funny, and effective too, as a puppet master speaker, drawing all the journalists’ negativity toward himself, releasing the pressure from his players, like a God absorbing the sins of his fellow players.

That’s why even rival players, the likes of Steven Gerrard dreamed of having Mourinho as a coach. Not because Mourinho was jealous of how Rafa Benitez masterminded his defeat on the pitch, but because of the illusionary persona the self-appointed Special One created for himself. When you hold a power comparable to Mourinho, which the German scribes have foreseen with Klopp for the English Premier League, you will attract class players… and you won’t need to be Rodgers “pissing in the wind” for Toni Kroos, as Gerrard revealed in his book.

Klopp will introduce a new type of humour in Liverpool, boasting witty punch lines and a cultured taste in the arts, but wait… this is not a theatrical review. This is football. Do not judge Klopp as a master of ceremony. Just as Gerrard shouldn’t judge a coach on the warmth of a hug, nor should you the journalist or fan, judge Klopp on how entertaining he is on television. Otherwise Henry should’ve brought in former Mexico coach Miguel Herrera. He’s available too, after punching a journalist, resulted in his axing for Mexico. Tragedy and comedy in one Danny DeVito sized package.

This energy you can feel beaming through Herrera, is bubbling out of him and rubbing off his players. It’s infectious. It reaches the spectators and bounces all over the stadium like a Mexican wave of positivity. It’s exactly what the recent morgue at Anfield needs through the living Klopp, to feed off this energy, and awake! To resurrect the mythical European nights where Liverpool were feared by all in Europe, written down in folklore by the likes of Benitez and Bob Paisley before him.

Not the script by Rodgers that failed to turn over Bulgarian, Turkish and Swiss clubs. The Klopp technique is not just entertainment for show. The psychology is real. Benitez never charged down the field to celebrate with his players. He wrote notes during goals. However his meditative Buddha pose rubbed off to calm his players to beat Chelsea in the 2006-7 Champions League semi-final shootout.

You can’t judge a coach sensibly whilst in a state of frenzy, otherwise when the results catch up on you, you won’t know what hit you. A few losses and the followers will fear the magic is lost. Then how should we judge a manager? When they take the wool out of their eyes, the media judges coaches by results only. So, we think. Actually, all coaches lose matches and go through bad spells, and if that said coach, doesn’t have a good relationship with the media, it’s not difficult to spin an unfortunate string of results back into being the manager’s fault. If Klopp’s on good terms with us (as you expect he will be), then writers will be ready to explain how it was the player/s to blame instead. If you break that pact with the media, you can even be on top of the table but criticised for player relationships, favouritism, languages spoken and foreign tactics. He who lives by the sword shall die by the sword, so when you play your game on the television/computer screen, if you stare long enough this is where heroes turn into villains in time.

Not just Mourinho. Look at when the new model of reinventing German football began. Researchers placed it around the year 2008 in club football (the national team was earlier) with Jurgen Klinsmann, dubbing it ‘Concept Coaching (Konzepttrainer)’.

Ironically, Klinsmann was linked with Liverpool around that time when they were owned by American Texas cowboys George Gillett and Tom Hicks. Klinsmann used to visit them in the United States, and you can imagine how he gave H & G an earful on his philosophies. While living in America, Klinsmann learnt the latest techniques from US athletes. When Liverpool fans caught wind of this, it was the beginning of the end for the former owners. How things have changed in the FSG era.

First, Bayern Munich soon bought into Klinsmann’s ideas, but when the going got tough, the faith required to hold onto this new religion was lost. One by one high profile players such as Philipp Lahm turned on him, even stating that Klinsmann made minimal tactical preparation.

How did everything suddenly go pear shaped? Remember, Klinsmann was the darling of Germany just before that, not just as a legendary scorer but as their head coach for 2006. The pundits proved that the real genius behind Germany’s rise was actually his assistant Joachim Low, who took over as head coach, and the rest became history.

What can Klopp learn from history? The Concept Coach requires strong faith for everyone to come on board. When I was in Germany and their journalists were talking to me about the new system they were developing (as if it was in the underground bunkers with high concepts), I was laughing at them (probably just like how Bayern laughed at Klinsmann thereafter). I could laugh because England’s 5-1 thrashing of Germany in their own backyard was still fresh in my mind even though it was a World Cup qualification campaign earlier.

Growing up with the English media in South Africa, in my mind there was no doubt that the English team was far superior to the Germans at the time. All this talk about how the Germans were implementing these strategies in their youth systems, sounded like a dream, or a lie that when you tell enough people, someone will believe it. I also spoke to university students in Berlin who compared Germany’s rise to football power with the nationalism of World War 2, but I easily concluded that these boys just didn’t like to watch football. Which Germans were getting carried away?

Maybe, coming from South Africa I’m used to hearing about pipe-dream development plans. Though, I was living nearby in Austria for two years and also covered the European Cups at U19 and U21 level, where I saw Germany repeatedly losing in the finals to Spain - a precursor for what was in store at senior level in years to come. I watched their youth teams first hand each year and was beginning to suspect there was something to these master plans after all.

83EDA701741D0187524BC98F47ACC9D2.jpg

From being linked with Klinsmann to Klopp: How times have changed and what Jurgen can learn from Jurgen's failure

The main point in how they succeeded is that the Germans didn’t care about the impact of short term results in their leagues, as long as they were all following the same blue-print from bottom to top, to benefit the national team. They were all singing from the same hymn sheet and I should’ve never doubted the Germans to mechanically pull that off.

It took years. They had converted me. Low was previously the coach, where I was based in Vienna at Austria Wien. Somebody had to bring Low to the Premier League. However club football is different and Low never left his national post, even after winning the World Cup last year.

The third coach in the holy trinity of Concept Coaching is Klopp, the only one to prove himself with it in the Bundesliga. So, Klopps a better fit for the Kop after all. By now, you already know how he won the title against the odds with Dortmund, and took them all the way to the Champions League final in 2013. Then critics point out at his final season, but if you want to earn your badges as a coach worth his salt, it’s also about how you cope with crisis. Even the celebrated Carlo Ancelotti struggled at times. The writing was already on the wall for the departing Klopp in Dortmund.

So, how did I judge that? I believe a coach is assessed by his philosophy, his system and how he implements that in time over various challenges such as injuries, new signings, generational changes and various other factors, that we the media and fans, all need to understand to allow them time for. It’s not just about winning trebles and Champions Leagues, but also how you deal with a rotten patch, whether you can find that solution for your team to turn the corner, or not. You can’t win the league every season, but you have to find that solution and show provable signs that you are back on the onward curve.

Contrast that with Rodger’s philosophy in his 180-page dossier, which was rewritten every few months, sometimes rewritten during games. In the end it was not even that Rodgers didn’t know how to implement his ideas, but he didn’t know what his system was nor which players he wanted to achieve anything.

The Liverpool board, and you the reader, already know what Klopp stands for and how he fits into FSG’s model. He’s not going to swing toward Pep Guardiola’s style one month and Mourinho’s the next… Klopp has his own identity that differentiates him from other Concept Coaches, Klinsmann and Low. The high-pressing, counter-attacking, heavy-metal football wasn’t Rodgers ideal initially. It doesn’t belong to any one coach, but Klopp has made it work to win trophies. Not just to lose them. Rodgers pointed out that he’s the same coach that nearly won the league. It’s the other way around. Rodgers is the same coach that lost the league title. Watch the Crystal Palace fiasco and the silly goals conceded all season.

Rodgers says he needed the tools (players) to make it happen, but he didn’t have his own tools (tactical knowledge or experience) to implement the tools of this philosophy. FSG wanted Klopp from day one to reinvent Liverpool and football in England, while Rodgers talked Klopp’s talk about new concepts. Now, Liverpool finally got the man who knows how to make it happen. It’s over to the players now, because we the media can first blame Rodgers or the Liverpool transfer committee’s signings, until it’s time to turn on Klopp one day.

Next time, I will tell you how Klopp can turn Liverpool around. I can write a 180-page dossier too, but I can’t do it for real.

Ferguson ‘worried’ Klopp will impress at Liverpool

Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted that Liverpool’s appointment of Jurgen Klopp has left him “worried” as he feels the German will do well at Anfield.

Former Borussia Dortmund manager Klopp has been appointed by Liverpool on a three-year contract to replace Brendan Rodgers, and gave his first press conference on Friday.

The appointment of the German has delighted Liverpool fans, and former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson admits he believes the manager will “do well” at the club.

“It’s a good appointment. I admire him,” Ferguson told ESPN. “I know Jurgen pretty well from our meetings at the coaching classes in Geneva.

“He’s got a strong personality, very stubborn, very strong, determined. His career at Dortmund was a stellar rise to the top and I think he’ll do very well. I don’t want to say that with it being Liverpool; I’m worried about it!”

“He’ll do well.”

The Standard Sport and Goal.com articles are the most balanced ones I've read on Klopp so far.

Any chance of posting the source links as well? I never read anything without it.
Link added to the evening standard article.

I really wish I remembered who to add frames into the posts (it inserts a frame like a browser window into the post with the original article window, it's boss but no one ever does it cos there's no button to do it!).

@RedNinja any chance of a reminder how to do it or a handy button? X

Thought that it's interesting the Telegraph article mentions how little stats actually effect Klopp's coaching methods.

I've hit my 20 articles on the Torygraph, can someone copy it to here?

On the morning of May 23, 2008, Jürgen Klopp was unveiled as the new manager of Borussia Dortmund. But he did not start his new job immediately. That afternoon, he stood up on stage in the centre of Mainz to say goodbye to the club where he had spent 19 years of his life.
An old Trude Herr song played over the loudspeakers: Niemals geht man so ganz, 'Nobody ever completely leaves'. As 20,000 Mainz fans chanted the name of their former manager – “JÜRGEN! JÜRGEN!” – uncontrollable tears rolled down Klopp’s cheeks. Never again, he promised himself, would he allow himself to become this emotionally attached to a football club.

'My father was ruthless'
Norbert Klopp had two daughters, but what he really wanted a son. Eventually, his wife gave birth to a boy. They named him Jürgen.
Norbert worked as a travelling salesman, selling dowels and wall fixings. But he had been a promising goalkeeper in his youth, earning a trial at Kaiserslautern as a teenager. And so he resolved to give the young Jürgen a thorough sporting education: skiing in the winter, tennis in the summer, football all year round.
There was one problem: Norbert was much, much better than Jürgen at everything. When they did sprints across the football field, Norbert would be at the halfway line in the time it took Jürgen to run 18 yards. When they played tennis, Norbert would win 6-0, 6-0.
“Do you think this is fun for me?” a furious Jürgen would shout over the net.
“Do you think this is fun for me?” a furious Norbert would shout back.
• Klopp sounded like Jose Mourinho - and that should thrill Liverpool
“He was ruthless,” Klopp said of his father in an interview with Die Zeit in 2009. “When we went skiing, I only ever saw his red anorak from behind. He never waited for me. It didn’t matter that I was just a beginner. He wanted me to become the perfect skier.”
Norbert Klopp was the sort of man who gave criticism freely and praise rarely. It was a chastening upbringing for the young Jürgen, but it instilled an attitude that would make him the manager he became: nothing but the best will do.

'He was born to be a trainer'

Klopp was a Stuttgart fan, and his favourite player growing up was a stalwart but unsophisticated centre-half called Karlheinz Forster. Something in his dedication, his intelligence and above all his attitude endeared him to the young Klopp. “For me,” Klopp would later say, “attitude was always more important than talent.”
It was a maxim that applied equally to Klopp’s own playing career. After holding down a series of part-time jobs – working in a video rental store, loading lorries – he landed his first professional contract at Mainz in 1989, playing as a hard-working, technically-limited striker before being converted into a hard-working, technically-limited defender.
klopp-playing2_3469314b.jpg
Jurgen Klopp in action for Mainz
“He was not a good technical player, but he always played with aggression,” remembers Thomas Ziemer, who played with Klopp at Mainz in the mid-1990s before returning in 2000. “He was a big team man, a very good friend of all the players.”
• 'I am the normal one'
Ziemer and Klopp were particularly close. They would share a room on away trips, spending whole nights chatting and smoking. “In my first season,” Ziemer remembers, “we shared a room together on a training camp, and one night on a team evening, we sang the song ‘I Swear’ by Boyz II Men [Ziemer actually means All 4 One]. It was a No1 hit in the charts at the time, so we made a little boy group, just the two of us. It was very funny.”
On the training pitch, Klopp was forming his own double-act with manager Wolfgang Frank. Frank is widely credited as being one of the first German managers of the era to play the Viererkette: doing away with the sweeper that was in vogue at the time, in favour of a four-man zonal defence and diamond midfield. Klopp was strongly influenced, and in his recent Dortmund teams you can see echoes of Frank’s ideology: the high press, the immaculate choreography of the back four, overloading the flanks.
• Sir Alex Ferguson backs Jurgen Klopp to do 'very well' at Liverpool
“He had many, many ideas,” Ziemer says. “But he also got many ideas from Wolfgang Frank. He would speak many times with him about tactics. At this time, we already knew he was born to make a trainer.”
Klopp had similar ideas. Earning a modest salary of 2,300 marks (£900) a month, he realised that he needed to start investing in his future. Twice a week he would make the 250-mile round trip to Cologne to take classes at the legendary Erich Rutemoller’s coaching school.
klopp-playing_3469315b.jpg
Klopp was a formidable character even in his playing days
• Klopp oozes chutzpah and charisma - and is exactly what Liverpool craved
Then, in February 2001, fate intervened. The coach Eckhard Krautzun was sacked on the eve of an away game. An emergency summit was called at the team hotel with sporting manager Christian Heidel and senior players. “We all said it was best for the club that Jürgen becomes the trainer tomorrow,” Ziemer remembers. “That was the start of his career.” At that point, the youth team coach called up and asked who the new coach was. “For the last 10 minutes,” Klopp announced, “me.”
• Klopp warns: We will do things one way at Liverpool - my way
Results immediately picked up. After twice missing out on the last day of the season, Mainz were finally promoted to the Bundesliga in 2004. Despite having the smallest ground and one of the smallest budgets in the league, they defied gravity for three seasons. And so when Dortmund finally came calling in 2008, Klopp was not ushered out of the back door as a turncoat, but feted on stage as a hero.
“When we played in 1994, it was a really small club,” Ziemer says. “But now it’s one of the top eight clubs in Germany. They have a new stadium, a lot of money, a good junior team – Andre Schurrle and Marko Marin came from the youth club. It was all from Jürgen’s hard work.”

'Klopp only has friends'

This was the Klopp that led Dortmund to two Bundesliga titles, a Champions League final, their first ever double. And just as at Mainz, Dortmund’s fans grew not just to respect Klopp as a coach, but love him as one might a father.
klopp-trophy_3469336b.jpg
Klopp with the 2011 Bundesliga title
Sadly, Klopp’s own father would not live to see his achievements. He died of cancer in 2000, shortly after rising from his sickbed to play a vital doubles match at his local tennis club. “I firmly believe that he is watching from above,” Klopp once said in a documentary, “and having a hell of a lot of fun about what has happened down here.”
One of the keys to Klopp’s success throughout his career was the very quality he learned from his father: a dedication to total perfection. Even at a club of Dortmund’s size, he developed a reputation as a figurehead, an omnipresence, a micro-manager.
klopp-fans_3469311b.jpg
Dortmund fans say thank you to Klopp
He would personally speak to the club’s sponsors to secure their continued business. He watched hours and hours of video footage. Contrary to the popular view of Klopp as a stat-hungry football nerd, Klopp actually confessed in a 2012 Tagesspiegel interview that “only a small fraction” of statistical data actually interests him.
Instead, if his Dortmund career is anything to go by, Klopp will bring a more old-fashioned analysis to Anfield: tape, tape and more tape. Sundays will be spent watching Saturday’s game in microscopic detail, rewinding and fast-forwarding, again and again. Generally it takes Klopp five or six hours to review a 90-minute match. On Tuesday, the whole team will be shown clips of what they did well and what they did badly.

Under-pinning everything are Klopp’s famous man-management skills. “He was a friend of everybody at the club, from the president to the bus driver,” says Ziemer. “That’s the personality of Jürgen Klopp. He only has friends.”
So it was that on the afternoon of May 23, 2015, exactly seven years after leaving Mainz, Klopp again said goodbye, this time to Dortmund. This time, wary of crying, he had decided to record a video message in advance.
As it was played on the big screen, Klopp stood in the centre circle watching himself, the tears slowly welling in his eyes. Niemals geht man so ganz. Nobody ever completely leaves. And it is quite possible that at that very moment, he made another promise to himself that he will never, ever keep.

Link added to the evening standard article.

I really wish I remembered who to add frames into the posts (it inserts a frame like a browser window into the post with the original article window, it's boss but no one ever does it cos there's no button to do it!).

@RedNinja any chance of a reminder how to do it or a handy button? X
Code:
[URL='Insert-url-here']Continue Reading...[/URL] (for Tapatalk Users)

[parsehtml]
<iframe src="Insert-url-here" width="95%" height="1200" frameborder="0">
<p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p>
</iframe> [/parsehtml]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom