• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

McGregor vs Mayweather

Gervonta Davis looking very unimpressive against some Costa Rican dude. Lomachenko would completely dismantle him if he fights like this.

Round 5, and McGregor is gassing badly. Floyd dominating, and Conor clinching.

The only issue is that Floyd doesn't have the power to put Conor down.

I think that fight did a lot more for MMA than boxing. Thought the ref should have let it go another bit too. Most boxers didn't last 10 rounds against Mayweather, I reckon Conor would beat most other boxers based on that.

I think that fight did a lot more for MMA than boxing. Thought the ref should have let it go another bit too. Most boxers didn't last 10 rounds against Mayweather, I reckon Conor would beat most other boxers based on that.
What? Mayweather has had 1 knockout in the last 10 years, which too was a dirty shot against Victor Ortiz. Pretty much any half distance boxer will take him the distance, because as good as Mayweather is, he's never had much power.

Tonight's fight was a one-sided mismatch. McGregor barely landed a punch after round 4, and was left clinching and wrestling against a much smaller man. This was a bit similar to the Canelo-Chavez fight. The bigger man was outmatched and outclassed, and begging to be put down. It lasted till 10 only because Mayweather didn't have the power to put him down.

Conor wouldn't last 3 rounds against one of the younger guys - Spence, Charlo etc would all blitzkrieg him.

And let's not get started on what Golovkin would do to him.

Reactions: HC
He landed more significant strikes than Pacquiao did against him, in his first ever pro fight. I reckon he'd be twice as good the next time he fights.

I was a little drunk last night, but assuming Mayweather is still good enough to beat most of the other fighters about, McGregor would give them a good go.

He landed more significant strikes than Pacquiao did against him, in his first ever pro fight. I reckon he'd be twice as good the next time he fights.

I was a little drunk last night, but assuming Mayweather is still good enough to beat most of the other fighters about, McGregor would give them a good go.

If you're going by the Compubox numbers, then you're reading them out of context.

Mayweather-Pacquiao numbers were this:

Pacquiao - 81 out of 429 (19%)
Mayweather - 148 out of 435 (34%)

Let's look at today's numbers:

McGregor - 111 out of 430 (26%)
Mayweather - 170 out of 320 (53%)

These stats are meaningless unless seen in the context of the fights. Mayweather-Pacquio had both fighters throwing at low percentages, because Floyd spent most of that fight touching and moving. Pacquiao couldn't hit him, because Floyd remained elusive.

Today, Floyd spent 3 rounds sizing Conor up, and spent the remaining 7 backing Conor and peppering him with his straight right. Conor countered a few times, but not once did he land clean. Floyd would never have tried that with Pacquiao, because Pacquiao had blindingly fast hands, and was capable of unleashing multi-punch combos.

Conor couldn't land one clean punch after round 3. In fact, he was so badly gassed that anyone with above-average power would have certainly put him down in the 5th round. Also telling that Conor, despite being the bigger guy, kept clinching Floyd repeatedly.

Then also consider the difference in size between McGregor and Pacquiao. Pacquiao is 5'5, with a 170 cm reach, and a walking weight of 145. McGregor is 5'9, with a 183 cm reach, and a walking weight of 170.

Basically, comparing McGregor's punch stats to Pacquiao's is meaningless without considering size, styles and the nature of the fight.

Conor was outclassed and outmatched. Manny was outrun and frustrated. There's a big difference between the two.

Can't believe anyone thought Conor could win. The amount of total disrespect for the art of pugislism has been frankly disgusting.

Now if Floyd was to fight Conor in his backyard ie MMA that would be an entirely different story.

But to win against a guy who's been beating all there is out there for over 20 years, on your pro debut ? Haha. All the trash talking won't suddenly erase 20 years of sheer class and talent.

Sent from my iPhone Pro using Tapatalk

If you watch the post match press conference you'd realise that Conor got schooled there. It was so evident that Floyd, as much as I'm not a fan of him, toyed with Conor for 10 rounds.

McGregor today:
7pZ5tec.gif

He did alright to last so long, given he didn't really have any plan or strategy. It looked like his team just expected him to figure out what to do on the night.

If someone offers me 300Mil in exchange of entertaining the fans for a few rounds of sparring (yes, sparring not boxing), 35 mins don't seem that long.

It was an exhibition not a proper fight.

If someone offers me 300Mil in exchange of entertaining the fans for a few rounds of sparring (yes, sparring not boxing), 35 mins don't seem that long.

It was an exhibition not a proper fight.

It was supposed exhibition!! You understand? An exhibition!

If you're going by the Compubox numbers, then you're reading them out of context.

Mayweather-Pacquiao numbers were this:

Pacquiao - 81 out of 429 (19%)
Mayweather - 148 out of 435 (34%)

Let's look at today's numbers:

McGregor - 111 out of 430 (26%)
Mayweather - 170 out of 320 (53%)

These stats are meaningless unless seen in the context of the fights. Mayweather-Pacquio had both fighters throwing at low percentages, because Floyd spent most of that fight touching and moving. Pacquiao couldn't hit him, because Floyd remained elusive.

Today, Floyd spent 3 rounds sizing Conor up, and spent the remaining 7 backing Conor and peppering him with his straight right. Conor countered a few times, but not once did he land clean. Floyd would never have tried that with Pacquiao, because Pacquiao had blindingly fast hands, and was capable of unleashing multi-punch combos.

Conor couldn't land one clean punch after round 3.

So you are saying McGregor essentially landed thr majority of his 111 punches in the first 3 rounds when Mayweather was being defensive, which dwarfs Mannys 12 round effort?

You are being overly critical of McGregor to the extreme.

Back
Top Bottom