• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool v Sevilla Match Thread CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nice protection from midfield.
No Klopp, we don't need a defensive mid.
How do you allow an opponent to turn like that, from a throw in, right in front of our box? How??

Fucking hell. Why does our team look so fucking chaotic. There's no calm. We can't control game. We just run run run and harass our opponents until we get tired.
Sevilla were so much smarter than us later in the second half. They just had running after the ball while they calmly passed it around.
Seriously, it's fucking shite state of affairs and Klopp is ultimately the one responsible.
Blame the defence all you want our midfield is fucking shit and they can't control shit.

Yeah, but despite the midfield containing someone you can't help but hate on, the defense is even chronically worse.

Klopp doesn't know how to organise a team defensively, end of. There are plenty of personnel there who are good players, but we have no organisation. Have a look at the second goal, Salah and Gomez are ball watching completely. If your team repeatedly switches off like that, it's not a personnel problem, it's a managerial problem. They all do it, his signings and the players who were already there.

Yeah, but despite the midfield containing someone you can't help but hate on, the defense is even chronically worse.

Klopp doesn't know how to organise a team defensively, end of. There are plenty of personnel there who are good players, but we have no organisation. Have a look at the second goal, Salah and Gomez are ball watching completely. If your team repeatedly switches off like that, it's not a personnel problem, it's a managerial problem. They all do it, his signings and the players who were already there.

It's both players and manager.

How do you allow an opponent to turn like that, from a throw in, right in front of our box? How??

... I think I'm joining you in the anti hendo camp.

He's a shadow of the player he was a few years ago, and he is mostly wasteful

Bloody hell he's been out for god knows how long and were how many games into the season? Hendo will come good.

I think it's both that's the issue

The defence is moreso shaky as fuck because they get no protection from midfield.

The defence is dead shit, but our midfield... Fuck

I blame Can for the second. They have a throw and he's standing there marking nobody, giving the thrower a free shot to the guy who had the assist.

Surely you can't blame Klopp for that? Hendo switched off, half the team did in fact.

Surely you can't blame Klopp for that? Hendo switched off, half the team did in fact.

Bollocks. Henderson is the only one who reacts. Henderson has a player and has to leave him because Can doesn't pick up his man. Salah, Can and Gomez all react too late. Henderson is the only one who reacts, the player who ends up on the ball isn't his man!

The problem is systemic.

I find it hard to believe that the players are so shit, so defensively inept that they cannot be organized to defend better as a team.

In an ideal world every team wants those players that are a freakish mix of footballing genius and athletic ability but when nothing else will do... you've got problems.

Anyways... yeah, we will regret not making some major defensive signings in the summer. There are a couple of starters that are not good enough irrespective of systems.

Bollocks. Henderson is the only one who reacts. Henderson has a player and has to leave him because Can doesn't pick up his man. Salah, Can and Gomez all react too late. Henderson is the only one who reacts, the player who ends up on the ball isn't his man!

Fair enough. My point was that the players deserve the blame more than Klopp in that instance. It's elementary stuff.

Klopps game exposes the defence so badly and the fact they are average and error prone just destroys us. He's too stubborn to shift the balance of play away from his default approach. We need world class defenders to play this way. Instead we've got Lovren, Klaven, Moreno and some kids.

Fair enough. My point was that the players deserve the blame more than Klopp in that instance. It's elementary stuff.

Who organises them? If it's elementary stuff, they clearly don't remember the fundamental basics, as they repeatedly forget the school boy stuff, and you're not telling me that only rears it's head during games, it must happen in training all the time. So Klopp should be addressing it and he clearly isn't, or it isn't getting through, either way it's as much on him.

Who organises them? If it's elementary stuff, they clearly don't remember the fundamental basics, as they repeatedly forget the school boy stuff, and you're not telling me that only rears it's head during games, it must happen in training all the time. So Klopp should be addressing it and he clearly isn't, or it isn't getting through, either way it's as much on him.

When every player makes mistakes like these, it's not that every player is shit. Totally agree that the accountability at some point lies with Klopp. Some of the players do need upgrading but it can't be all of them.

Do you need to ask top level players to run? Or to track players? The players were there. We had like 7-8 back against 3 or 4 in a throw in. The players just didn't bother.

I blame Klopp for not getting a defensive midfielder. To be completely honest Keita isn't the solution either. He's a CM. At Leipzig, he has a DM, Diego Demme, next to him which allows him to go on his dribbling runs.

Lovren was the biggest culprit when we conceeded the first goal. I couldn't find a long enough video but I want you to have another look at our midfield. Ball watching AGAIN!
Their player is surrounded but none of our players even attempt to make a tackle.

What scares me the most about this season is that our starting midfielders don't have any competition, AT ALL. Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum are pretty much guaranteed a spot in midfield. We have no proper defensive midfielder in the club and that's a fucking tragedy.

Last edited:
Yes Lovren was the main culprit in their first goal, but the whole move leading up to it started with Can deciding not to put in a tackle.

Can was shite tonight, looked like he was trudging through syrup the whole match. this midfield trio does not work when the press isnt on, totally ineffective in the second half once their man sat deep in the middle. wijnaldum brought work rate and surging runs to the party in the first half, not sure what any of the three offered in the second half.

IF Moreno is to play, he HAS to have some cover, a decent side wouldve mauled us down his side tonight.

Lovren was shite, manes first touch seemed off, Salah was lively as was firmino. i like gomez, hes going to be a quality player, agai he got overran and dragged inside too often as he received no cover from that trio in midfield.

Lovren was the biggest culprit when we conceeded the first goal. I couldn't find a long enough video but I want you to have another look at our midfield. Ball watching AGAIN!
Their player is surrounded but none of our players even attempt to make a tackle.

What scares me the most about this season is that our starting midfielders don't have any competition, AT ALL. Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum are pretty much guaranteed a spot in midfield. We have no proper defensive midfielder in the club and that's a fucking tragedy.
One of them will be ousted when Lallana is back, and for all the faults you have with him, he definitely doesn't ball watch

Also can someone teach our defenders to get some height on their headers when were under pressure instead of playing it cute and fucking it up, lovren in particular gave away possession in our half more than a few times with piss poor,weak headers.

A lot of it I'm not convinced is rustiness anymore
I'm very hard on Henderson, more so since he made the move to DM. It's probably not his fault. I bet he wants to play further up the pitch and that's totally OK.
The problem with Henderson is not his running, it's not covering, it's not clearing the ball. It's defensive positioning, awareness in defense and anticipation.
I'd add challenging for the ball as well because it sometimes look like he hesitates when there's a risk of bringing the opponent down.
All that is connected to him not being schooled properly to play in that position.
I bet if we give him Emre Can's freedom to go forward he'd look a whole lot better.

In short I think we're stifling Hendo when we're playing him there.
Remind me, where did he play when we finished second in the league?
Exactly, Gerrard had the deep role, Hendo was more of a CM and everyone raves about his performances in midfield that season. (except me )
Sure, blame injuries, but consider where he's playing as well.

Some of Henderson's passing tonight were no more hopeful or less aimless than when Carra started putting some slice on his hoofs upfield to look more cultured.

At least Carra could defend well enough on his own without always having a teammate babysitting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom