• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool FC: 4 Players Leaving in Summer and Possible Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=44291.msg1288690#msg1288690 date=1298286684]
[quote author=Modo link=topic=44291.msg1288681#msg1288681 date=1298285908]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=44291.msg1288675#msg1288675 date=1298285646]
[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=44291.msg1288664#msg1288664 date=1298284595]
Our squad is a joke so obviously the majority of those outgoings will need a replacement. [/quote]

the biggest joke about the squad is the number of players on massive wages who contribute (play) once in a blue moon.
you say these players need 'replacing' but does a player like jova (for example) need 'replacing' he never plays. the likes of lucas needs 'replacing' jova, el zar, etc just need fucking off, there is no slack to pick up as these players hardly ever play.
[/quote]

I'm not against promoting some of the youth players.
[/quote]

I think that is the way forwards. if you have a core group of 16 players that contribute week in week out then they should be back up by youth players this way their wages are small and when they hardly play it's not a big deal because they are getting getting in the reserves. you can then take the money you would have spent on 'experience' that pad out the sqaud and hardly contribute on make the 'core 16' better.
it would be worth taking a hit on transfer fees on the likes of joe cole and jova to make that happen but what you lose on the transfer fee you make back in saved wages over the term of their contract.
[/quote]
My thoughts exactly.
If it was done right before, Hammill and Warnock would still be in the club today as squad alternatives.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=44291.msg1288726#msg1288726 date=1298291185]
16 'name' players isn't enough.

A few injuries and you're fucked.
[/quote]

That's the general idea Keni. 16 name players, a few journeymen + talented youth players = 25 man squad.

[/quote]

in an ideal world you'd want 22 quality players - 2 for every position on the pitch, that isn't going to be possible in one or two transfer windows (unless nesv give kenny carte blanche and I can't see that happening) we'll end up spreading the budget too thin to get to that 22 so you end up squad with little quality (pretty much what we have no to be honest) we'd be better off working with a small group of higher quality and praying we don't get many injuries or if we do get injuries the reserve players turn out to be a revelation. our policy of quanity over quality in the last 10 years has got us silverware but in the league has got us nowhere with the exceptions of 2002 and 2009. we need to change our policy or the cycle will continue.

By 'name' players I meant players that aren't still in the youth / reserve teams.

No manager is going to go into a 50-60 game season with 16 players and a bunch of kids.

[/quote]

I think you're right. The squad should consist of at least 18 players.
Imagine having this squad:

GK: Reina, Jones
RCB: Carra, Cahill
LCB: Agger, Wilson
RB: Kelly, Johnson
LB: Taiwo, Aurelio
DM: Lucas, Adam
CM/ AM: Meireles, Gerrard, Shelvey
Wingers: Young, Marveux
ST: Carroll, Suarez, Ngog

Back up: Pacheco, Coady, Ecclestone, Ince
Purposely left out Kuyt, Cole, Skrtel, Kyrgiakos and Aquilani, because they would be surplus to requirements.

But in reality there probably won't be a mass exodus this summer and we'll probably only sign Marveux and a new LB.

It's all well and good saying we should ship out 10 or so players that aren't good enough, but as I think someone else has said recently, it's not easy to sell bad players, and you also have to replace at least some of them.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=44291.msg1288732#msg1288732 date=1298292013]
By 'name' players I meant players that aren't still in the youth / reserve teams.

No manager is going to go into a 50-60 game season with 16 players and a bunch of kids.
[/quote]

how many of the squad actually contribute currently, 16?

1. Jones - 2nd choice keeper - yes
2. Johnson - yes
3. Konchesky - no
4. Meireles - yes
5. Agger - yes
6. Aurelio - yes
7. Suarez - yes
8. Gerrard - yes
9. Carroll - injuried but will be first choice
10. J Cole - no
12. Pacheco - no
14. Jovanovic - no
16. Kyrgiakos - yes
17. Maxi - yes
18. Kuyt - yes
21. Lucas - yes
22. D Wilson - reserve
23. Carragher - yes
24. Ngog - yes
25. Reina - yes
26. Spearing - reserve
28. Poulsen - no
30. Suso - reserve
31. Sterling - reserve
32. Darby - reserve
33. Shelvey - yes
34. Kelly - yes
35. Coady - reserve
36. Irwin - reserve
37. Skrtel - yes
38. Flanagan - reserve
39. Eccleston - reserve
40. Ayala - reserve
41. Hansen - reserve
42. Gulacsi - reserve
43. Bouzanis -reserve
45. Ince - reserve
46. Amoo - reserve
47. Wisdom - reserve
48. Bruna - reserve
49. Robinson - reserve
- Aquilani - no
- Chamberlain - reserve
- Cooper - reserve
- Degen - no
- El Zhar - no
- Insua - no
- Kohlert - reserve
- Mavinga - reserve
- Mendy - reserve
- Roberts - reserve
- Saric - reserve
- Thomas - reserve

you have roughly 18 players contributing then the rest is either made up of players that hardly play, are youth/reserve players and players out on loan.
I said 16, okay we need 18 players of quality and the rest of the squad can be made up of reserve players.
ship out the players that never player as they wont be missed - jova, cole, aqua, poulsen, cuntcheskey, etc
replace the players who play but aren't good enough for the position they occupy - maxi, lucas etc
so you still have a small squad of 18 core players but the quality is higher.

the question is, is nesv willing to take a high on shipping out players on high wages who don't contribute AND pull up the slack of adding to the transfer kitty. if we get rid off too many players on the cheap and nesv aren't willing to dip into their pocket there wont be enough money to sign several top quality players.

I think you have 17 players there with a 'yes' tagged onto them.

We need to make a few signings in the summer, which will bring us to the 20+ mark.

That's much better, isn't it?

[quote author=keniget link=topic=44291.msg1288765#msg1288765 date=1298296924]
I think you have 17 players there with a 'yes' tagged onto them.

We need to make a few signings in the summer, which will bring us to the 20+ mark.

That's much better, isn't it?
[/quote]

some of the people marked yes will have to be sold to bring in better quality players so the number isn't going to grow much beyond 17-18 of players that contribute on a regular basis.

Why?

You've got Cole, Konchesky, Poulsen, Jovanovic, Pacheco as well as all the on loan players marked as 'No' and therefore to be sold.

How many players do you expect us to sell over the summer?

[quote author=keniget link=topic=44291.msg1288773#msg1288773 date=1298298037]
Why?

You've got Cole, Konchesky, Poulsen, Jovanovic, Pacheco as well as all the on loan players marked as 'No' and therefore to be sold.

How many players do you expect us to sell over the summer?
[/quote]

as I said it depends how much nesv want to contribute to the transfer kitty. I don't think we are going to get much want for the people we want to sell.

Whatever the problem is, the solution isn't to go into a season with a tiny squad that would be seriously fucked by a couple of injuries.

We're going to struggle to sell a couple and we'll probably take a hit on a couple of others. I remain fairly positive that we'll sign a few decent players regardless.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=44291.msg1288756#msg1288756 date=1298296062]
[quote author=keniget link=topic=44291.msg1288732#msg1288732 date=1298292013]

[/quote]

how many of the squad actually contribute currently, 16?

1. Jones - 2nd choice keeper - yes
2. Johnson - yes
3. Konchesky - no
4. Meireles - yes
5. Agger - yes
6. Aurelio - yes
7. Suarez - yes
8. Gerrard - yes
9. Carroll - injuried but will be first choice
10. J Cole - no
12. Pacheco - no
14. Jovanovic - no
16. Kyrgiakos - yes
17. Maxi - yes
18. Kuyt - yes
21. Lucas - yes
22. D Wilson - reserve
23. Carragher - yes
24. Ngog - yes
25. Reina - yes
26. Spearing - reserve
28. Poulsen - no
30. Suso - reserve
31. Sterling - reserve
32. Darby - reserve
33. Shelvey - yes
34. Kelly - yes
35. Coady - reserve
36. Irwin - reserve
37. Skrtel - yes
38. Flanagan - reserve
39. Eccleston - reserve
40. Ayala - reserve
41. Hansen - reserve
42. Gulacsi - reserve
43. Bouzanis -reserve
45. Ince - reserve
46. Amoo - reserve
47. Wisdom - reserve
48. Bruna - reserve
49. Robinson - reserve
- Aquilani - no
- Chamberlain - reserve
- Cooper - reserve
- Degen - no
- El Zhar - no
- Insua - no
- Kohlert - reserve
- Mavinga - reserve
- Mendy - reserve
- Roberts - reserve
- Saric - reserve
- Thomas - reserve

you have roughly 18 players contributing then the rest is either made up of players that hardly play, are youth/reserve players and players out on loan.
I said 16, okay we need 18 players of quality and the rest of the squad can be made up of reserve players.
ship out the players that never player as they wont be missed - jova, cole, aqua, poulsen, cuntcheskey, etc
replace the players who play but aren't good enough for the position they occupy - maxi, lucas etc
so you still have a small squad of 18 core players but the quality is higher.
[/quote]Given that we are 20 odd points off the top of the league and out of both cup competitions are you SURE you should be using us a borometer of what a squad size should or shouldnt be. We've fucked it up, doesnt really matter how many weve used as all that shows is that what we did this year failed.

Lack of depth in squad + Roy as manager + poor transfers in = failure.

Like I said 16 players + 4 journeyman + 5 youth players should be enough.

Even if you use the Scum as a barometer, I'm sure you'll find that their numbers would be pretty close to my suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom