• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mauricio Pellegrino named as Valencia manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Binny

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
http://www.valenciacf.com/contenidos/Actualidad/Noticias/2012/05/Noticia_37356.html?__locale=es

mauricio-7-5-2012o.jpg_1494554400.jpg

Signed for next two seasons.

But the winners of this season's 'Complain About Your Coach' award have to be the Valencianistas. In a very different atmosphere than that of the Camp Nou, on Saturday evening the Ches bid their lukewarm farewell to Unai Emery, an unspectacular but consistent gaffer that, despite a constant stream of disciplinary issues under his tenure, said goodbye to Mestalla leaving the club in a Champions League spot for the third consecutive season.

Their new manager, Mauricio Pellegrino, joins Manuel Pellegrini and Mauricio Pochettino in a confusingly named trio of Italian-South American managers that will become the nightmare of us La Liga journalists and proof readers alike.

I cannot wait for kyriakgos to get a coaching position

He was sex on legs

What a ridiculous bit of business by Valencia..... Theyve been selling their best players year after year after year and yet even though thats happened Emery has kept them more or less comfortably in 3rd spot.... and then they sack him and replace him with an untried former player. just daft.

What a ridiculous bit of business by Valencia..... Theyve been selling their best players year after year after year and yet even though thats happened Emery has kept them more or less comfortably in 3rd spot.... and then they sack him and replace him with an untried former player. just daft.

I think he was always going to get the boot after that hammering by A.Madrid, but I really don't get the thinking behind this.
They've bought really well and Emery has had them comfortably qualify for the CL in recent years. What are the expectations in Valencia? They're not going to overtake the top two, so is it just a case of wanting to do better in Europe or perhaps win the Copa Del Rey? Absolute madness and a really unnecessary gamble on their part.

I think he was always going to get the boot after that hammering by A.Madrid, but I really don't get the thinking behind this.
They've bought really well and Emery has had them comfortably qualify for the CL in recent years. What are the expectations in Valencia? They're not going to overtake the top two, so is it just a case of wanting to do better in Europe or perhaps win the Copa Del Rey? Absolute madness and a really unnecessary gamble on their part.

The top two are fiercely competitive again now aswell, it's not the same two teams Rafa toppled all those years ago, and maybe therein lies their issue, that they've done it once, they're constantly searching for a manager that can do the same.

Unai Emery's win % this season is his lowest as manager of Valencia in La Liga (46%: 47% in 08/09, 55% in 09/10, 55% in 10/11).

Valencia have dropped the most points after opening the scoring in La Liga this season (25) and have picked up the fewest after conceding first (3).

Marcelino told Revista that Mauricio Pellegrino's fine attention to detail will serve Valencia well next season.

The Argentine has penned a two-year deal to succeed outgoing Mestalla boss Unai Emery and will return to the club he played in defence for between 1999-2005.

Ex-Newcastle and Mallorca centre-back Marcelino knows Pellegrino, who served as assistant boss to Rafael Benitez at both Liverpool and Inter Milan, well.

And he expects the 40-year-old to impress in his maiden managerial role.

"He is one of those young managers who has been given the chance in Spain; it was Pep Guardiola four years ago when he had only been with the Barcelona B team," said Marcelino.

"Pellegrino might be another one; he looks a bright guy, he has the curiosity about the little details, and he puts everything into questions and will argue with you until he wins with his own ideas.

"He has worked under Benitez, has gained experience, and will probably be a big surprise for the Valencia supporters next year."

Emery, meanwhile, has exited Valencia despite guiding the club to third spot in La Liga and to the semi-finals of the Copa del Rey and the Europa League.

Revista pundit Guillem Balague expects the ex-Almeria boss to be managing in Russia next term, but says he would relish the opportunity to test his credentials in England.

"He has got a three-year contract with Spartak Moscow on the table and will probably accept it," Balague said of Emery, who spent four years at the Mestalla.

"But I think he has got the dream of coming to the Premier League, the Championship or the Italian league, as he feels that in Russia you are sometimes off the radar."

Valencia sporting director Braulio Vazquez has revealed that the club were interested in former Chelsea coach Andre Villas-Boas before Mauricio Pellegrino was given the job.

Pellegrino was appointed as Valencia's new coach earlier in the month after Unai Emery announced his decision to leave the club at the end of the season.

Villas-Boas has been on the lookout for a new club to coach since being sacked by Chelsea in March, but Vazquez insinuated that the Portuguese was not interested in the job.

"Villas-Boas was our number-one candidate, but he could not come," he told Radio Marca.

"If we have to convince a player or a coach to come to Valencia, then we get off to a bad start."

The 34-year-old, who led Porto to four titles, including the Europa League trophy last season, has been linked with Inter, Roma and Liverpool in recent times.

Questioned about Pellegrino, the Valencia director stated that the 40-year-old's experience as a player makes him qualified for the coaching role.

"Pellegrino has worked with the best: Carlos Bianchi, Louis van Gaal, Rafa Benitez, Hector Cuper...," Vazquez explained.

"That gives him more experience than 100 matches as a coach in the Premier League."

Villas-Boas has been on the lookout for a new club to coach since being sacked by Chelsea in March, but Vazquez insinuated that the Portuguese was not interested in the job.

"Villas-Boas was our number-one candidate, but he could not come," he told Radio Marca.

"If we have to convince a player or a coach to come to Valencia, then we get off to a bad start."

because he is going to be liverpool manager

That would of course mean that the Owners were looking for a replacement before it became public that Kenny would be offski.
When do you think they decided that Kenny would be let go, considering that, according to Ayre, even a FA Cup win wouldn't have given him another season.

That would of course mean that the Owners were looking for a replacement before it became public that Kenny would be offski.

which, let's face, they probably were. if fact it isn't a stretch to believe the likes of martinez and rodgers were apporoached to make the eventual signing of AVB look more attractive to fans after the chelsea debacle

Well considering a few journos called AVB meeting with them the week before he was sacked I'd say it was a fair bet.

Interestingly he has apparently been in Brazil scouting since.

Well considering a few journos called AVB meeting with them the week before he was sacked I'd say it was a fair bet.

Interestingly he has apparently been in Brazil scouting since.

the more I think about it the more I think it makes sense. I think the only reason they haven't annouced it is because they want to get all the appointments in place including CEO (I think the DoF is done) and then do a big unveiling

I think the decision to sack Kenny was made around the same time as the one to sack Comolli, it just made no sense for Kenny to go right before a cup final.

1338906143_extras_mosaico_noticia_1_g_0.jpg

New Valencia manager Mauricio Pellegrino believes his side can compete with the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona despite the financial disparity between the clubs.

Former manager Unai Emery took Los Che to three consecutive third placed finishes behind the big two in the Primera Division, but Valencia finished 39 points behind champions Madrid last season.

However, Argentinian Pellegrino is still sure Valencia can pose a title challenge despite possibly losing one of their key players this summer in Jordi Alba.

He told AS: "That Real Madrid and Barcelona have a different budget is a reality, it is something obvious and objective, but if football is anything it is irrational. This is why we are so passionate about it.

"Not all teams are made from a base of money and we are going to compete with Real Madrid and Barca."

Pellegrino spent six years with the club as a player, but his only previous managerial experience came as part of Rafa Benitez's coaching team at Liverpool and Inter Milan.

However, despite thanking Benitez for his tutelage, Pellegrino was quick to stress he will be his own man.

"All the people what were part of my life have been an influence in it," he added.

"Rafa is part of that also, it has been a privilege to be able to play under him. I have learned a lot and I have thanked him personally, but I am not Rafa Benitez. I am a different person and a product of my own experiences.

"I am very happy to be here. It excited me when I arrived. I remembered the moments I lived here as a player, but now is a new era. We are happy and I am sure that with our work we can form an important team."

However, Pellegrino may be handed an early reminder of the difference in financial power between the two giants of Spanish football and the rest with Spanish international Alba expected to complete his transfer to Barcelona within the next few days.

"In the last few years players of a high level have left the club and the team has remained strong," Pellegrino added.

"If he goes it will be a shame from a football perspective, but that is the reality of the club."

At his official unveiling as Valencia's new manager, Mauricio Pellegrino has stated that his team will be going all out next season: "Not all teams are built by spending money. We are going to compete with Madrid and Barça".

The Argentinian coach also gave a few hints as to how Valencia will play under him next season: "We will be more attack-minded than defensive. Valencia will continue to be a top team and if it sticks to the path it has followed in recent years, it has every chance of competing for major titles", Pellegrino asserted.

As for his inspirations, he noted: "Everyone in my life has had an influence on me. Rafa, of course, is one of them, it was a privilege to play under him, I learned a lot from him and have thanked him personally, but I am not Rafa Benítez. I am a product of my experiences".

Speaking about the rumours linking Jordi Alba with a move away from the club, he said that "if he leaves, it will be a shame, football-wise".

So...almost everyone who worked under Rafa has now found a job of managing a club of significant stature, only Rafa is yet to find a job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom