• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

McLeish gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

The Prophet
According to various twitter rumors. Press conference planned later.

No surprise if true, he's been horrendous.

They'll surely go after Lambert or Martinez.

Fuck, I wanted him to relegate that club. Great decision by Lerner to hire him.

He's won the carling cup as a manager, so he'll have no trouble getting a top job in world football. Given the significance afforded to that cup these days.

He's won the carling cup as a manager, so he'll have no trouble getting a top job in world football. Given the significance afforded to that cup these days.

rafa won a cup in his first season and everyone said it was some kind of achievement.

They should've just kept O'Neill and not forced his hand in letting Milner go or even let him spend the funds from the sale.

Thought Kevin MacDonald should've been given the job after his stint as caretaker manager, before Gerard Houllier took over. With the no. of youth players coming through + Lerner's cutting down in spending, coupled with the support he had amongst the players, think he's worth a punt. Can't really see him doing poorer than McLeish.

Apparently Martinez already turned them down
He did. Last year.
I dont see how selling Young and Downing would have changed his mind.
Anyway, should this not be in the bye bye kenny thread?

Sort of feel for McLeish a little in that, three of his best players were sold in the summer (Friedel, Young and Downing) with or without his consent we don't know; Barry and Milner were off-loaded for quite considerable sums from previous years and the funds weren't reinvested in the squad; they then replaced Kyle Walker who they had on loan last season with Hutton. Finally, two of his best current players were injured long-term (Dunne and Bent) and his captain is suffering from Leukemia. The squad needs major, major investment.

It was always a stupid appointment. (In other news: Woy has appointed Gary Neville as an England coach.)

Aston Villa can confirm that Alex McLeish's contract has been terminated with immediate effect.

The club has been disappointed with this season's results, performances and the general message these have sent to our fans.

The board wishes to assure supporters that we are conscious in every sense that Villa expects and deserves more and we will strive to deliver this.

Villa chairman Randy Lerner said: "We need to be clear and candid with ourselves and with supporters about what we have lacked in recent years.

"Compelling play and results that instil a sense of confidence that Villa is on the right track have been plainly absent.

"The most immediate action that we can take is to look carefully at our options in terms of bringing in a new manager who sees the club's potential and embraces our collective expectations."

Chief Executive Paul Faulkner said: "We'd like to thank Alex for his hard work and efforts throughout this tough season.

"We are mindful of the club's need to prepare thoroughly for the new campaign and for the new manager to be able to begin working with the board so that he is quickly immersed in these preparations and also in the long-term objectives of the club.

"Our focus now will be driven by these imperatives and we will update when appropriate."

His been shit, but they've had some insane injury problems aswell. The negative tactics prob was the worst mind

Shay Given ‏ @No1shaygiven

Sorry to see Mc Leish go as he is a good man. But the fans wishes have been granted so we need to respect them as they are the soul of club

Lerner started out like Henry - all smart PR and fan-friendly gestures - and then seemed to lose heart. I don't see what he wants to get from the club now. Sadly FSG seem to be moving with uncharacteristic speed in the same direction.

I don't know mate. I'm just increasingly disillusioned with them. Maybe they're frustrated with the stadium issue. Maybe they've realised they don't understand football. I don't trust them at all.

For once I'm not sure I agree. I like the fact that they've acted decisively over this season's failings. Jury's still out obv.but, as with Kenny, I think it's too soon to write them off.

I'd be happier if there was more explanation. A night of the long knives is one thing, but a series of them is a bit bewildering when there's no obvious coherence. We should be starting talks with our summer targets but we don't have anyone doing the apparently crucial job of DoF. We should be reaching a decision about the stadium but Henry's still wandering around the streets around the Main Stand like Banquo's ghost. And they've invited a TV team in to film us when we seem to be in the middle of an humiliating period of internal revision that could see our greatest ex-player be booted out the club. For the first time in my life I can see myself soon blocking out everything about the club along with the rest of a sport that for me has lost its soul.

Lerner started out like Henry - all smart PR and fan-friendly gestures - and then seemed to lose heart. I don't see what he wants to get from the club now. Sadly FSG seem to be moving with uncharacteristic speed in the same direction.

he didn't lose heart.

He lent the club 90m with the goal of CL football. O'Neill spent that money largely on shite players, then when O'Neill found out there wouldn't be another massive overspend he left. Lerner is reducing the losses and rebuilding.

I can see the reducing the losses part, but his first attempt at rebuilding was to poach Birmingham's dour manager? I can see why Villa's fans don't look forwards with any confidence.

I can see the reducing the losses part, but his first attempt at rebuilding was to poach Birmingham's dour manager? I can see why Villa's fans don't look forwards with any confidence.

Yeah it was a strange choice, but that team was going to fall back regardless of who was put in charge.

Yes. It must be bloody hell owning a club these days. Unless you're a billionaire. Maybe even then!

McLeish is shit. He got Brum relegated and Villa just about escaped with their balls in hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom