• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool v Aston Villa - Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chamberlain was told that it would take a year before his knee would be back to full rotation, or something similar. So really next season is the test.

People weren't saying that when he was blasting in goals like against City. I get what you say about consistency, but I think it's premature. For us he did start to look consistently impressive, and then - let's not forget - he suffered an horrific combination of injuries that might have finished some players. I don't think it's over-generous to give him at least a season to fully regain, or come close to, his previous form. Next season will really be the test, but we've been wanting a midfielder who can really be that kind of attacking threat since Ray Houghton. He's worth giving a bit more time IMHO.
I’m guilty as the next person of forgetting just how much those injuries would have affected him both mentally and physically.

Jamie Carragher on Divok Origi

https://www.thetotallyfootballshow....igi-the-best-worst-player-van-dijk-the-daddy/

And then there’s Divock Origi, scorer of two against Everton and some of the biggest goals in Liverpool’s recent history.

“Oh, Origi…what do you say about Origi? He’s possibly the best worst player in the world. He just scores in big games – he’s a legend in Liverpool…a ‘cult hero’ you might say. If one of the front three was out for a long time with a serious injury – maybe what Fabinho’s got now – you might worry, but his minutes-to-goals ratio and the goals he’s scored in big games – it’s unbelievable.

“If you look at it, the last few games that Salah has missed, Jurgen Klopp hasn’t put Origi in. He’s put Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in as part of the front three, which I don’t think really works. I think they would struggle if one of those three was out, but he just produces big goals.”

And by ‘best worst’ player, he means someone with limited technique who is actually very effective. Like Pippo Inzaghi.

“Exactly like that, but he scored two goals in the Champions League final on me so I can’t really say anything about Inzaghi.”

In fairness I would like to come at this a different way....Maybe the main problem was not totally down to starting Origi, maybe it was compounded by starting the "Ox" also..., Maybe with would have been better to have started a Henderson, Gini, Shaqiri or a Minamino, someone with a bit more creativity, someone who could better see a pass and pick one out...

Having said that we need to move both the Ox and Origi on (plus others) Lallana,Shaqiri etc, £60m + for all four, plus the £15m form last season, £75m+ to invest on atleast 1 quuality player

“Oh, Origi…what do you say about Origi? He’s possibly the best worst player in the world. He just scores in big games – he’s a legend in Liverpool…a ‘cult hero’ you might say. If one of the front three was out for a long time with [hl]a serious injury – maybe what Fabinho’s got now[/hl] – you might worry, but his minutes-to-goals ratio and the goals he’s scored in big games – it’s unbelievable.
I assume this is from months ago ... or has Jamie got the inside track on a freak injury Fabinho has just picked up?

I assume this is from months ago ... or has Jamie got the inside track on a freak injury Fabinho has just picked up?
Don 't know how you watch the match but he said similar in his commentary during the villa game

but here is another ex liverpool player/Manager saying the same thing...

Graeme Souness believes Liverpool may ‘live to regret’ not buying a striker this summer because Divock Origi is proving to be a ‘fair drop in quality..

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/07/...liverpool-over-player-whos-a-drop-in-quality/

And jamie Carragher reiterating what he said this on the 22/06/2020

Via the Daily express Carragher said on Sky Sports: "The front three we know are as good as anything in Europe but whenever one of them has not been playing, there is a massive drop off.
"I went back to a game earlier in the season, I don't think Salah played at Manchester United and that was another game that Liverpool dropped points in.

"They don't miss too many games but when they do there is a big drop off and that's why I think Liverpool still need to strengthen their front three.

"Divok Origi is a legend for Liverpool because of the goals he's scored at different times but isn't quite the quality. Minamino as part of the front three - not for me.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...jamie-carragher-warns-liverpool-over-18463961

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom