• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool's Summer Transfers : Speculation & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogfish

Gone to Redcafe
The other Transfer thread comprises of all sorts so keeping this solely for Liverpool.

I'll start this off with links to both our First Team squad (in case we forget anyone - cough Shaq / Clyne) and the Academy (u23 and u18) :

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/first-team

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/academy

What are you happy with and where do we need to support/upgrade? Bear in mind that transfer budget may be limited as we've seen already with our failure to go for Werner.

GKs (4) : I can't see any changes in this area. Alisson, Adrian (I'm guessing he'll stay with all the turmoil), Lonergan and Kelleher. Larius has said he'll return and fight for a slot - I doubt he'll be given the chance so he'll be sold. George to be promoted if Adrian leaves.

FBs (3-4) : AA, Robbo and Neco Williams are all great so it's the LB backup that concerns although I doubt it's a priority for next season with Milner, Gomez and Hoever (RB with AA moving across). High hopes at the club for Lewis too. Has Larouci progressed enough ? Clyne to leave.

CBs (4-5) : VvD, Gomez, Matip and all certs and quality. Hoever is coming along very nicely too. If Lovren leaves then maybe we'll bring in someone but they won't be for the Top 3 CB slots.

Midfielders (8-9) : Fabs, Hendo, Gini, Millie, Keita, Ox, Elliot and Jones will form the core. Shaq & Lallana to leave which leaves a slot for a more experienced mid. Will Grujic return ? I doubt he'll want to after playing most of the season in a first team.

Attack (6) : We won't sell any of Firmino, Mane or Salah regardless of their wishes. Minamoto will of course stay and since Klopp seems to like Origi, and he's happy with his squad position, he'll stay too. I'm guessing Brewster will return to be our 'Werner'. High hopes for Millar and O'Rourke but they are surely nowhere near squad level. Will we keep Woodburn or let him go ?

OUT : Clyne, Lallana, Lovren, Shaqiri, Ejaria, Ojo (or has he gone already, forget if he's on loan or sold), Wilson, Awoniyi, Karius, Grabara, Phillips and maybe Grujic.

It's going to be a very quiet Summer methinks. Maybe one good midfielder and maybe one young CB.

Last edited:
Same as last year, obviously. We need support for the front 3 and another left back.

Is the AFCON taking place? If not then another forward can probably wait until next summer.

But we shouldn't be leaving things too much longer. It's not that young a squad.

I still can't really fathom us missing out on Werner. Are we really that hard up? After everything? He seemed perfect, and cheap.

I have a strong feeling that we'll sign someone from one of the relegated teams.
That's why it's so quiet. We've done it before.
There are several players there who would join and happily sit on the bench.

I'd gladly take Willian. He's not amazing but would be a good replacement for Salah on the RW. Minaminho doesn't look suited there and Chamberlain's all good moments have come from the middle of the park. He may want to finish his career accumulating honors than chasing the huge payoff. We would be at least having that conversation with him.

As for LB, Saka to me looks the top choice, although it much depends on whether he signs a new deal with Arsenal. If we can pick him in January for £15-20M then it would be worth it. He's tall, quick, has great stamina and final ball for his age. With him and Robertson, our LB spot would be set for years.

He'd fit this team remarkably well and would be worth 12 months waiting for if we had to.

Same as last year, obviously. We need support for the front 3 and another left back.

Is the AFCON taking place? If not then another forward can probably wait until next summer.

But we shouldn't be leaving things too much longer. It's not that young a squad.

I still can't really fathom us missing out on Werner. Are we really that hard up? After everything? He seemed perfect, and cheap.
I'm pretty sure the AFCON will be postponed, so we will have to make do with just 4 trophies next season

I'd gladly take Willian. He's not amazing but would be a good replacement for Salah on the RW. Minaminho doesn't look suited there and Chamberlain's all good moments have come from the middle of the park. He may want to finish his career accumulating honors than chasing the huge payoff. We would be at least having that conversation with him.

As for LB, Saka to me looks the top choice, although it much depends on whether he signs a new deal with Arsenal. If we can pick him in January for £15-20M then it would be worth it. He's tall, quick, has great stamina and final ball for his age. With him and Robertson, our LB spot would be set for years.

He'd fit this team remarkably well and would be worth 12 months waiting for if we had to.

I like Saka, but think his future is as a winger rather than a left back. Either way, we should be in for him.

The other Transfer thread comprises of all sorts so keeping this solely for Liverpool.

I'll start this off with links to both our First Team squad (in case we forget anyone - cough Shaq / Clyne) and the Academy (u23 and u18) :

What are you happy with and where do we need to support/upgrade? Bear in mind that transfer budget may be limited as we've seen already with our failure to go for Werner.

GKs (4) : I can't see any changes in this area. Alisson, Adrian (I'm guessing he'll stay with all the turmoil), Lonergan and Kelleher. Larius has said he'll return and fight for a slot - I doubt he'll be given the chance so he'll be sold. George to be promoted if Adrian leaves.

FBs (3-4) : AA, Robbo and Neco Williams are all great so it's the LB backup that concerns although I doubt it's a priority for next season with Milner, Gomez and Hoever (RB with AA moving across). High hopes at the club for Lewis too. Has Larouci progressed enough ? Clyne to leave.

CBs (4-5) : VvD, Gomez, Matip and all certs and quality. Hoever is coming along very nicely too. If Lovren leaves then maybe we'll bring in someone but they won't be for the Top 3 CB slots.

Midfielders (8-9) : Fabs, Hendo, Gini, Millie, Keita, Ox, Elliot and Jones will form the core. Shaq & Lallana to leave which leaves a slot for a more experienced mid. Will Grujic return ? I doubt he'll want to after playing most of the season in a first team.

Attack (6) : We won't sell any of Firmino, Mane or Salah regardless of their wishes. Minamoto will of course stay and since Klopp seems to like Origi, and he's happy with his squad position, he'll stay too. I'm guessing Brewster will return to be our 'Werner'. High hopes for Millar and O'Rourke but they are surely nowhere near squad level. Will we keep Woodburn or let him go ?

OUT : Clyne, Lallana, Lovren, Shaqiri, Ejaria, Ojo (or has he gone already, forget if he's on loan or sold), Wilson, Awoniyi, Karius, Grabara, Phillips and maybe Grujic.

It's going to be a very quiet Summer methinks. Maybe one good midfielder and maybe one young CB.
I totally agree with all of this except the front three...we desperately need cover for Salah/Mane. If one of them is injured there IS a drop off...I would have thought we could have signed Ziyech from Ajax especially as he went to Chelsea for extremely cheap £25m odd... If we can get competition for Mane/Salah I think we will be fine next season, if not then I hope they stay fit and healthy.

I notice that Shaq is training again with the others. I hope he gets a few games, it's a shame that this season has been such a disappointment for him. I still think, if we really aren't bringing players in, that we should keep him, if only he'd sort his midget body out.

Glatzel is back from injury and Klopp rates him so there's another striker.

Also, if we're talking bodies? Yes, we have a pretty full squad except a natural left back as cover for Robbo.

Our backup line up is this:

------------------------Adrian

Neco-----Matip-----------Lovren--------X

---------------------Milner

-------------Keita--------Oxlade

Shaq------------------------------Minamino

-----------------------Origi

We have a shaky second choice keeper. But that position is not a priority imo.

We need a natural left fullback. Neco is still young but he's looked great every time he's played.

I'm OK with our midfield, but we lack something in attack, which isn't great. I like Shaq, I think on his day he's a top class player but his injuries worry me. For me the odd man out is Origi. I just don't think he's consistent. Brewster is too inexperienced and so are Elliott and Jones.

Like I've stated before I'd be happy if we got a decent left fullback.

A quick wing creative wing forward or a striker would be an added bonus.

Last edited:
We have Grujic, Brewster and Wilson all out on loan at the moment who could potentially come back in.

Grujic has the makings of a good player and he has earned great reviews during his tim with Berlin. Hes started 22 games and scored 5 but its been a very patchy season for Hertha who will just about finish in the top half. In my view hes got the potential to go to the next level but if Milner is hanging around for another 12 months he may decide to move on as CM is easily the position we have most depth in.

Wilson has done well at Bournemouth. Scoring 7 goals in his first top flight season for a side thats been struggling to score all year. However its hard to see how or where he would fit into our current squad. If Shaq is moving on then I think he might get his chance, otherwise its the same scenario as Grujic and he may just need to move on for the sake of his career.

Brewster is arguably the hardest one to call. At 20 hes no longer a kid but hes yet to establish himself. 6 goals in 12 games for Swansea is an excellent return since his move in January but given the broken run of games hard for him to settle and make an impression. Impossible to see him getting games ahead of our current front 3 so will almost certainly need to go out on loan again next season, hopefully to a premier league team if he can continue his good run of form in the last 7 games.

We have Grujic, Brewster and Wilson all out on loan at the moment who could potentially come back in.

Grujic has the makings of a good player and he has earned great reviews during his tim with Berlin. Hes started 22 games and scored 5 but its been a very patchy season for Hertha who will just about finish in the top half. In my view hes got the potential to go to the next level but if Milner is hanging around for another 12 months he may decide to move on as CM is easily the position we have most depth in.

Wilson has done well at Bournemouth. Scoring 7 goals in his first top flight season for a side thats been struggling to score all year. However its hard to see how or where he would fit into our current squad. If Shaq is moving on then I think he might get his chance, otherwise its the same scenario as Grujic and he may just need to move on for the sake of his career.

Brewster is arguably the hardest one to call. At 20 hes no longer a kid but hes yet to establish himself. 6 goals in 12 games for Swansea is an excellent return since his move in January but given the broken run of games hard for him to settle and make an impression. Impossible to see him getting games ahead of our current front 3 so will almost certainly need to go out on loan again next season, hopefully to a premier league team if he can continue his good run of form in the last 7 games.
I'm pretty sure Klopp is a big fan of Brewster and the only reason he sent him out on loan was to get more game time than he was going to get at LFC. After he's performed so well at Swansea it will be interesting to see if Klopp now considers he is worthy of a full time squad slot or if he sends him out on another loan.

Personally I'd say we need a solid goalscorer to back up our front three and, besides Origi, we have no-one, therefore I'd definitely keep him with us unless Klopp goes out and buys someone (so back to the question of 'why not Werner' when the price was so good) in which case Brewster wouldn't seem to be in our long-term plans and would be best sold whilst his stock is high.

Anyone seen McGinn play? Could he play left-back and back Robbo up, while also rotate into midfield?

Don't know about left-back (he's left-footed) but, in my view, he is a better option than Grealish from that Villa midfield.

Does backroom signing belong to this thread too? :D

[article]
Arsenal head of physiotherapy Chris Morgan has agreed a return to former club Liverpool.

The Englishman will bring an end to a two-year stay at the Emirates Stadium
at the end of the season in order to rejoin the newly crowned Premier League champions.

Morgan previously spent 10 years on Merseyside, working his way up from the academy to the senior setup during that time.

His departure in June 2016 was followed by stints at the FA and Crystal Palace before a move to the Gunners materialised in 2018.

However, he is now set to make a return to his old stomping ground, replacing Christopher Rohrbeck in the role of first-team physiotherapist.

Morgan was once the subject of lavish praise from Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard, the pair having worked closely together during their time at the club.

Gerrard said: “He was initially the reserve-team physio, doing bits and pieces with the main squad, but Chris was so good at his job that more and more often, I went to him first whenever I felt a niggle or was worried about a more serious problem.

“As the years passed, I learned to trust Chris completely, whether it was during a recovery from injury or him listening to me unburden myself with some of my darker doubts.

“He helped save my career a couple of times.”

Liverpool had previously hoped to also poach club doctor Gary O’Driscoll from Arsenal this summer as a replacement for Andy Massey, who left to join FIFA in March.

Despite initially agreeing to the move, the Irishman ultimately decided to stay in the capital.

However, the urgency of the Reds’ search for a replacement has been eased by academy doctor Jim Moxon’s step up to first-team level.

Moxon has impressed club officials with his handling of the club’s response to coronavirus, and there is no rush to replace him.
[/article]

Set to be sold be the Arse after failing to agree a new contract
STATS 19/20

[xtable]
{thead}
{tr}
{th=colspan:2}Competition{/th}
{th} {/th}
{th} {/th}
{th} {/th}
{th} {/th}
{th} {/th}
{/tr}
{/thead}
{tfoot}
{tr}
{td=colspan:2}Total :{/td}
{td}16{/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td}129{/td}
{td}1.290{/td}
{/tr}
{/tfoot}
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}
gb21.png
{/td}
{td}Premier League 2{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td}120{/td}
{td}1.200{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}
gbfl.png
{/td}
{td}EFL Trophy{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}90{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}
cgb.png
{/td}
{td}EFL Cup{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

I just saw a conversation on Youtube and he is highly rated

Anyone seen McGinn play? Could he play left-back and back Robbo up, while also rotate into midfield?

That's a good shout. It would be like cloning Robbo, which can only be a good thing. Plus is Villa get relegated, we could get him on the cheap.

Luis Muriel is 29 now and has changed teams almost every season – uneven career, but the talent is undeniable. He's now become a super-sub in Atalanta – scored 15 league goals, despite starting only 9 league matches. Another way to look at it is he's scored only 6 out of his 15 goals in the games where he started. In this game, he scored 2 really, really gorgeous goals after coming on in the 52nd minute and overall put on an absolute masterclass.

If what we need to pad our attack is a player who might not have the stamina for a full season as a starter, but enough talent to hold his own against anyone in our front 3 and ability to produce in limited time on the pitch, maybe Muriel could be just that player.

Last edited:
Set to be sold be the Arse after failing to agree a new contract
STATS 19/20

[xtable=skin1]
{thead}
{tr}
{th=colspan:2}Competition{/th}
{th} {/th}
{th} {/th}
{th} {/th}
{th} {/th}
{th} {/th}
{/tr}
{/thead}
{tfoot}
{tr}
{td=colspan:2}Total :{/td}
{td}16{/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td}129{/td}
{td}1.290{/td}
{/tr}
{/tfoot}
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}
gb21.png
{/td}
{td}Premier League 2{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td}120{/td}
{td}1.200{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}
gbfl.png
{/td}
{td}EFL Trophy{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}90{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}
cgb.png
{/td}
{td}EFL Cup{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

I just saw a conversation on Youtube and he is highly rated

Scoring 120 goals in 4 games is pretty impressive

If we sign another attacker, maybe an experienced striker or winger to complement Salah/Mane, then I would look at letting Origi go – he is at an age where he needs to start regularly to fulfill his potential and we could get good money for him. In that case, bringing Brewster back would make a lot of sense – he needs to feel he's part of this Liverpool team after being on the sidelines for so long and to absorb Klopp's coaching.

Sadly I don't see a place for Wilson in this team even though I'm fan and I'm leaning towards the same conclusion with Grujic. We might be better off selling both.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom