• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Loan Watch 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Binny

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
This season's version to @the count's thread last season.

• Danny Ward
Loan signings Elias Kachunga and Kasey Palmer scored cracking debut goals as Huddersfield Town won their first home opening-day match in 10 seasons, beating Brentford 2-1 in front of 18,479 - Town's biggest opening-day crowd for 46 years.
[article]Huddersfield Town(4-2-3-1):
Danny Ward; Chris Löwe, Christopher Schindler, Mark Hudson (c), Tommy Smith; Aaron Mooy, Jonathan Hogg; Rajiv van La Parra, Jack Payne (Kasey Palmer, 78) Joe Lolley (Ivan Paurević, 85); Elias Kachunga (Sean Scannell, 65) [/article]

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/huddersfield-town-2-brentford-1-11712696?
[article]Granted, with hindsight Brentford offered very little as an attacking outlet without long-term injury casualty Alan Judge but, even so, a repeat of the 5-1 humiliation the Terriers suffered at the end of May was never on the cards.

The outlay on 12 recruits in the summer focused predominantly on the defensive aspects of Town’s team and record-signing Christopher Schindler looked assured alongside fellow new boy Chris Lowe in Huddersfield’s backline.

With those two part of a reinvigorated back-four, Wales international goalkeeper Danny Ward was never really troubled but when he was called upon he looked similarly assured.[/article]

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/who-s-made-yorkshire-s-team-of-the-weekend-1-8057549?
[article]Yorkshire’s team of the weekend
1: Danny Ward (Huddersfield Town). Did not have to pull off save after save, but what he did, he did pretty well. Looked comfortable and assured and made a few decent blocks. Looks to have top-flight attributes.[/article]

• Ryan Kent (started on left flank)
Grant Ward, a £600,000 signing from Tottenham, scored with his first touch just 39 seconds after coming on before going on to grab a hat-trick to hand Ipswich a 4-2 victory against Barnsley.
[article]Barnsley (4-4-2):
Davies, Yiadom, Roberts, Mawson, White, Hammill, Scowen, Hourihane, Kent (Payne 73), Bradshaw (Moncur 73), Winnall (Watkins, 4). Subs not used: Townsend, Nyatanga, Lee, Bree.[/article]
  • Lloyd Jones
Not eligible to play for Swindon Town against Coventry City in their season opener.

SWINDON Town snatched a late winner to get their season off to the perfect start with a 1-0 win over Coventry. Iraqi international Yaser Kasim, marked his 100th appearance with the club with an 87th minute winner.Having ridden their luck in the first half, Town dominated the second period and got their reward when Kasim tried his luck from the edge of the box and wheeled away with delight as it nestled into the bottom corner.

• Adam Bogdan
Bristol City staged a superb second-half fightback to defeat Wigan Athletic 2-1 and make the perfect start to the new Championship season.Trailing to Alex Gilbey's excellent 32nd minute strike, the Robins were second best for much of the first half.But they improved dramatically after the break and head coach Lee Johnson's substitutions turned the game as new arrivals Tammy Abraham and Bobby Reid scored within the space of nine minutes to secure a dramatic turnaround in fortunes.
[article]Latics: Bogdan, Buxton, Perkins, Power, Gilbey, Grigg (Jacobs 70), Morgan (Capt), Warnock, Burke (Daniels 77), Wildschut (Colclough 85), Burn
Unused Subs: Jaaskelainen, Morsy, Chow, Barrigan[/article]

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-athletic/latics-news/bristol-city-2-wigan-athletic-1-1-8054861
[article]The home side would have felt slightly aggrieved to have been behind at the halfway mark, and they threw everything at Latics at the start of the second stanza. Kodjia got the better of Morgan only for the Latics skipper to get a timely block in at the expense of a corner. From the resultant corner, Luke Burke on debut did ever so well to head it away under immense pressure. Another set-piece was half-cleared to Hordur Magnusson, and the defender’s shot was only just wide with Bogdan at full stretch.

Kodjia dragged another shot wide just before the hour mark, with Joe Bryan then turning Burke inside out only to see his effort tipped wide by Bogdan.

Wigan counters were becoming less and less frequent but, from one, twinkle-toes from Wildschut saw him beat two men, only for him to be dispossessed in the act of shooting. Grigg gave way to Michael Jacobs with 20 minutes to go, with Donervon Daniels also taking over from Burke, who’d enjoyed an impressive introduction to the big time.

Latics were hanging on more and more, and Burn and Perkins were booked within the space of a minute as the home side raised the ante further. And it was no surprise when City did eventually find a leveller, with nine minutes left on the clock. The corner came in from the left, and England Under-19 striker Abraham - signed on loan on Friday morning from Chelsea - forced it home from close range, with Bogdan having no chance.

Kodjia was looking dangerous every time he got the ball, and Latics were desperately hanging on at this point for a draw. But the defence cracked again in the very last minute, and it was no more than City had deserved.

The home side had half a shout for a penalty waved away for a trip in the area, but play continued and Bogdan needed to make a stunning save to keep Latics level. However, the ball fell invitingly for City, with Reid left celebrating after his effort looped agonisingly into the net with Bogdan helpless.[/article]

Last edited:
  • Ryan Fulton
Ched Evans scored on debut for Chesterfield as they came from a half-time deficit to claim a 1-1 draw away at Oxford United

[article]Chesterfield: Fulton (gk) - Donohue, Evatt, Raglan, McGinn - Gardner (Simons 67'), Liddle (c), Nolan, Ariyibi - O'Shea, Evans (Dennis 88')
Subs not used: Allinson (gk), Mitchell, Diimaio, Maguire, Daly [/article]

[article]Wes Thomas gave the hosts a half-time lead when he tapped home after a Ryan Fulton parry, Evans equalising for the visitors after 76 minutes with a rasping low free kick from distance to secure a hard-earned point.

The Spireites had a real let-off when Taylor was through inside the area, only to be let down by a weak effort which was easily gathered by Fulton.

The opening goal came in the 31st minute when Alex MacDonald’s angled shot was parried by Fulton and the loose ball fell to the lurking Thomas had the simple task of firing into the empty net.

The lively Thomas threatened inside the area, holding off a couple of challenges before firing in a low shot which was saved by Fulton.

Roberts got a shot on target from inside the area, but the effort lacked the pace and direction to trouble Fulton, who made an easy save.[article][/article][/article]

@King Binny
I am sure you will do a much better job than I did mate.
Hopefully there will be more contribution in the vein of @Actonian reporting on Canos at Brentfort last season.

Barnsley 1-2 Northampton Town (AET)
First Round of the EFL Cup

[article]Barnsley: Davies (GK), Bree (Yiadom 90), Roberts, Mawson, White, Hammill, Scowen, Hourihane (c), Moncur (Kent 41), Bradshaw (Payne 82), Watkins
Subs: Townsend (GK), Kent, MacDonald, Lee, Payne, Yiadom, Tuton[/article]

[article]Ryan Kent came off from the bench and made an immediate impact on 62 minutes. The on-loan winger picked up the ball on the right, cut inside to feed Watkins who had a clear shot at goal, but his left footed shot was well saved by the keeper.
... ...
The Reds looked most likely to score as we headed towards extra time, with substitutes Payne and Kent asking questions of the back four. The Reds threw everything at Northampton in injury time with Roberts going close from another Hammill corner, but it just wouldn’t fall for the Reds and the referee blew for full time and 30 minutes extra time would follow.
... ...
Ten minutes into extra time, Watkins was causing more problems and fed Ryan Kent who raced through on goal but Smith came out expertly to smother the ball and clear the danger.[/article]

Rochdale 3-1 Chesterfield
First Round of the EFL Cup

[article]Chesterfield: Fulton (gk) - Donohue, Evatt (Raglan 58'), Hird, McGinn - Mitchell (Morrison 63'), Liddle (c), Dimaio, Ariyibi - O'Shea (Simons 71'), Evans
Subs not used: Allinson (gk), Dennis, Daly, Graham[/article]

[article]Raglan’s clearance went straight back to Rochdale who attacked once more, Henderson picked up the ball on the edge of the area and hit it at Fulton who parried in front of him.
... ...
Running onto a long ball from Fulton, Evans looked up, took a touch and attempted to flick it above the ‘keeper who stretched to tip it over the cross-bar.
... ...
Rochdale stretched their lead in the 76th minute when Andrew’s low driven cross went past Fulton and was slid home from close-range by substitute Mendez-Liang.[/article]

Ryan Kent

[article]Barnsley 2-0 Derby County

Reds: Davies (GK), Bree, Roberts, Mawson, White, Hammill, Scowen, Hourihane (c), Kent, Bradshaw, Watkins
Subs: Townsend (GK), Yiadom, MacDonald, Moncur, Lee, D'Almeida, Payne

Attendance: 15,049[/article]

reds-vs-derby-4x376-3245304_613x460.jpg

[article]The on-loan winger spoke to the press following an electrifying performance on the wing, which helped the Reds to their first three points of the 2016/17 season against Derby at Oakwell today.

Kent made his first start of the season at Oakwell and was a persistent threat down the right wing, causing the Rams numerous problems all game. Kent felt that it was a great team performance all round.

“It was a great performance by the boys, they showed a lot of determination to get two goals and not concede, so we’re really happy with the three points. We’ll take it into Wednesday’s game against QPR.”

The Rams are one of the bookies favourites for promotion this season and Kent feels that the win is testament to the belief of the squad, and the hard work that they have put in throughout the summer.

“It was a really difficult game today, they tested us a lot defensively and it was a very physical game, very demanding but the boys battled through, managed to get two goals and see the game out. The boys have had a hard pre-season wherever they have been, so we’re physically prepared for these games, this is what we work for in training and tactically we were better.”

Kent showed great imagination and had the determination to get forward and test the Derby defence all game, and was inches from opening his account for the Reds after his long range effort cracked the post. The winger feels it is just a matter of time until he hits the net.

“Yeah I was a bit gutted about that but hopefully the goals will come in the end. The defence are doing everything to prevent goals and it’s up to us, the attacking players, to get forward, create chances and get goals.”

Kent was clearly relieved to get the first win on the board and felt that the win is thoroughly deserved after the team's recent performances.

“We were disappointed with the result last week against Ipswich, especially in the first half I thought we were the better team, we had a lot of opportunities, and I thought we should have come away with at least one point. So to get three points today made up for last week’s disappointment.”[/article]

[article]Conor Hourihane set the ball rolling in the first half with a powerful effort from the edge of the box after good work from Kent to set him up. The Reds Captain’s left-footed drive rebounded off the post, hit the stranded Carson on the back and went over the line.
... ...
It was the wingers in Barnsley shirts that were causing instant problems for Derby’s defence. Supported by James Bree and Aidy White from full-back, Adam Hammill and Ryan Kent were getting forward at every given opportunity.
... ...
It took just 10 minutes for the Reds to open their Oakwell scoring for the season. After White glided past Derby’s midfield, he crossed to the back post where Kent picked the ball up, beat his man with some skill and laid it to the edge of the box where Hourihane smashed at goal, which hit the post but rebounded in off the back of Carson.
... ...
As the game was starting to get stretched, Kent was causing problems for the Reds. He ran forward and cut inside on no less than three occasions, and all his shots were on target but Carson wasn’t beaten.
... ...
[/article]

Ryan Fulton

[article]Chesterfield 3-1 Swindon Town

Chesterfield: Fulton (gk) - Donohue, Hird, Evatt, McGinn - Gardner (Jones 73'), Liddle (c), Nolan Ariyibi - O'Shea (Mitchell 82'), Evans (Dennis 90')
Subs not used: Allinson (gk), Raglan, Dimaio, Simons

Attendance: 5,378, (378 away fans)[/article]

[article]Swindon’s first real chance of game fell to Luke Norris, the ball was played across the area but the striker’s weak shot ended up in the hands of Ryan Fulton.
... ...
Buoyed by a half-time team talk, Swindon came out in search of a much-needed goal, but their cross was weak and Fulton charged out to catch.
... ...
Suddenly in search of what would be an unlikely injury-time comeback, Swindon won a freekick on the edge of the area, Doughty took but it was save by the fingertips of Fulton. [/article]

Danny Ward

[article]Newcastle 1-2 Huddersfield

Huddersfield: Danny Ward; Chris Löwe, Christopher Schindler, Mark Hudson (c), Tommy Smith; Rajiv van La Parra (Sean Scannell, 71), Jonathan Hogg, Aaron Mooy, Joe Lolley (Jack Payne, 81); Nahki Wells (Kasey Palmer, 64), Elias Kachunga

Unused subs:Joel Coleman, Martin Cranie, Jon Gorenc Stanković, Michael Hefele [/article]

[article]Mark Hudson – excellent on his 450th career appearance – and Danny Ward left a diagonal ball from Daryl Janmaat to each other, allowing Gayle to nip in. Fortunately, he headed the chance wide of target.
... ...
Shelvey’s set piece ability caused an issue on 17 minutes when he found centre back Chancel Mbemba at the back post, whose header forced a good diving save from Danny Ward. From the resulting corner, midfielder Isaac Hayden headed over.
... ...
Ward was at it again on 22 minutes, getting down well to his left side to save Shelvey’s low free kick from the edge of the D on the Town penalty area.
... ...
Ward almost became the hero after diving right to stop Dwight Gayle’s penalty – but the rebound fell straight to the striker, who nodded into the empty net.
... ...
Newcastle failed to properly test Ward in the four minutes of added time, allowing for some fantastic celebrations between the 3,200 away fans and players on the pitch after the final whistle. [/article]

Cp490erXEAE33PF.jpg

Last edited:
Jack Dunn

[article]Morecambe’s Liverpool loanee Jack Dunn has thanked everyone at the club for helping him to settle in quickly and show what he can do.

The youngster hit a hat-trick in last week’s League Cup win at Rotherham United, followed by the equaliser in Saturday’s 2-1 victory over Blackpool.

Dunn’s six-month move was announced within an hour of his starring role in helping a Liverpool XI beat the Shrimps in their final pre-season outing.

“It was a bit weird,” he acknowledged. It was a good game, one that let me know what the lads are like, what the system was about and what I could expect. “It’s lovely; I’ve really 
enjoyed it so far because the lads have welcomed me. “It hasn’t been difficult to settle in; if anything it feels like I’ve been here for a long time because of the way everyone has been with me.”

Following his midweek hat-trick, which saw him named in the team of the week for round one, Dunn again stepped up when needed on Saturday. With half-time approaching and the Shrimps trailing, he kept his cool to level from the spot after Tom Barkhuizen was tripped.

“I never doubted myself at all and that’s every time I step up,” he said. “I’ll always do it, I’ll never shy away from the responsibility. “It’s been a good week for me and one which I’ve really enjoyed but, as a team, the lads have got to recover for the games ahead.”

Dunn’s penalty and Michael Rose’s second-half strike turned around a game in which Morecambe were second best for much of the first half.

Beating a Blackpool side looking for an immediate return to League One was a welcome boost following the opening day defeat at Grimsby Town. “It was a tough game because we knew they were going to be strong favourites in this league,” Dunn said. “However, we went out with a game plan and we showed we were the fitter team. “Our team is a fit one and we showed we aren’t going to fade; when it got to the end of the of the game, I think that’s when we got stronger.”[/article]

Ryan Fulton
20160813-swindon-067746-3246382_613x460.jpg

• 20 Aug, Shrewsbury 2-1 Chesterfield
[article]Chesterfield: Fulton (gk) - Donohue, Evatt, Hird, McGinn - Gardner (Morrison 87'), Liddle (c), Nolan, Ariyibi - O'Shea, Evans
Subs not used: Allinson (gk), Raglan, Dimaio, Dennis, Simons, Maguire

Goals:
Shrewsbury Town: Brown 25', El-Abd 84'
Chesterfield: O'Shea 14'

Attendance: 4,936 (556 away fans)[/article]
[article]Spireites 'keeper Ryan Fulton knows his side need to show more of a cutting edge if they're to turn good performances into good results following the loss at Shrewsbury.

Jay O'Shea had given the visitors the lead in blustery conditions at the New Meadow, but two similar headed goals from corners saw the Shrews come back to claim a late 2-1 win.

The Spireites had dominated much of the game, but despite eight shots on target and ten corners were unable to turn their pressure into goals.

"I think we were the better team, in the second half especially," said Fulton "We had plenty of chances but we needed to get on the end of them and be ruthless.

"As a team you need to defend set-pieces and do the same at the other end with scoring them, that will win and lose us matches so it's something to work on in training.

"The wind played a part in the game, but we've got to do our job, me especially. You've go to keep your eye on the ball, keep focused. You can't change the weather so it's something you have to deal with."

Four League One games into his Chesterfield career and Fulton feels he is still developing, and enjoying the tutoring of his latest goalkeeper coach.

"I'm still learning lots, it's a different league, different players and different styles. We played Swindon who just keep playing the ball, while Shrewsbury were a bit different, they didn't try and play much it was just the longer stuff.

"Matt Duke's taught me a lot, he's been a round the game and he has his own way of doing things in training. He helps me a lot - now the main thing is to keep the ball out of the net and however you do that, it doesn't really matter.

"I'm still learning plenty and I'll keep learning all the time I'm here."[/article]

Jack Dunn
  • 24 Aug, Morecambe 1-2 Bournemouth
[article]Morecambe: Roche, Wakefield, Edwards, Conlan, Fleming, Rose (capt), Barkhuizen, Dunn (Mullin 80), Molyneux (Ellison 73), Stockton (Turner 80). Subs not used: Nizic, McGowan, Kenyon, Hedley. [/article]
[article]... ...
Just before half-time Jack Dunn pulled the ball back to Fleming who shot just over the goal.
... ...
Morecambe came close again just a few moments later through Jack Dunn who lashed a long-range effort just wide of the goal.
... ...[/article]

Adam Bodgan
  • 20 Aug, Nottingham Forest 4-3 Wigan
[article]Wigan: Bogdan, Power, Gilbey (Davies 81'), Grigg, MacDonald (Powell 64'), Jacobs, Garbutt, Morgan (c), Warnock, Wildschut (Burke 64'), Burn
Subs not used: Jaaskelainen, Gomez, Flores, Colclough

Attendance: 17,750 (980 away)
[/article]
[article]Ben Osborn lofted a ball into the penalty and Vellios, in one motion, swivelled and struck the ball towards goal but an instinctive save from Bogdan turned it behind for a corner.

Forest were in again soon after as Burke sprinted past his man and went for goal. Osborn had raced forward in support but the winger decided to shoot himself and saw Bogdan in the way once more as the Wigan stopper palmed the ball away.
... ...
Montanier's side were now firmly in the ascendancy and had the chance to make it 3-1 from the penalty spot soon after. Craig Morgan brought down Cohen inside the box but Bogdan was able to push Vellios' penalty away by getting down to his left-hand side.
... ...
[/article]

Last edited:
Danny Ward, Ryan Kent
  • 20 Aug, Huddersfield 2-1 Barnsley
[article]Huddersfield: Ward (GK), Smith, Whitehead, Hudson, Scannell, Kachunga, Mooy, Löwe, Van La Parra, Wells, Schindler
Subs: Coleman (GK), Hogg, Bunn, Cranie, Payne, Hefele, Palmer

Barnsley: Davies (GK), Bree, Roberts, Mawson, White, Hammill, Scowen, Hourihane (c), Kent, Bradshaw, Watkins
Subs: Townsend (GK), Yiadom, MacDonald, Moncur, Lee, D'Almeida, Payne[/article]

[article]The Reds then had their biggest chance of the first half in an opening spell they had very much been the better side in. Adam Hammill danced his way through midfield, avoiding three challenges on the way. He was eventually taken down but the ball broke free to Kent, who fired over the bar inside the box.
... ...
Just before half-time, the Reds responded with a spell of pressure of their own. Danny Ward in the Huddersfield net managed to tip behind a deep cross from Hourihane, before again the Huddersfield number one claimed a Roberts throw under pressure to keep the home-side in front at the break.
... ...
Danny Ward was then called into action again as he saved superbly to deny the tricky Ryan Kent this time after he hit a powerful shot..
... ...[/article]

Danny Ward

[article]Newcastle 1-2 Huddersfield

Huddersfield: Danny Ward; Chris Löwe, Christopher Schindler, Mark Hudson (c), Tommy Smith; Rajiv van La Parra (Sean Scannell, 71), Jonathan Hogg, Aaron Mooy, Joe Lolley (Jack Payne, 81); Nahki Wells (Kasey Palmer, 64), Elias Kachunga

Unused subs:Joel Coleman, Martin Cranie, Jon Gorenc Stanković, Michael Hefele [/article]

[article]Mark Hudson – excellent on his 450th career appearance – and Danny Ward left a diagonal ball from Daryl Janmaat to each other, allowing Gayle to nip in. Fortunately, he headed the chance wide of target.
... ...
Shelvey’s set piece ability caused an issue on 17 minutes when he found centre back Chancel Mbemba at the back post, whose header forced a good diving save from Danny Ward. From the resulting corner, midfielder Isaac Hayden headed over.
... ...
Ward was at it again on 22 minutes, getting down well to his left side to save Shelvey’s low free kick from the edge of the D on the Town penalty area.
... ...
Ward almost became the hero after diving right to stop Dwight Gayle’s penalty – but the rebound fell straight to the striker, who nodded into the empty net.
... ...
Newcastle failed to properly test Ward in the four minutes of added time, allowing for some fantastic celebrations between the 3,200 away fans and players on the pitch after the final whistle. [/article]

Cp490erXEAE33PF.jpg

Good to see Caulker didn't get completely ruined by his loan to us!

Ryan Kent
[article]27 Aug, Barnsley 4-0 Rotherham

Barnsley: Davies (GK), Yiadom, Roberts, MacDonald, White, Hammill, Scowen, Hourihane (c), Kent, Winnall, Watkins
Subs: Townsend (GK), Moncur, Lee, Evans, Payne, Tuton, Bradshaw

Attendance: 15,293[/article]

[article]A stunning second half which saw four superb goals gives the Reds a South-Yorkshire derby win!

Goals from Roberts, Hammill, Bradshaw and Kent send Oakwell wild!

After a goalless first half, Marc Roberts prodded the Reds ahead nine minutes into the second following a goalmouth scramble, then Adam Hammill’s deflected strike made it 2-0 three minutes later.

Adam Davies enjoyed a relatively stress free afternoon but was called into action to deny Jon Taylor’s low effort on target.

Conor Hourihane and Ryan Kent both forced good saves from Lee Camp before substitute Tom Bradshaw’s looping header and Kent’s 20-yard strike completed the rout four minutes from time.

Victory moves the Reds into third place in the EFL Sky Bet Championship table and means they have not lost a league game at Fortress Oakwell since April 9.
... ...
Ryan Kent and Hourihane then tested Camp in quick succession. First, the winger forced the keeper to tip his curling effort away before Hourihane bent the ball into his arms from the edge of the box.
... ...
And the 15,293 fans inside Oakwell were rocking again in second half stoppage time as Liverpool loanee Kent charged forward from midfield, before curling a scintillating effort into the top corner of the goal.[/article]

Ryan Fulton
[article]27 Aug, Chesterfield 1-3 Millwall
Chesterfield: Fulton (gk) - Donohue, Evatt, Hird, McGinn - Gardner (Mitchell 52'), Liddle (c), Nolan, Ariyibi - O'Shea (Dennis 59'), Evans
Subs not used: Allinson (gk), Raglan, Dimaio, Simons, Daly

Goals:
Chesterfield: Hird 66'
Millwall: Ferguson 13', Morison 38' 41'

Attendance: 5,630 (489 away fans)[/article]
[article]It was Millwall who scored the opening goal in the 13th minute when, following a good build-up on the right, the ball was played to Shane Ferguson who drilled a low shot from the edge of the area beyond Ryan Fulton.
... ...
As Millwall continued to press, David Worrall headed wide at the far post and Morison saw his shot comfortably saved by Fulton.
... ...
Morison struck again three minutes later, beating Ian Evatt to a long ball and expertly lobbing the onrushing Fulton from 30 yards out.
... ...[/article]

Jack Dunn
[article]27 Aug, Accrington 2-3 Morecambe

Morecambe: Roche, Wakefield, Edwards, Whitmore, Conlan, Fleming (Kenyon 75), Rose, Barkhuizen, Dunn (Molyneux 75), Stockton (Turner 81), Ellison. Subs not used: Nizic, McGowan, Mullin, Hedley.

Att: 1,763.[/article]

Danny Ward
[article]27 Aug, Huddersfield 1-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Town line-up (4-2-3-1): Danny Ward; Chris Löwe, Christopher Schindler, Mark Hudson (c), Tommy Smith; Aaron Mooy, Jonathan Hogg; Rajiv van La Parra (Sean Scannell 88’), Kasey Palmer (Jack Payne 57’), Elias Kachunga; Nahki Wells (Harry Bunn 61’)

Unused subs: Joel Coleman, Dean Whitehead, Martin Cranie, Michael Hefele[/article]

[article]... ...
With ex-Terrier Coady firing wide early on, as well as full back Doherty who had a couple of chances saved by Danny Ward.
... ...
Danny Ward arguably pulled off the save of the season to deny Wolves and equaliser. Price’s corner was met by an unmarked Bodvarsson who head towards goal from five yards out, but Ward pulled off a remarkable save to deny the Icelandic international.
... ...[/article]
1st clean sheet after 5 league appearances (4 wins, 1 draw).

Highlights (saves at 0:47 and 1:37 min):

Interview:

Lloyd Jones
[article]20 Aug, Swindon Town 1-0 Port Vale
SWINDON TOWN: Vigouroux, Sendles-White, Thompson, Jones, Barry, Brophy (Furlong 70’), Doughty, Rodgers (Thomas 65’), Kasim, Delfouneso (Stewart 74’), Norris

Unused subs: Henry, Goddard, Iandolo, Hylton[/article]
[article]Swindon manager Luke Williams named debutant Nathan Delfouneso in his starting line up and there were recalls for Lloyd Jones, Luke Norris and Yaser Kasim against Vale who arrived unbeaten in League One this season.
... ...
Vale’s Sam Foley tried his luck with a lobbed effort in the 20th minute which flew harmlessly over the crossbar. Five minutes later Lloyd Jones fired in a nice curling effort from 25 yards which only just went over the bar.

Lloyd Jones made a superb block from JJ Hooper just in front of goal in the 32nd minute and Hooper was denied shortly afterwards by Vigouroux who did well to spread himself to deny the striker.
... ...
[/article]

[article]Lloyd Jones can’t wait to sample the atmosphere of a ‘West Country Derby’ for the very first time on Saturday and is targeting a second successive victory for the Robins.

The on-loan Liverpool defender – who arrived at SN1 earlier this month on a season-long deal - made his home bow last time out against Port Vale as Town made it two 1-0 wins on the trot at the County Ground.

Having not experienced the competitive nature of a local rivalry too many times in his fledgling career, Jones is itching to get involved in the thick of the action come 3pm on Saturday.

“I played for Cheltenham against Oxford when I made my league debut and that was quite a decent derby, but it won’t be as big as this one,” he told swindontownfc.co.uk.

“I really like the big games so I’m looking forward to Saturday.

“Nathan Thompson has said that Bristol will probably bring a lot of fans and we’re expecting a lot of Swindon fans, so it will be interesting to see what turns up on Saturday.

“Derbies are always a bit different and it will be a tough challenge. The game will be a bit spicy and a bit grittier, but we’ve just got to play like we did for the first 30 minutes against Port Vale and if we do that then we’ve got a really good chance.”

Jones was crowned Town’s Man of the Match last time out following a very accomplished display at the back during the 1-0 victory over Port Vale, and the 20-year-old is loving every minute of his time at SN1.

“I thought we were very solid defensively (on Saturday) and the clean sheet is always nice but from watching Swindon over the last few games, that’s not the way we like to win games.

“But in this league you need to roll your sleeves up sometimes to get the result you need.

“I did alright but I thought everyone played really well and I was lucky enough to get Man of the Match.

“I’m really enjoying it here. I’m really rating this team and I think we can do a lot this year if we keep at it.

“I’m just really looking forward to the season.” [/article]

MOM and contributed towards a clean sheet.

[article]TO ANYONE watching from the stands it would appear that on-loan defender Lloyd Jones has enjoyed a seamless transition into the Swindon Town team, however, the man himself admits he is still getting to grips with their system.

Jones will spend this season at the County Ground from Premier League side Liverpool and has immediately made one of the three centre-back spots his own.

The 20-year-old made the perfect first impression in front of the Town faithful by being named man of the match on his home debut during the 1-0 win over Port Vale a fortnight ago.

Any Liverpool defender should be comfortable with Town’s preferred 3-5-2 formation as it was often utilised by former Anfield boss Brendan Rodgers, however, Jones concedes it is far from second nature to him.

Jones told BBC Wiltshire: “When Brendan Rodgers brought it in I was actually on loan - I have probably played in a back-three four or five times.

“I have never played on the left, so that is always a challenge but I am enjoying it at the moment.

“I am really enjoying it (at Swindon). I was at Blackpool last year, the results were OK but I am really rating this team at the minute and I think we can do a lot this year.

“What the manager has brought in (over the summer) has been top drawer. I am really looking forward to getting the season started even more.”

Jones’ Town career may be less than a month old but he has already given the supporters one major scare after picking up an injury on his first appearance.

That came in the heart-breaking penalty shoot-out defeat at Queens Park Rangers in the EFL Cup first round – a game which Town were forced to finish with 10 men due to a calf problem sustained by Jones.

The youngster admits naivety got the better of him that day as he opted to play through the pain barrier, not realising his teammates had to go through the rigours of an additional 30 minutes in extra time.

Thankfully Jones was only forced to miss two matches as a result.

“That was partly my fault because I thought it was a replay,” added Jones. “I got injured in about the 70th minute. I thought I would just carry on for the 90 minutes and get the replay but obviously that wasn’t the case.

“It was frustrating at the time for me because it was my first game and I thought I was playing OK but at least I am fit now.”[/article]

Markovic came on for the last 30 mins in Sporting's 3-0 win over Moreirense, continuing their winning start to the season (4 in 4).

Another clean sheet for Ward as Huddersfield Town completed their best-ever start to a season to stay clear at the top of the Championship win a 1-0 win at Leeds.

Fulton also helped Chesterfield keep a clean sheet in their 0-0 draw away to Oldham.

Kent featured for over an hour before being substituted in Barnsley 2-1 away win against Preston North End.

Jones played the entire match in Swindon's 2-0 default at Oxford United while Bodgan was also in the losing side as Wigan got beaten 2-1 at Sheff Wed.

Awoniyi played for 72 mins in NEC's home clash against PSV in which they lost 4-0.

Allan hasn't made his debut for Hertha Berlin till date.

Last edited:
I notice Jon Flanagan was an unused sub for Burnley yesterday and I don't think he has played any premiership minutes for them yet.
Not fit enough or not good enough?

Danny Ward howler lost them the game last night and Adam Bogdan also committed an absolute atrocity in the box. What the hell do we do to keepers?!

Oh No's!!! I reckon just a cup of tea with Achterberg is enough to ruin a goalie. Poor the Karius.

24 Sep

Danny Ward
Reading 1-0 Huddersfield

Town: Ward, Smith, Lowe (Hefele, 80), Schindler, Hudson, Hogg, Mooy, Kachunga, Palmer (Bunn, 28, Cranie 80), Van La Parra, Wells.
Subs Not Used: Whitehead, Scannell, Payne, Coleman.
[article]Ten-man Huddersfield Town slipped off the top of the Championship table after suffering defeat at Reading.

The Terriers were on the back foot after winger Rajiv van La Parra was sent off before the half-hour mark for two bookable offences.

After John Swift hit the post, the Royals went ahead just before the break through Roy Beerens' deflected shot.

35 mins: Swift has another effort from distance - Danny Ward saves.

41 mins: Reading go ahead through Roy Beerens; Ward parrying his shot but can't keep it out.

66 mins: Keeper Ward comes out of his area to kick clear as Reading give chase to a through ball.

71 mins: Ward makes a fine save from Stephen Quinn.[/article]

Ryan Fulton
Bury 2-1 Chesterfield

Chesterfield: Fulton (gk) - McGinn (Dimaio 76'), Hird, Anderson, Graham - O'Shea (Evatt 90'), Liddle (c), Nolan, Ariyibi - Dennis, Wilkinson (Gardner 85')
Subs not used: Parkin (gk), Mitchell, German, Maguir

Adam Bodgan
Preston 1-0 Wigan

Latics: Bogdan, Buxton, Power, Grigg, Byrne (Davies 79), Gomez, MacDonald (Powell 52), Jacobs (Perkins 59), Warnock (Capt), Burn, Wildschut
Unused Subs: Jaaskelainen, Le Fondre, Woolery, Garbutt
[article]Gary Caldwell made just the one change from last week’s draw against Fulham, Nathan Byrne making his first start for the club in place of the injured Alex Gilbey.

They fell behind after just seven minutes when Aiden McGeady’s shot struck Hugill eight yards out, the ball taking a wicked deflection to beat Adam Bogdan as he actually appeared to be trying to get out of the way of the ball. Latics players claimed for offside, but replays showed he was level.
... ...
The second half exploded into life with a chance at both ends inside the first two minutes. Chris Maxwell saved Grigg’s drive before, on the break, Hugill found himself free to shoot and Bogdan got down sharply to deflect the ball for a corner.
... ...[/article]

Ryan Kent
Brighton 2-0 Barnsley

Reds: Davies, Yiadom, Roberts, MacDonald, Kpekawa, Hammill, Scowen (Morsy, 80’ ), Hourihane, Watkins (Kent, 64’ ), Winnall (Bradshaw, 80’ ), Armstrong.
Subs: Townsend, Bree, Lee, Jackson.

Llyod Jones
Oldham 0-2 Swindon

SWINDON TOWN -Vigouroux; Rossi-Branco, N Thompson (C), Jones; Furlong, Kasim, Thomas (Ellis Iandolo 87), Goddard (Anton Rodgers 74), Ormonde-Ottewill; Obika, Delfouneso (Luke Norris 72).
Subs Not Used -Henry, Evans, Smith, Hylton.
[article]Lloyd Jones’ raking pass found Thompson high up the field and he played a clever ball into the path of Goddard, who picked out Jon Obika perfectly inside the area with the striker keeping a calm head to slot home the opener into the bottom corner.
... ...
Delfouneso showed plenty of composure to play in Goddard down the flank with a classy back-heel, and the midfielder’s cross fell nicely at the feet of Ormonde-Ottewill who lashed home Town’s second goal of the afternoon.

The defender tried his luck again mere moments later after embarking on a mazy run but he could only blaze over, before Jones’ shot was hacked clear by the Oldham defence just in-front of the line.
... ...[/article]

Jack Dunn
Morecambe 2-3 Crawley

Morecambe: Roche, Wakefield, Edwards, Winnard, Mullin (Stockton 64), Murphy, Barkhuizen, Ellison, Conlan, Dunn, Rose
Subs: Nizic, McGowan, Kenyon, Molyneux, Massanka, Jennings

Lazar Markovic
Sporting 4-2 Estoril

Sporting: Rui Patrício, João Pereira, Coates, Semedo, Jefferson, Gelson, Adrien (Elias, 77’), William, Bryan, Alan Ruiz (André, 46’), Bas Dost (Markovic, 74’)

============================

25 Sep

Taiwo Awoniyi
NEC Nijmegen 0-0 Willem II

Started the game and was subbed out in 91st min.

Last edited:
http://www.empireofthekop.com/2016/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

It doesn’t look like Lazar Markovic’s loan spell in Portugal is going too well, sadly…
The Serbian was sent to Sporting Lisbon for the campaign, being nowhere near Jurgen Klopp’s first-team plans, but he’s yet to be given a start for his new side either.

The 23-year-old came off the bench for Sporting in the Champions League last night against Warsaw, but was the target of a ‘monumental boo’ when he failed to square to Bas Dost who had an open goal.
This is according to Portuguese paper Record, which has been translated by our friends at Sport Witness.
Markovic seems a confidence player, so this is not going to do him much good.
The Serb shone in Portugal for Benfica pre-2014, hence why we bought him, but it looks like he’s regressing rather than improving.
Our hope now is that Markovic gets himself in the team and begins to impress, enabling us to earn a tidy sell-on fee next summer. We wish him luck.

5572691.jpg

[article]JON Flanagan is enjoying life at Turf Moor despite a lack of game time so far, according to Clarets chief Sean Dyche.

And Dyche has insisted he is under no pressure from Liverpool to play the on-loan full-back in a set number of games this season.

The 23-year-old signed a season-long loan deal with Burnley in August, but so far he has featured just once, in the EFL Cup defeat to Accrington Stanley.

Flanagan, who only returned from 18 months out with a knee injury in January, is able to offer cover at right-back and left-back, but he has been unable to displace either Matt Lowton or Stephen Ward from the starting line-up.

Flanagan has been an unused substitute in the last four Premier League, but despite not seeing much action at the moment Dyche is sure the loan star is getting something out of his Clarets loan spell.

“There is a good competition there,” he said. “Flanners has fitted in well here and he’s getting back to real fitness and sharpness, it takes a long time, we’ve seen it with our lads. He’d been out for a long time.

“He’s enjoying it, he wants to play of course but he’s enjoying what we offer here.”

Flanagan looked like he could challenge the full-back positions in the aftermath of the defeat at Leicester City, but both Lowton and Ward have responded to that with impressive performances, leaving the Liverpool man stuck on the bench for now.

“I thought the lads did well (against Watford) in the full-back areas, they had a tough game against Leicester but bounced with a strong performance against Watford,” said Dyche.

Reports on Merseyside before the start of the season suggested that Liverpool require their loan players to feature in at least 75 per cent of games under a ‘playing clause’.

It was suggested that clubs could be penalised financially if they do not play the Reds youngsters in a specified number of games during the season.

But when Dyche was asked if he had to play Flanagan in a set number of games, he insisted he would not have done the deal if Liverpool had demanded such a clause.[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom