• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Match fixing for sex in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosco

Worse than Brendan
SINGAPORE: The third Lebanese football official implicated in a recent match-fixing case was sentenced to six months' imprisonment on Tuesday.

Referee Ali Sabbagh, 34, pled guilty on Monday, the first day of the corruption trial, along with two linesmen - Ali Eid, 33, and Abdallah Taleb, 37.

The three men each admitted to one charge of accepting sexual gratification from a prostitute in return for fixing a match in the future.

The court sentenced Eid and Taleb to three months' jail each on Monday.

Their sentences were backdated to April when they were arrested. It is understood that they were released on Monday.

In handing down the sentence for Sabbagh on Tuesday, District Judge Low Wee Ping said he agreed that an imprisonment term of six months was suitable for Sabbagh as he was more culpable.

The judge noted that the defence had placed much emphasis on the point that whilst Sabbagh received sexual gratification, there was no agreement between him and Eric Ding Si Yang to fix any match in Singapore or elsewhere.

Ding, 31, allegedly provided prostitutes to the linesmen when they were in Singapore for an Asian Football Confederation Cup match between Tampines Rovers and East Bengal, which was played on 3 April.

Another key point highlighted in court was that while Sabbagh and the other two linesmen received gratification on 3 April, they did not intend to fix the match that was to be played the same day.

The judge however pointed out that the charge was a grave one.

A significant point, said the judge, was that Ding was cultivating Sabbagh, who in turn cultivated Eid and Taleb.

Sabbagh had the potential to influence many football matches as he was a FIFA-accredited referee, said the judge.

Looking relieved, Sabbagh thanked the judge for leniency.

Sabbagh's sentence will be backdated to April.

Lol. The charge was "accepting sexual gratification from a prostitute" for each of them, not 1 prostitute for all 3. :p As you can read on the later part, it says "Ding, 31, allegedly provided prostitutes to the linesmen".

photo_1370931479181-1-0_0.jpg
photo_1370931572518-1-0_0.jpg

Anyway, this Eric Ding was a tipster in a local tabloid 'The New Paper'.

http://www.asiaone.com/print/News/Latest+News/Sports/Story/A1Story20110815-294523.html

20110815.110500_eric.jpg

"I frequent neighbourhood kopitiams, where I sometimes eavesdrop on conversations between guys I know to be football fanatics.

Over the years, they have come to know me, too. And they are eager to exchange "information".

Believe me, these guys know their stuff and by keeping my ear close to the ground, I have learnt a lot."

I think you can do more or less anything - as long as you take care how you dispose of your chewing gum. ;)

Reactions: Y1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom