• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Martin makes it six!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the injury problems in the England camp right now, would ferdinand be the right choice? He's as injury prone as Woodgate and King these days.
But then again Kelly's easily as injury prone.
Maybe he was chosen as backup due to his versatility? He is chosen as a backup's backup after all. Most likely won't get a game.

Robbie Fowler has joined the backlash against Rio Ferdinand's European Championship snub by claiming there was "not a chance" the defender was left out by England for "footballing reasons".

England boss Roy Hodgson faced a barrage of questions when naming his squad on May 16 about whether he had snubbed Ferdinand because of concerns the centre-back would not be able to get along with John Terry, in light of Terry's impending court case for alleged racist remarks to Ferdinand's brother Anton at Loftus Road in October. Terry denies the charge against him.

When Gary Cahill was ruled out of Euro 2012 with a double fracture of his jaw on Sunday, Liverpool's Martin Kelly was called up as his replacement.

Fowler - who played with Ferdinand for both England and Leeds, claimed in his PaddyPower.com blog: "There's not a chance Rio Ferdinand was left out of the England squad for 'footballing reasons'. Not a chance. The public knows that too.

"The reason is Rio's brother, Anton, was allegedly racially abused by John Terry.

"I've read that Ferdinand got in touch with Hodgson shortly after he was appointed as manager to say he was willing to play in the same England team as Terry.

"Rio was then overlooked for the Euro 2012 23-man squad for what was described as 'purely a footballing decision' by Hodgson.

"It's the choice by Hodgson to replace the injured Chelsea centre-half Gary Cahill with Martin Kelly that has really caused the backlash now.

"I played with Rio Ferdinand at Leeds United. He is a fantastic player who reads the game brilliantly. He started 30 Premier League games for Manchester United last season and nearly won the league. Footballing reasons?

"Rio is a quieter defender than John Terry. Terry is more dominant, and yes, England need that. Roy Hodgson doesn't want to concede goals. I would still have taken Ferdinand.

"But this looks like the end of his England career, to be honest.

"That said, I'm delighted Martin Kelly has got the call-up. He's a great young lad who has come up through the ranks at Liverpool."

I doubt it would solve England's injury crisis to call up another player who is injury prone..

Isn't Roy doing the right thing bringing through the youth...

If we were in Sweden, Switzerland, Finland or one of the countries where Roy is a big name, this wouldn't even be an issue.....(waits)...

The treatment Kelly's getting in the media is an absolute disgrace. Whatever they think about Ferdinand (most of which is absolute claptrap seeing as they revere Terry) shouldn't mean that a young lad with great potential gets absolutely slaughtered just because Woy has picked him. He'll prove the bastards wrong but it's still an outrage a country that's supposed to be aiming to encourage young talent should leave a young lad like that out in the open for a kicking.

TBF, the Terry-Ferdinand partnership has got us fuck all anyway. Though it's Terry that's usually found wanting at International level, not Rio. I hate the both of them anyway so I couldn't really give a shit.

I'm quite pleased the younger players are getting a chance but just wish the media would lay off them & support them a little more & relieve any expectations.

You just know if any of the younger players fucked up & it led to us being knocked out they'd be pilloried & their confidence destroyed.

Media are setting it up to pin the blame on Roy for the whole thing. when shit goes wrong..and it will it will be because Rio didnt go.

I just hope kelly doesn't make a high profile mistake if he's called upon.

Or hendo, Stevie, AC, Glojo......aaaahhh or downing though Im not really that bothered about him!

I just hope kelly doesn't make a high profile mistake if he's called upon.

tumblr_m53rzwrb7l1r1rm6n.jpg

I feel it would also be quite nice and refreshing if Liverpool fans didn't try and point score if GlenJo does the same.

The rest I don't care if they fuck up (it's england)

Kelly would get the brunt because he's there instead of rio.

Kelly made his debut in the Champions League. He seems to thrive on pressure.

He's a brilliant prospect and I'm delighted for him. I'm very hopeful that he will make it at Liverpool.

I didn't know this till now. So, is over a quarter of the squad from us? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Mind you, I'm not sure if its that funny or whether it just means English footy should just close down, let us concentrate on Morris Dancing.

By the way Dallas is back tommorow night - new series showing characters 25 years on. jR and bobby are in it..

Fuck the media and England supporters.
Roy's giving you Kelly.
Roy gave us Konchesky.

Roy's giving you Henderson.
Roy gave us Poulsen.

FORMER England boss Sven Goran Eriksson yesterday claimed Roy Hodgson has become the victim of a smear campaign.

Eriksson says current Three Lions manager Hodgson has been unfairly slated for picking six men in his squad who play for his former club Liverpool.

Skipper Steven Gerrard, Stewart Downing, Glen Johnson and Andy Carroll were in his original selection and Jordan Henderson and Martin Kelly were brought in after injury withdrawals.

Rookie Kelly’s selection ahead of the experienced Rio Ferdinand caused controversy and Eriksson said: “Choosing Kelly over Manchester United’s Ferdinand seems to have caught him in a crossfire.

“And having selected six Liverpool players, Roy is the target of a smear campaign.

“But I know Roy will face it without losing his composure.

“Remember, this is England. No squad is ever selected without criticism.

“Personally I just find the whole thing to be quite silly. First of all, they’re all good footballers.

“Secondly, Roy’s got rock-solid knowledge when it comes to the players’ current form. So let me suggest we all save our verdicts until after the tournament.

“At the same time, I understand Rio’s disappointment.

“He was an incredibly important player for me in three tournaments. But we mustn’t forget he has suffered through injuries this season. And Roy has his reasons. Otherwise he would not have rejected Rio – twice.

“Many try to connect the dots between the race allegations against John Terry and Roy leaving Ferdinand out of the squad.

“I know there is no truth to these claims.

“How? You’re just going to have to trust me. With less than a week to go, Roy wanted the player joining the squad to be match fit.

“Someone who has carried on with his training after the end of league play.

“It has been an entirely football-based decision, but that doesn’t seem to matter.

“I suspect there’s one person who is very happy about Rio being left out – Sir Alex Ferguson.”

The England boss told ITV: "The biggest insult would've been to say 'there's a place but you're unlikely to play as I've got others in mind'.

Hodgson added: "Rio Ferdinand for me is not a player that you call up as a substitute, or to cover for the players that you have.

"We turned to Martin Kelly because I knew he was going to be someone who would be very useful to us. He's very happy to be here knowing that his chances of playing a big part in the tournament are quite small. You don't turn to people like Rio Ferdinand for that."

Hodgson even revealed that when Gary Cahill was injured last week against Belgium, he attempted to call Tottenham's Kyle Walker back into the squad rather than call on Ferdinand.

But he told the BBC: "Ferdinand has no reason to fear for his international future."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom