• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool vs Southampton (league, away)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamstrung_pigeon

Well-Known
I love it when we win (well, on aggregate this time anyway) and the next game is just a few days away. Southampton were on a roll in January with 6 clean sheets in a row but stuttered a bit from late February, going three games without a win (2 defeats and a draw) before ending that spell by beating Stoke last week. Sadio Mane was sent off in that game but the red card has since been rescinded. Such a shame, as he's a good player and can trouble us.

I don't think we'll be winning 6-1 again, but we need to win to keep our chances of a CL place via the league route alive, no matter how slim those are, as having two chances is better than one. Hopefully we can carry our buoyant mood into this game and bag a 4th straight league win, which would be our first since this time last year.

The international break comes right after this game. Skrtel was sent off in the recent U21 game against West Ham in extra time, so I think he's ready to return to the squad now having had 2 U21 games under his belt after his injury. Henderson was vomiting at half time against the Mancs, hence his early withdrawal from that game, so he might be a doubt. Assuming he's out and Moreno's still unavailable with the hamstring problem, then we should probably see this:

------------------- Mignolet ----------------
Flanagan -- Lovren -- Sakho -- Clyne
------------- Milner ------ Can ------------
Lallana ---------- Firmino ----- Coutinho
------------------- Sturridge ----------------

subs: Ward, Skrtel, Smith / Stewart, Allen, Ibe, Benteke, Origi

Hopefully some guys will pick up a niggle or two, just enough to miss the international friendlies but not the Spurs game after that. ;)

I think Klopp doesn't see Milner as the CM, Allen is more likely to start if Hendo is unavailable.

Also, I wonder how many mediocre games in a row it would take Sturridge to lose his place to Origi. Origi is in better form at the moment, but this is a sensitive issue, because if Klopp does leave Daniel on the bench when he is fit, that could be the beginning of the end for him.

I think Klopp doesn't see Milner as the CM, Allen is more likely to start if Hendo is unavailable. Also, I wonder how many mediocre games in a row it would take Sturridge to lose his place to Origi.

I'm not sure it's mainly because he doesn't see Milner as a CM. Maybe he isn't his first or second choice, but I think Klopp's decision is swayed by the fact that Milner is currently the only midfielder in the team who is effective playing and staying out wide. Coutinho and Lallana like to cut in and narrow the field of play whereas Milner is the one who can stay wide and stretch the field of play. Ibe's obviously in poor form right now and he's doing neither well, so Milner gets the LM/RM role by default as a result. I take Klopp's references to us lacking wingers as a further indicator of why Milner's being pushed out wide for now.

Cd01zWNWwAEZDZP.jpg

I think Klopp doesn't see Milner as the CM, Allen is more likely to start if Hendo is unavailable.

Also, I wonder how many mediocre games in a row it would take Sturridge to lose his place to Origi. Origi is in better form at the moment, but this is a sensitive issue, because if Klopp does leave Daniel on the bench when he is fit, that could be the beginning of the end for him.

The main advantage Sturridge has over Origi is that he scores goals

The main advantage Sturridge has over Origi is that he scores goals

6 goals this season to Origi's 5, to be precise. To be fair, Daniel played less minutes. But if your star striker has only 1 goal more than a youngster in this first year in the team who spent the first few months looking like a deer in headlights adapting to a new league, then it's a bit of a problem. To be honest, on current form Origi looks just as likely to score as Sturridge, there is not much to choose between them. And Origi's work-rate is far superior.

Sturridge needs games to get match fit and his sharpness in front of goal back.
He clearly isnt quite there yet.

Origi is a great option though, either as a starter or off the bench?

This game will be very tough.

Brazilian journos claiming Firmino has pulled out of the Brazilian squad due to injury. Bruising or something.

Guess he wont play tomorrow

Wanyama, Fonte and Mane return for Southampton, Austin out.

Moreno (hamstring), Milner (suspended) and it's looking like Firmino (knock, bruising or more if you believe Pearce) out.

This game is fucking massive. I reckon if we win we'll get fourth and if we draw or lose we won't. That might sound a bit whatever but coming into the break, if we can be a few points off with a game in hand after the run we've just had and with dicking man u out the europa, we'll have the momentum we need to beat spurs and get over the line. West Ham are gutted and the manc teams are shit. Win tomorrow and we'll finish ahead of all of them.

This game is fucking massive. I reckon if we win we'll get fourth and if we draw or lose we won't. That might sound a bit whatever but coming into the break, if we can be a few points off with a game in hand after the run we've just had and with dicking man u out the europa, we'll have the momentum we need to beat spurs and get over the line. West Ham are gutted and the manc teams are shit. Win tomorrow and we'll finish ahead of all of them.

I hit like but I still think you're being cautiously pessimistic there. See my post from a few minutes before yours: http://www.sixcrazyminutes.com/index.php?threads/leicester-for-the-title.79670/page-9#post-1417070

Still think 4th is utter fantasy but beating Southampton after playing Thurs would be mighty impressive.

tumblr_m9tscwcXTZ1qbvxy3o1_500.gif

Whether we get 4th or not is something else but at least THIS is the attitude we, the fans, should be displaying. Not that crap DB and some others spill out before every game.

We're not gonna be in the top 4 at any point for the rest of the season. We'd have to win 9 of our ten games.

Ming
Clyne Lovren Sakho Flanno
Hendo Can Allen
Lallana Coutinho
Sturridge

I think we need 3 in the centre to avoid being over run by Southamptons midfield. Id swap Flanno in for the absent Moreno at left back and leave the rest of the defence unchanged. I think we hurt them in the Carling Cup by playing by quickly getting the ball in behind their back 4 who like to push forward, we will need Sturrudieg to run the channels and stretch the play if thats going to work again. Both Ibe and Origi had very good games in the 6-1 cup win so I wouldnt be surprised to see them both get some time.

Sanits will be looking for revenge after we tonked them in the league cup.

Will be a tough game, one you have to win if you want 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom