• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

McGregor vs Mayweather

Dreambeliever

From Doubter to Believer (to doubter again)
So predictions please?

Winner, round and how?

KO, TKO or decision

Whatever happens in the ring it will be some atmosphere outside it in Vegas

At age 40, is Mayweather's two years off too much ?

If he still has that quickness i struggle to see how McGregor hits him. World class boxers have struggled to land good punches on Mayweather.

You have to think the longer it goes the more it favours Mayweather.

But .... McGregor is a a bit of a freak too. He always looks like he's got lightning quick hands in the UFC and clearly has knockout power. He's bigger and stronger than Mayweather, and he's only 29.

He looks like an awkward boxer as well - he might cause Mayweather some problems.

Mayweather will win on points. But his head will be split open and his face butchered.

The Nevada Commission hearing about the glove size was hilarious viewing. It was blatantly against the rules put in place for safety, Floyd's lawyer who brought the application gave zero argument, he just literally said we want it changed. McGregor's lawyer stood up and said uhm yeah I agree with that guy. The commission were palpably pissed, they had to change it for the money and the ticket sales, and had to spend the next 20 minutes jumping through hoops talking amongst themselves to try to create an impression that it was in the interests of safety to use a more dangerous glove.

Who cares.
Its not a fight. Its a money printing licence.

That's the same for all boxing matches. At least this time the outcome will be more significant, since it may ruin an entire sport if it goes wrong. That's worth rooting for more than which drugged up cunt walks away with iteration of some belt you couldn't even name the prior holders of.

If 49 pro boxers couldn't knock him down or knock him out I can't see McGregor doing it.

Should be a spectacle regardlsss as surely McGregor can take a lot of damage.

If Conor manages the impossible surely that's boxing fucked for good.

McGregor's only hope - and even then I see it as a theoretical one only - is to pull a Tyson Fury on Mayweather (i.e.surprise him by being totally unorthodox) and land one square on his chin in the first couple of rounds. Otherwise Mayweather glides in and out at will, cuts McGregor's face up and stops him by the end of round 6.

McGregor's only hope - and even then I see it as a theoretical one only - is to pull a Tyson Fury on Mayweather (i.e.surprise him by being totally unorthodox) and land one square on his chin in the first couple of rounds. Otherwise Mayweather glides in and out at will, cuts McGregor's face up and stops him by the end of round 6.

He tends to use his forearm to cut people's faces up. That will piss off McGregor quite a bit, which might not be a greatest idea.

No, but he's done it to the best boxers of his generation and none of them could lay a glove on him in response. How's a novice - albeit a very large one - going to do any better?

No, but he's done it to the best boxers of his generation and none of them could lay a glove on him in response. How's a novice - albeit a very large one - going to do any better?

Lawyers look at me and think that, then they fall. He's not like a complete novice off the street. Mayweather has 49 fights, against boxers who are nothing like McGregor, so much of that experience is irrelevant. He will show up and figure it out on the night, that's in real terms also fair to describe as novice. McGregor has the benefit of studying Mayweather, he's big on visualising his actions, then going out and doing them. So he might be 0-0, but his mindset and "experience" going into the ring will actually be him having seen in his mind exactly how he is going to land on and hurt Mayweather, and seeing it thousands of times. By Sunday, you'll see how confident and relaxed he will be, which comes form the fact he has to all intents and purposes done the thing more times than he can count. That's better than having irrelevant experience of past events.

Think of it like a pilot. Would you trust a pilot with 10,000 hours on a small business jet to fly a jumbo, or would you trust a pilot with 0 hours but who has clocked 10,000 on a simulator of the jumbo flying the exact same route you're going? Exactly, real world experience is overrated.

How much of McGregor have you seen JJ ?

I've no doubt McGregor will find it tough, but take a look at the angles he throws from, the power he generates etc:

I've finally decided what I'm going to do about this fight.

I'm going to decide later is what I've decided!

Was all set to stay up & watch it, but thanks to some astonishingly good exam results for Bex younger sisters this summer there's an impromptu party on sat evening now. Their parties usually run late, so I'm gonna come home & watch the ace undercard, if I'm still semi awake & up for it, I'll watch the main event, if not I'll record it & watch it the next morning before switching any radio or phone etc on so I avoid the result.

How much of McGregor have you seen JJ ?

I've no doubt McGregor will find it tough, but take a look at the angles he throws from, the power he generates etc:

Fair question (the answer is: clips I've watched since this match was made, so not a lot really) but similar things could be said about the long list of top boxers who've tried and failed to make any impression on Mayweather. McGregor's a fearsome prospect in many ways but he's fighting an opponent on ground of that opponent's choosing, ground on which the guy is one of the greatest practitioners ever. I promise to come back on here and hold my hand up for it if I turn out to be wrong about this, but - absent my earlier proviso about the first couple of rounds - I can't see past a Mayweather win.

I think most people believe the same JJ.

Due to the absence of Mayweather for a couple of years & the age difference there's maybe a 10-15% chance McGregor can KO him in the first four rounds, beyond that it's pretty much a guaranteed mayweather win, or as close to it as you can get it any sport.

I'm hoping for the former, cos I fucking love McGregor, & imo boxing needs the shake up, but my head says the latter.

If McGregor does win, boxing may get more than just a shake-up. I could genuinely see the whole sport going up in smoke then.

I think most people believe the same JJ.

Due to the absence of Mayweather for a couple of years & the age difference there's maybe a 10-15% chance McGregor can KO him in the first four rounds, beyond that it's pretty much a guaranteed mayweather win, or as close to it as you can get it any sport.

I'm hoping for the former, cos I fucking love McGregor, & imo boxing needs the shake up, but my head says the latter.
I just don't see how he goads Money into a position where he can do that.

How many rounds can McGregor go ? If he goes for ko inside four is it that or bust ?

I've finally decided what I'm going to do about this fight.

I'm going to decide later is what I've decided!

Was all set to stay up & watch it, but thanks to some astonishingly good exam results for Bex younger sisters this summer there's an impromptu party on sat evening now. Their parties usually run late, so I'm gonna come home & watch the ace undercard, if I'm still semi awake & up for it, I'll watch the main event, if not I'll record it & watch it the next morning before switching any radio or phone etc on so I avoid the result.

I've decided to wait until Sunday morning, if its a Mayweather on points win i'm not going to bother. I think the fight could be a real dull one.

If it's anything else, I'm watching it

I just don't see how he goads Money into a position where he can do that.

How many rounds can McGregor go ? If he goes for ko inside four is it that or bust ?

He doesn't really need to goad him. McGregor does actually use some Bruce Lee shit, he throws his left with a vicious whipping action. So he doesn't have to set himself and leverage off his back foot to generate power, and therefore doesn't have to out manoeuvre Mayweather to land it. That's why he is so calm and relaxed in his fights, because once he starts getting stressed and his muscles tighten up, that Bruce Lee whip is all over and he's done.

If McGregor does win, boxing may get more than just a shake-up. I could genuinely see the whole sport going up in smoke then.
Nah, there's still too much money involved.

I really want boxing to fuck off multiple belts & associations. UFC tends to be better for the fan as they can line up multiple exciting bouts easily on one card, boxing is so fragmented it makes it difficult.

Also there's still much media & sporting interest in the heavyweight division despite it being shite for decades, more focus on the lower weight divisions is necessary, cos that's where the exciting fights & fighters are.

@dantes Behave. Show me a fight when a boxer hasn't needed to goad him into a situation where shots can be landed ?

Dlh gave it a decent go , Shane Mosely had him rattled for a round or two. He's faced proper balls deep warrior boxers like Pacman that want to hook together big combos , it's all well and good, Dantes but he's got land some of these wild shots , not just it shoulders and elbows and keep enough in the tank to get beyond round 7/8 or wherever

I've decided to wait until Sunday morning, if its a Mayweather on points win i'm not going to bother. I think the fight could be a real dull one.

If it's anything else, I'm watching it
Yeah, basically if mayweather is at his best he's gonna do what he does best & bore the points win out.

Fair question (the answer is: clips I've watched since this match was made, so not a lot really) but similar things could be said about the long list of top boxers who've tried and failed to make any impression on Mayweather. McGregor's a fearsome prospect in many ways but he's fighting an opponent on ground of that opponent's choosing, ground on which the guy is one of the greatest practitioners ever. I promise to come back on here and hold my hand up for it if I turn out to be wrong about this, but - absent my earlier proviso about the first couple of rounds - I can't see past a Mayweather win.

Well, i don't know a huge amount of boxing but Mayweather has had trouble with less heralded and more unorthodox fighters like he did with Maidano a few years ago.

I don't think McGregor will fade the way many think he will as the fight goes on. And as meticulous as Mayweather is, he can't prepare in his usual way for McGregor because its hard to judge what McGregor's tactics will be.

@dantes Behave. Show me a fight when a boxer hasn't needed to goad him into a situation where shots can be landed ?

Dlh gave it a decent go , Shane Mosely had him rattled for a round or two. He's faced proper balls deep warrior boxers like Pacman that want to hook together big combos , it's all well and good, Dantes but he's got land some of these wild shots , not just it shoulders and elbows and keep enough in the tank to get beyond round 7/8 or wherever

Maidana for the early rounds was having his way with him against the ropes, and forced Floyd to come up with a new strategy on the fly.

The new strategy being to stick his forearm into his face and shove him away, which will piss off McGregor and lead to further violence.

Back
Top Bottom