• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Man of the match - Game 30 - Brighton and Hove Albion - Away - PL

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the Back Four had excellent games. The midfielders were less than average and the forwards barely that too.

TAA
Robbo
Fabinho

VvD just misses out despite the fact he was organising them.

Salah - made and scores the goal
VDV - he just makes the defence better
Fabinho - good game, but bonus because he was out of position

I think Firmino did a hell of a pressing job. Also neat on the ball. VvD was just boss (again). Robbo very active. Salah wins the game. Wijnaldum kept the ball well. Trent and Fabs worked well together. Lots of candidates here.

VVD
Firmino
Robbo

Can I also say, I think this was the first game I can remember where we've been reffed by Kevin Friend and he wasn't a complete disaster.

r
I think Firmino did a hell of a pressing job. Also neat on the ball. VvD was just boss (again). Robbo very active. Salah wins the game. Wijnaldum kept the ball well. Trent and Fabs worked well together. Lots of candidates here.

VVD
Firmino
Robbo

Mo
Virgil
Robbo

Agree though - lots of others (Fabs, Bobby, Gini, Trent) were all very good.

And (risking odium from the usual sources), I though Hendo did an excellent job as DM. He's not spectacular, but time after time, he breaks things up before they start. If he's in the right place, it looks easier than it really is. We looked very sound, credit to the skipper.

r

Mo
Virgil
Robbo

And (risking odium from the usual sources), I though Hendo did an excellent job as DM. He's not spectacular, but time after time, he breaks things up before they start. If he's in the right place, it looks easier than it really is. We looked very sound, credit to the skipper.

I didn't notice that part of Hendos game. Er had a lot of ball so we probably won it back at midfield at times. But for me Hendos game is dominated by that he "never" pass the ball forward. Especially in games were we struggle to break down tight defences the midfield need to pass the ball faster and in forward direction. For me Hendo slow us down and uses the safe alternative behind 8 out of 10 times.

Agreed, he tends to pass sideways and cautiously. I think that is mainly the DM role, or instructions received though. Looks more forward looking when Fabs is at DM.

I didn't notice that part of Hendos game. Er had a lot of ball so we probably won it back at midfield at times. But for me Hendos game is dominated by that he "never" pass the ball forward. Especially in games were we struggle to break down tight defences the midfield need to pass the ball faster and in forward direction. For me Hendo slow us down and uses the safe alternative behind 8 out of 10 times.
Actually he was a real 'Jekyll & Hyde Hendo' yesterday. First half was the Hendo we know and hate, second half he was a man possessed winning the ball back, passing forward and gasps - pauses for dramatic effect made forward runs !

r

Mo
Virgil
Robbo

I also think Hendo had a good game, aside from a couple of mistakes. Many fans hate seeing the ball recycled in the middle so much, but this is something Sarri in particular perfected in Napoli – the idea is that because of the hundred "unnecessary" passes in middle, the team is harder to press, because the ball always moves (even if it's by short distance), but also the ball is almost always in the middle, so the opponents must keep their shape at all times to protect against all the possible angles of the pass: right, left, chip down the middle, forward into feet, or a run with the ball. There are simply too many things to cover, so we are forcing the opponent into this passive defensive position for 90 minutes and as long as we have players like Salah who can reliably deliver a moment of inspiration and the defense doesn't give anything away, that's a pretty good formula.

But the midfielder will always draw the ire of the fans for having the ball at his feet so much and choosing a safe pass 9/10 times – even though that's exactly what the coach wants.

Actually he was a real 'Jekyll & Hyde Hendo' yesterday. First half was the Hendo we know and hate, second half he was a man possessed winning the ball back, passing forward and gasps - pauses for dramatic effect made forward runs !

I don't hate Hendo.. I am just uninspired and unimpressed by him.

Again I didn't notice those forward passes and runs. Especially not in 2nd half. I wanted him to do it as we could create more when Brighton opened up and quick turnovers in midfield could help is counter, but apart from two impressive long passes to Trent and one neat pass through their midfield to Bobby I could not spot what you mention here. I like that we keep possesion and kontroll the ball and he does that a lot, but sometimes we need to quick take opportunities and he really have room for improvement there.

I don't hate Hendo.. I am just uninspired and unimpressed by him.

Again I didn't notice those forward passes and runs. Especially not in 2nd half. I wanted him to do it as we could create more when Brighton opened up and quick turnovers in midfield could help is counter, but apart from two impressive long passes to Trent and one neat pass through their midfield to Bobby I could not spot what you mention here. I like that we keep possesion and kontroll the ball and he does that a lot, but sometimes we need to quick take opportunities and he really have room for improvement there.
Yeah. He did. See if you can find a Wonderboy clip of his performance yesterday.

Yeah. He did. See if you can find a Wonderboy clip of his performance yesterday.
Yep, he was really trying to make it happen second half.

Considering how hard Brighton worked to close passing lanes first half there were few chances to pass it forwards, it was only in the second half as they tired that there were any chances to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom