• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Make or break season for Nunez?

Status
Not open for further replies.
370503035_689143853244677_4201307356999069454_n.jpg

Have to say, his movement for both goals was just world class. Textbook center forward play on how to make a run, angle your body and receive the pass, and the finishes were just world class too. We didn't see that level of flawless execution from him last year. If he does that consistently, Klopp will need to seriously think about building our next attack around him, especially once Salah leaves.

I wonder if us sorting out midfield and defence can lead to a more expansive frontline? It's pretty obvious there is some blueprint attempt with Gapko, to do the job that Firmino once did, but you've also got two arguably more talented goalscorers in Jota and Nunez, Jota works hard but doesn't have the all round skill set (though he's getting better in that sense), and Nunez is improving too but lacks the intelligence and off the ball workrate at times - but he'll get goals.

It's a healthy position for us to be in, but it would be interesting to see how Nunez fits with two from Diaz, Jota and Salah.

saw this - don't know if true but hopefully a similar trajectory! ;-)

Goals in their first 45 appearances for Liverpool:
Nunez - 17
Suarez - 17

Considering when he plays he gets/makes about 10 chances a game; if he has improved his finishing or willingness to just shoot first time he could truly be spectacular for us.

The problem i think we've had, is we've tried to coach a little of the false 9 in to him. The weird decisions to pass rather than shoot, the hesitancy to make the run. Just let the boy play ffs.
Salah, even when banging in the goals, always missed loads of chances.

[article]
Untitled.jpg

It was always going to be hard to properly replace Roberto Firmino and Jürgen Klopp might well never manage to while he is Liverpool manager. Darwin Núñez will never be Firmino, but he could just be the number nine Liverpool need for a title challenge.

With his two goals against Newcastle last week, it looked briefly as though Núñez had learned to finish like a world-class striker, but he was back to his all-too-wasteful ways against Aston Villa this weekend – not hitting the target with any of his five shots. The good news for him and his team, though, was that it didn’t matter – and he did so much other good work that he still played a big part in a comfortable 3-0 win against decent opposition.

Firmino was never primarily a goalscorer, so maybe Núñez doesn’t need to be that, either. He is a chaos creator; he runs tirelessly and creates space for others with his movement, while he also seems to be building up a decent partnership with Mohamed Salah. After Sunday’s assist, all four of Núñez’s Premier League assists for Liverpool have been for Salah goals, and on two occasions Núñez very nearly finished off chances created for him by the Egyptian. One of them did lead to a goal, as he hit the post before Matty Cash turned into his own net.

He gets into good positions regularly – his 1.36 non-penalty expected goals per 90 this season is the best of all players with 100+ minutes of action – and if he were to finish off chances more consistently, Núñez could be a genuine world-class forward. Maybe one day he will be. For now, though, he could be enough for Liverpool anyway.
[/article]

For the chances he intentionally creates, the ones he accidentally creates, as well as the amount of chances he gets; he has to start

It's a ridiculous "if", I know, but if he converts on average 1 of these chances a game that he gets and arguably should score, I think we'd win the league

It's a ridiculous "if", I know, but if he converts on average 1 of these chances a game that he gets and arguably should score, I think we'd win the league

So why mention it?

He can miss another 10 chances like he did against Villa throughout the season, it doesn't matter so long as we're still coming away with the 3 points AND he's playing a big part in helping us do so despite the missed chances.

Plus he's shown he can finish away, he won us the game at Newcastle by himself with 2 goals from 2 chances.

The guy is a chance magnet, whether he's missing or converting....his overall contribution is still so much more valuable.

I have always been more of a Jota and Gakpo fan, but Darwizzy was dead unlucky not to have had a hattrick against Villa.

Those were pretty difficult shots too. The shot leading to the own goal was hit with such force I was surprised Cash wasn't injured. And the one where he hit the crossbar - I was amazed it came that close. Not a lot of angle to get a good shot off. When he tried the lib I hought it would have gone out the stadium. Finally the cross from Salah took a great fingertip touch from Martinez to put him off.

He has the potential to outshine Haaland especially if he builds on this partnership with Mo

I have always been more of a Jota and Gakpo fan, but Darwizzy was dead unlucky not to have had a hattrick against Villa.

Those were pretty difficult shots too. The shot leading to the own goal was hit with such force I was surprised Cash wasn't injured. And the one where he hit the crossbar - I was amazed it came that close. Not a lot of angle to get a good shot off. When he tried the lib I hought it would have gone out the stadium. Finally the cross from Salah took a great fingertip touch from Martinez to put him off.

He has the potential to outshine Haaland especially if he builds on this partnership with Mo

Let's not do the Haaland comparisons again. Like @SummerOnions mentioned, just converting one of his numerous chances per game would be plenty. I do think he will have a tendency to score in bunches, as well as go through barren periods.

I'd stick with Nunez for the time being but on a game-by-game basis. If teams either leave space behind the opposition or we believe we can control the game and create umpteen chances then Nunez gets the nod. If not and we're going to need to wrestle control of games and link up in deeper areas then Gakpo gets selected. Both players will need to get used to performing at a high level when called upon because they're such different and bespoke players.

I do think the strengthening of the midfield combined with Trent in a QB role opens the door for Nunez this season in a way that was not possible last year.

I'd stick with Nunez for the time being but on a game-by-game basis. If teams either leave space behind the opposition or we believe we can control the game and create umpteen chances then Nunez gets the nod. If not and we're going to need to wrestle control of games and link up in deeper areas then Gakpo gets selected. Both players will need to get used to performing at a high level when called upon because they're such different and bespoke players.

I do think the strengthening of the midfield combined with Trent in a QB role opens the door for Nunez this season in a way that was not possible last year.

I agree.

Salah no longer has the pace to get in behind defences and Diaz appears to be more winger than wide forward. So whilst I've yet to be won over by Nunez, he's the only player we have now that can fulfil this role for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom