• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Leiva forced to stop playing football indefinitely after detected 'heart problem'

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Binny

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ball-indefinitely-heart-problem-detected.html

[article]Former Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva has been forced to give up football while he waits to undergo more tests as his routine screening detected a potential heart problem.

The 35-year-old Brazilian spent 15 years plying his trade in Europe before returning to his boyhood club, Gremio, on a free transfer last year.

Lucas - who signed a one-year-deal with the Brazilian side - has been ruled out of the club's pre-season training schedule while he waits for further tests.

Lucas took to Twitter on Tuesday evening to share a statement from the Gremio's medical department.

It said that Lucas would forego any physical activity - including Gremio's pre-season training schedule - while he waited to undergo further assessments.

The statement read: 'The Medical Department of Gremio reports that the athlete Lucas Leiva presented, in the routine examinations of the pre-season, a picture of change in heart rhythm being, consequently, removed from physical activities until the completion of complementary tests and treatment of the condition.'

Lucas made 247 Premier League appearances for Liverpool during his 10 year-spell at the Merseyside club. However, he scored just one goal.

He was sold to Serie A giants Lazio in 2017 for £5million. He played in Rome until the expiry of his contract in the summer.

He then signed for his boyhood club, Gremio. Lucas played for Gremio between 2005 and 2007, before making the move to Liverpool aged 20.

Lucas became Liverpool's player of the year for the 2010-11 season and went on to win the 2012 League Cup.

When announcing his return to Gremio, Lucas took to Instagram to say: 'Tricolor fans, I came back 15 years later to help the club and the group of players. Time to unite even more to achieve this access to the elite of Brazilian football.' [/article]

I guess if you're going to find a heart problem, you'd want it to be right at the end of your career.

All the best to to the guy.

Hope he's OK. At least he's not far off retiring from football anyway but you'd hope he has a good long life ahead of him. Whatever we thought of him as a player he has LFC in his heart.
More proof Liverpool isn't good for the heart then.

He’s at the retirement stage where most footballers would’ve called it time by now so hopefully that can help him not feel to disappointed.

I’m sure he’s in good hands and can now move on to channeling his focus on the things that are more important in life.

Didn't realise he was still playing - time to hang the boots up I think. Nothing more important than your health

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom