1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Liverpool's Summer Transfers : Speculation & Rumours

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by Frogfish, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

The other Transfer thread comprises of all sorts so keeping this solely for Liverpool.

I'll start this off with links to both our First Team squad (in case we forget anyone - cough Shaq / Clyne) and the Academy (u23 and u18) :

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/first-team

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/academy

What are you happy with and where do we need to support/upgrade? Bear in mind that transfer budget may be limited as we've seen already with our failure to go for Werner.

GKs (4) : I can't see any changes in this area. Alisson, Adrian (I'm guessing he'll stay with all the turmoil), Lonergan and Kelleher. Larius has said he'll return and fight for a slot - I doubt he'll be given the chance so he'll be sold. George to be promoted if Adrian leaves.

FBs (3-4) : AA, Robbo and Neco Williams are all great so it's the LB backup that concerns although I doubt it's a priority for next season with Milner, Gomez and Hoever (RB with AA moving across). High hopes at the club for Lewis too. Has Larouci progressed enough ? Clyne to leave.

CBs (4-5) : VvD, Gomez, Matip and all certs and quality. Hoever is coming along very nicely too. If Lovren leaves then maybe we'll bring in someone but they won't be for the Top 3 CB slots.

Midfielders (8-9) : Fabs, Hendo, Gini, Millie, Keita, Ox, Elliot and Jones will form the core. Shaq & Lallana to leave which leaves a slot for a more experienced mid. Will Grujic return ? I doubt he'll want to after playing most of the season in a first team.

Attack (6) : We won't sell any of Firmino, Mane or Salah regardless of their wishes. Minamoto will of course stay and since Klopp seems to like Origi, and he's happy with his squad position, he'll stay too. I'm guessing Brewster will return to be our 'Werner'. High hopes for Millar and O'Rourke but they are surely nowhere near squad level. Will we keep Woodburn or let him go ?

OUT :  Clyne, Lallana, Lovren, Shaqiri, Ejaria, Ojo (or has he gone already, forget if he's on loan or sold), Wilson, Awoniyi, Karius, Grabara, Phillips and maybe Grujic.

It's going to be a very quiet Summer methinks. Maybe one good midfielder and maybe one young CB.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Modo likes this.
  2. The Nomad

The Nomad Well-Known Member

George has been released I believe.

refugee likes this.
  3. SummerOnions

SummerOnions Let's Push Things Forward Member

Imo Shaqiri and Origi will both stay unless a good offer comes in

4. peterhague

peterhague Very Well-Known Member

Same as last year, obviously. We need support for the front 3 and another left back.

Is the AFCON taking place? If not then another forward can probably wait until next summer.

But we shouldn't be leaving things too much longer. It's not that young a squad.

I still can't really fathom us missing out on Werner. Are we really that hard up? After everything? He seemed perfect, and cheap.

Frogfish likes this.
  5. Modo

Modo A contentious scando Member

I have a strong feeling that we'll sign someone from one of the relegated teams.
    That's why it's so quiet. We've done it before.
    There are several players there who would join and happily sit on the bench.

6. Dreambeliever

Dreambeliever Looking on the brightside Member

Isn’t Willian a slam dunk?

would be a great addition

7. Modo

High wages

8. Squiggles

Squiggles Very Well-Known Member

I'd gladly take Willian. He's not amazing but would be a good replacement for Salah on the RW. Minaminho doesn't look suited there and Chamberlain's all good moments have come from the middle of the park. He may want to finish his career accumulating honors than chasing the huge payoff. We would be at least having that conversation with him.

As for LB, Saka to me looks the top choice, although it much depends on whether he signs a new deal with Arsenal. If we can pick him in January for £15-20M then it would be worth it. He's tall, quick, has great stamina and final ball for his age. With him and Robertson, our LB spot would be set for years.

He'd fit this team remarkably well and would be worth 12 months waiting for if we had to.

RedStar and rurikbird like this.
  9. tombrown

tombrown Very Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the AFCON will be postponed, so we will have to make do with just 4 trophies next season

10. Halmeister

Halmeister Some sort of pun about having a well known member Member

I like Saka, but think his future is as a winger rather than a left back. Either way, we should be in for him.

11. Buddha

Buddha Well-Known Member

For the love of God can we please look for a new back up keeper?

Modo likes this.
  12. Halmeister

Halmeister Some sort of pun about having a well known member Member

Karius is coming back. Sorted.

SaRed, Modo, peekay and 1 other person like this.
  13. mwake

mwake Very Active Member

I totally agree with all of this except the front three...we desperately need cover for Salah/Mane. If one of them is injured there IS a drop off...I would have thought we could have signed Ziyech from Ajax especially as he went to Chelsea for extremely cheap £25m odd... If we can get competition for Mane/Salah I think we will be fine next season, if not then I hope they stay fit and healthy.

14. gkmacca

gkmacca SCM Addict Member

I notice that Shaq is training again with the others. I hope he gets a few games, it's a shame that this season has been such a disappointment for him. I still think, if we really aren't bringing players in, that we should keep him, if only he'd sort his midget body out.

15. JurgenKlopp

JurgenKlopp Very Active Member

Mbappe and  Sancho will soon be whisked away in the silver Merc van for their medicals :)

16. Dreambeliever

Dreambeliever Looking on the brightside Member

Worth it.

17. Modo

Apparently he's on our radar:

18. Modo

Glatzel is back from injury and Klopp rates him so there's another striker.

Also, if we're talking bodies? Yes, we have a pretty full squad except a natural left back as cover for Robbo.

Our backup line up is this:

------------------------Adrian

Neco-----Matip-----------Lovren--------X

---------------------Milner

-------------Keita--------Oxlade

Shaq------------------------------Minamino

-----------------------Origi

We have a shaky second choice keeper. But that position is not a priority imo.

We need a natural left fullback. Neco is still young but he's looked great every time he's played.

I'm OK with our midfield, but we lack something in attack, which isn't great. I like Shaq, I think on his day he's a top class player but his injuries worry me. For me the odd man out is Origi. I just don't think he's consistent. Brewster is too inexperienced and so are Elliott and Jones.

Like I've stated before I'd be happy if we got a decent left fullback.

A quick wing creative wing forward or a striker would be an added bonus.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  19. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

We have Grujic, Brewster and Wilson all out on loan at the moment who could potentially come back in.

Grujic has the makings of a good player and he has earned great reviews during his tim with Berlin. Hes started 22 games and scored 5 but its been a very patchy season for Hertha who will just about finish in the top half. In my view hes got the potential to go to the next level but if Milner is hanging around for another 12 months he may decide to move on as CM is easily the position we have most depth in.

Wilson has done well at Bournemouth. Scoring 7 goals in his first top flight season for a side thats been struggling to score all year. However its hard to see how or where he would fit into our current squad. If Shaq is moving on then I think he might get his chance, otherwise its the same scenario as Grujic and he may just need to move on for the sake of his career.

Brewster is arguably the hardest one to call. At 20 hes no longer a kid but hes yet to establish himself. 6 goals in 12 games for Swansea is an excellent return since his move in January but given the broken run of games hard for him to settle and make an impression. Impossible to see him getting games ahead of our current front 3 so will almost certainly need to go out on loan again next season, hopefully to a premier league team if he can continue his good run of form in the last 7 games.

20. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

I'm pretty sure Klopp is a big fan of Brewster and the only reason he sent him out on loan was to get more game time than he was going to get at LFC. After he's performed so well at Swansea it will be interesting to see if Klopp now considers he is worthy of a full time squad slot or if he sends him out on another loan.

Personally I'd say we need a solid goalscorer to back up our front three and, besides Origi, we have no-one, therefore I'd definitely keep him with us unless Klopp goes out and buys someone (so back to the question of 'why not Werner' when the price was so good) in which case Brewster wouldn't seem to be in our long-term plans and would be best sold whilst his stock is high.