• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool, Wataru upto?

Other than the passes played forward, all of those stats look closely contested which is a pretty telling testament to how well Endo's done and the level he's reached.

That win % of 40 without him for me isn't an accurate reading as it's only based off 5 games but now the Asian cup has come around, we're gonna see on a fairer scale to what degree he'll be missed.

Virgil van Dijk on Wataru Endo: "We know he has the ability to be playing at the highest level and he's shown that the last couple of weeks. He’s made the next step and that goes with confidence. "He's stepped up and we're going to miss him."

His stats are good, but it doesn't show the things you see just by watching us play. He isn't naturally always in the right position when we are without the ball. I'd like to see stats for 'dribbled past' as this happens a lot.

I feel we are misusing his strengths, he is a CM not a DM. Just because he played deeper alongside Caicedo at Brighton doesn't mean he is a DM.

There are times when he will be the better option, e.g. he has space or the opposition leaves gaps (e.g. the opportunity for that pass to Jota in the last game), but the whole midfield unit feels better and more cohesive with him holding.

I'd like to see us trying Endo, Mac & Jones as a midfield trio, that feels it could work very very nicely together.
Don't get me wrong - I love Endo and have been nothing but positive about him even when others on here were writing him off, but there maybe other reasons as to why the team looks more cohesive recently, such as Gomez at LB or the upturn in form of Jones and Konate returning at CB. Multiple factors affecting the whole.

The stats however are indisputable (those I posted above vs Endo are for the season so far, not a one off match, so highly indicative) these aren't padding, but to be fair in most metrics they aren't that far apart, almost identical even : that said Mac's stats (and so likely Endo's too) are amongst the best in the PL (amongst 6s) for recoveries, tackles+interceptions and passes blocked and you don't get those half season figures by often being out of position as some are suggesting. We are lucky to have them both.

I can't explain why people 'see' Endo as better, maybe because they are more focused on him due to the early criticism and so appreciative of his improved form whereas Mac goes under the radar except when he makes a mistake, though if I remember correctly he gets dribbled past twice as much as Endo (twice vs once per match?) so there is that as a more obvious defect. However the stats show them performing almost identically.

The more I see the stats & performances (of both) and see where we are as a team the less inclined I am to believe Klopp will sign another DM to 'free up' Mac from the #6 as some are suggesting.
When the stats show both Mac and Endo out-performing the likes of Rice (I'm discounting Rodri to an extent because City play a 'controlling' game which would naturally reduce his numbers, he's still the best for me), and we have Szobo, Jones, Elliott and Gravy for the other two slots, I'm not sure Klopp will see that area as a position needing to be strengthened.

As for Endo, Mac and Jones as our midfield three, it may indeed work but it shouldn't be our starting three unless Szobo is injured or needs resting. I would love to see Thiago, Szobo and Mac (LM) though before the season ends.

Last edited:
4 kids at 30 though !!! I’m still struggling to wrap my head around this tbh. His wife must be a machine. One every 2 years ?!

Can someone pls explain how does he do it ? I’m struggling, chasing and fighting for time all the time and I don’t have 4 kids. Not even close.

He’s even found time to write a book too on how to be a DM. Not thesis but a book !

Don't get me wrong - I love Endo and have been nothing but positive about him even when others on here were writing him off, but there maybe other reasons as to why the team looks more cohesive recently, such as Gomez at LB or the upturn in form of Jones and Konate returning at CB. Multiple factors affecting the whole.

The stats however are indisputable (those I posted above vs Endo are for the season so far, not a one off match, so highly indicative) these aren't padding, but to be fair in most metrics they aren't that far apart, almost identical even : that said Mac's stats (and so likely Endo's too) are amongst the best in the PL (amongst 6s) for recoveries, tackles+interceptions and passes blocked and you don't get those half season figures by often being out of position as some are suggesting. We are lucky to have them both.

I can't explain why people 'see' Endo as better, maybe because they are more focused on him due to the early criticism and so appreciative of his improved form whereas Mac goes under the radar except when he makes a mistake, though if I remember correctly he gets dribbled past twice as much as Endo (twice vs once per match?) so there is that as a more obvious defect. However the stats show them performing almost identically.

The more I see the stats & performances (of both) and see where we are as a team the less inclined I am to believe Klopp will sign another DM to 'free up' Mac from the #6 as some are suggesting.
When the stats show both Mac and Endo out-performing the likes of Rice (I'm discounting Rodri to an extent because City play a 'controlling' game which would naturally reduce his numbers, he's still the best for me), and we have Szobo, Jones, Elliott and Gravy for the other two slots, I'm not sure Klopp will see that area as a position needing to be strengthened.

As for Endo, Mac and Jones as our midfield three, it may indeed work but it shouldn't be our starting three unless Szobo is injured or needs resting. I would love to see Thiago, Szobo and Mac (LM) though before the season ends.

Agree with pretty much everything you wrote here. Macca does get dribbled past significantly more than Endo, that’s the one element where he is lacking statistically - other defensive stats are on par between them (if you look in all competitions) and Macca’s passing stats are slightly better, with a far stronger creative element. I also think there are other factors in play here and what people attribute to Endo’s superiority to Macca as a DM is perhaps a result of the team as a whole defending better in the last few weeks. But that theory still needs to be proven conclusively - we will know a lot more by mid-February.

It will be interesting where Thiago will play when he comes back. I still think probably LCM alongside Macca/Endo at #6, but who knows what Klopp and Lijnders will come up with.

4 kids at 30 though !!! I’m still struggling to wrap my head around this tbh. His wife must be a machine. One every 2 years ?!

Can someone pls explain how does he do it ? I’m struggling, chasing and fighting for time all the time and I don’t have 4 kids. Not even close.

He’s even found time to write a book too on how to be a DM. Not thesis but a book !
Er.. that’s nothing.
@mark1975 had about 12 by the time he was 30.

He reminds me most of Masher except when he is passing, which he is much better at.

Shooting too. I'm a huge Masher fan and he's still the best ball-winner I've ever seen playing for LFC, but even I have to accept he was a one-trick pony. Endo's starting to show there's more to his game besides the water-carrying.

When he does those quick releases once he wins them back, it's great for our game. But when he dallies on the ball, he struggles. He is not as good or strong at keeping the ball like Gini. That is the one weak point I would say of Endo.

His passing is otherwise really good when he has more time. Those sharp and quick daisy cutters that cuts the lines are underrated. Think the one he passed to Szobo which he arrowed into the net; it's not one-off. He has made many such passes since. I haven't seen many of our players passing like that except maybe Thiago and Trent. They are a great asset.

image.png

Wataru Endo has been voted Liverpool's Standard Chartered Men's Player of the Month for December.
The midfielder claims the prize for the first time after topping a fan poll on Liverpoolfc.com, finishing ahead of Trent Alexander-Arnold and Mohamed Salah in second and third respectively.

The getting dribbled past is a KEY statistic, because when then happens it call pull the entire defense out of shape.

So, I think saying they are about even on everything else is too simplistic.

The getting dribbled past is a KEY statistic, because when then happens it call pull the entire defense out of shape.

Sometimes it can be misleading as Doku vs Trent stats showed.

Thiago will be our new signing this window.

Yeah - I can see it now, Man City roll out Kimmich at our ground and on that same day we roll-out Thiago - its like they have a new signing to scare us, and we have the other dead half of a new signing. yep - what an image.

Because blocks, tackles, interceptions and recoveries are obviously not as important as the ONE extra time per match he's dribbled past (and that stat is covering the whole pitch not just in defence), right? Fuck me.

He's not as good a DM as Masch. Nor is he as in good in charge of the ball.

I get that, he's proving valuable and is probably exceeding expectations. But I don't agree that he's at Masch level. Sorry, no chance.

Agreed but better than Mascher in the air, right?

You would give Endo that?

He's not as good a DM as Masch. Nor is he as in good in charge of the ball.

I get that, he's proving valuable and is probably exceeding expectations. But I don't agree that he's at Masch level. Sorry, no chance.

Agree but he's improving in the Klopp vision of the role rapidly. You never know! Key thing is he's good enough for what we need and seems pretty indestructable

Sorry to raise this, but has anybody looked at the Bundesliga table recently ? - I know this is going to sound shameless, but since like Wataru left VfB Stuttgart , they are currently 3rd in the league at the moment. They did replace him with another DM.

Sorry to raise this, but has anybody looked at the Bundesliga table recently ? - I know this is going to sound shameless, but since like Wataru left VfB Stuttgart , they are currently 3rd in the league at the moment. They did replace him with another DM.
This is going to sound daft but I'm struggling to see what your point is?

This is going to sound daft but I'm struggling to see what your point is?
Well - he was like one of their key players, and now he's gone, the team are like doing really well, what have they done ? - I thought they were like the equivalent of a Bournemouth in that league.

Well - he was like one of their key players, and now he's gone, the team are like doing really well, what have they done ? - I thought they were like the equivalent of a Bournemouth in that league.
Good for them? Why is it any of our business to dig into the reasons why they've done well just because we signed one of their players in the summer? Stuttgart are of no concern to us. The Bundesliga top 4 isn't set every season, there is usually always a surprise team.....last season it was Union Berlin, year before it was Frankfurt, then Wolfsburg, then Gladbach, this season it happens to be Stuttgart. We're also doing really well, that's with Endo playing a big part.

1. New Manager Appt in April
2. Serhou and Deniz who arrived in the summer have improved the outfit immeasurably

TOP GOALSCORERS​

All goalscorers

MOST ASSISTS​

1. New Manager Appt in April
2. Serhou and Deniz who arrived in the summer have improved the outfit immeasurably

TOP GOALSCORERS​

All goalscorers

MOST ASSISTS​

Ok whats happened to that Stiller guys nose ?, I looked at that listing but did not know about the manager changes.

Back
Top Bottom