• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool lead race for Downing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebel23

Active
Liverpool lead the race for Downing as Boro fire sale looms

By Sportsmail Reporter
Last updated at 12:03 AM on 19th May 2009

article-0-032C7E27000005DC-416_468x390.jpg

Stewart Downing, Tuncay, Afonso Alves and Robert Huth will lead the exodus from Middlesbrough if the club are relegated at West Ham on Sunday.

Liverpool are favourites to sign Downing, valued at around £10million, although Tottenham and Aston Villa will also join the fight.

Turkey captain Tuncay has attracted interest from Chelsea but former club Fenerbahce want him, too.

Brazil striker Alves will spend the summer recovering from a broken metatarsal but that is unlikely to put off Benfica, while Stoke are keen on Huth and had a £5m offer for the defender rejected in January.

Link

Great. An English version of Riera. Just what we need.

I really hope Spurs beat us in a bidding war.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33601.msg870182#msg870182 date=1242694234]
An English version of Riera.[/quote]

Except Riera has scored this season.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=33601.msg870185#msg870185 date=1242694385]

[/quote]

Look, Downing's good. He's Boro's best player by far, and I was surprised to hear how highly Capello rates him, but he's not what we need.

He hasn't got shattering pace, he's not a great goal threat, he's not altogethor tricky, different or skillful. He's just a pretty capable left winger that can keep the ball, offer good balance, and would fit into most teams. But we've already got one of those, so what's the fucking point?

We do if our quota of home grown is bumped up, they are saying 5 now, that could go up!

[quote author=jason link=topic=33601.msg870246#msg870246 date=1242713639]
We do if our quota of home grown is bumped up, they are saying 4 now, that could go up!
[/quote]

That 4 was the number decided on by the clubs after much deliberation, they aren't going to turn round now and ask to make their own lives harder.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33601.msg870187#msg870187 date=1242694581]
[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=33601.msg870185#msg870185 date=1242694385]

[/quote]

Look, Downing's good. He's Boro's best player by far, and I was surprised to hear how highly Capello rates him, but he's not what we need.

He hasn't got shattering pace, he's not a great goal threat, he's not altogethor tricky, different or skillful. He's just a pretty capable left winger that can keep the ball, offer good balance, and would fit into most teams. But we've already got one of those, so what's the fucking point?
[/quote]

Presumably we would sell Albert back to Spain, replace him with Downing, and thus boost our 'Englishness'.

I don't mind that as long as Downing's a bench option rather than first choice.

I'm not willing to believe our major summer transfers would be Stewart fucking Downing and Gareth fucking Barry.

If they are, I'll be calling for Rafa's head before a ball is kicked next season.

Rafa wont do it, no way. He knows what we need and he's got full control over the transfers now. He'll buy the right players, I'm sure of it.

[quote author=Mors link=topic=33601.msg870310#msg870310 date=1242722245]
I'm not willing to believe our major summer transfers would be Stewart fucking Downing and Gareth fucking Barry.

If they are, I'll be calling for Rafa's head before a ball is kicked next season.
[/quote]

Yep.. sadly, I agree.

I thought the title was won and lost last summer with our failure to bring in much quality. 2 Summers of Dossenas' and Downings' would be inexcusable.

[quote author=St.Benitez link=topic=33601.msg870303#msg870303 date=1242721843]
He's utter shite, no thanks.
[/quote]

That's unfair, I don't agree with that , he is actually a decent player, but as has been said not that much better than Riera.

regards

He's very direct with his running and puts defenders on the back foot, useful for counter attacks... Yes please but 9mill..no silly money!

[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=33601.msg870332#msg870332 date=1242724743]
[quote author=St.Benitez link=topic=33601.msg870303#msg870303 date=1242721843]
He's utter shite, no thanks.
[/quote]

That's unfair, I don't agree with that , he is actually a decent player, but as has been said not that much better than Riera.

regards
[/quote]

I will admit Vlad that when he first broke onto the scene, i thought that he had a lot of potential. This season though I've watched him a few times and I've never seen him put in a decent performance (he's gone backwards IMO)

Maybe I'm being harsh, but if we were to spend £10m on him I'd be devastated. If the worst came to the worst, I'd much prefer Riera on the left than Downing next season.

My heart sank when I saw him play against Newcastle, so far out on the right wing the ball had to go out of play to reach him. I guess that shows his 'versatility'. He can, on form, put in some very good crosses, but his temperament is the opposite of what the squad needs. He crumbled for England during McLaren's time after one bout of bad criticism, and if he suffers after that he'll be invisible if we get a couple of poor results. In terms of strengthening the squad we need pace and we need passion as well as skill, and he's not going to provide it.

I have never been a fan of Downing, having said that he has been plying his trade in a shit team for long enough, as the team regresses so will he.
That said he is not "utter shite" and I think you now might mean he is slightly better than average.
I quite like Albert you see. I think he suffered as the season went on, but his overall contribution for his first season , I see as a positive. I am more than happy to see what happens next year with a full pre-season with us behind him. I still think he has been one of the reasons for our improvement, even if just adding a little balance and consistency to our left hand side. Look for someone on the right and a top forward and then judge Riera next year.

regards

[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=33601.msg870342#msg870342 date=1242725666]
I have never been a fan of Downing, having said that he has been plying his trade in a shit team for long enough, as the team regresses so will he.
That said he is not "utter shite" and I think you now might mean he is slightly better than average.
I quite like Albert you see. I think he suffered as the season went on, but his overall contribution for his first season , I see as a positive. I am more than happy to see what happens next year with a full pre-season with us behind him. I still think he has been one of the reasons for our improvement, even if just adding a little balance and consistency to our left hand side. Look for someone on the right and a top forward and then judge Riera next year.

regards

[/quote]

Yeah ok i was being harsh, but i don't rate him at all.

So you'd be happy to have Riera as 1st choice next season?

I do think that you're right about the balance that his inclusion has added. It just makes me even more convinced though, that if we can get in a top class LW this summer, then we'll see a healthy improvement to our overall play in this area.

If Kuyt is going to remain on the right, then we need a player with slightly different attributes to what Albert currently offers.

Id love us to sign a new left back and left winger this summer but i didn't have Downing in mind. Hes better than people give him credit for but hes not title winning material.

[quote author=KopPoNok link=topic=33601.msg870374#msg870374 date=1242728016]
I'd rather keep Babel.
[/quote]

Snap.

I'd rather keep Babel.
[/quote]

I'd rather have pins poked in my eyes.

Liverpool's hopes of landing Stewart Downing could be scuppered as the Middlesbrough winger faces up to six months out injured.

The England international will undergo surgery on his foot on Friday and he has been warned he could be out until Christmas, putting his £10million summer move to Anfield in serious doubt.

Scans have revealed that Downing fractured his foot when he was caught by Stiliyan Petrov in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Aston Villa and he will miss Boro's final day relegation scrap at West Ham.

Hopefully this will put an end to the Downing talk.

[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=33601.msg870342#msg870342 date=1242725666]

regards

[/quote]

Totally agree, especially about Riera.

[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=33601.msg870379#msg870379 date=1242728453]
I'd rather keep Babel.
[/quote]

[/quote]

That would really hurt, Vlad.

[quote author=Irish_Red link=topic=33601.msg870381#msg870381 date=1242728707]
Liverpool's hopes of landing Stewart Downing could be scuppered as the Middlesbrough winger faces up to six months out injured.

The England international will undergo surgery on his foot on Friday and he has been warned he could be out until Christmas, putting his £10million summer move to Anfield in serious doubt.

Scans have revealed that Downing fractured his foot when he was caught by Stiliyan Petrov in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Aston Villa and he will miss Boro's final day relegation scrap at West Ham.

Hopefully this will put an end to the Downing talk.
[/quote]

Feel sorry for him but am kinda happy becoz it means most likely we wont get him now =]

[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=33601.msg870379#msg870379 date=1242728453]
I'd rather keep Babel.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Snap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom