• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Melbourne Heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieM

SCM's resident Beer Nazi, Wine Snob & Comic Geek
Honorary Member
A-League kicks off today, with the first game being the Melbourne Derby.

Despite this being only Melbourne Heart's 3rd season, they finished higher than Victory last season and played in the finals series for the first time.

Original coach, the Dutchman, John can Schip, who was Van Bastens assistant at Ajax, has departed and been replaced by former player and youth team coach John Aloisi - who played for Coventry & had some success in Spain as a player.

Van Schip instilled a typical Ajax style, based on a 4231, ball retention and technical ability.

Watching Heart over the few last seasons was a bit like watching Liverpool - majority of the play, couldn't finish off chances and opposition teams usually scored late on to take the points.

Key player is the captain, Fred, a Brazilian who also spent time with DC United in the states.

Other key players are veteran CB Simon Collisomo, who had a short spell at Man City, new signing Richard Garcia, who played for Bradford in the Premier League.

Other possible familiar names to some are Steven Grey (Drogheda & Derry City), Dylan McAllister (various Norwegian clubs).

I'll put more info up later.

A solid 2-1 victory for the Heart against their rivals.

Always nice when the red half beats the blue half of the city :)

Del Piero's Sydney FC beaten 2-0 by Wellington Pheonix.

Shinji Ono, starts on the bench for Sydney Wanderers in their first A-League game against Central Coast Marriners.

Heskeys's Newcastle Jets play tomorrow.

So - Victory got destroyed by Brisbane and both Heskey & Del Piero scored as Newcastle beat Sydney 3-2.

Today is Melbourne Hearts first home game against New Zealand team Wellington Phoenix and I'm off to the game. Standard march day fayre - meet at the pub (the Imperial - which isn't much of a change for me), few beers and then down to the game.

Phoenix are a decent team - finishing in the top four last season and starting with a comfortable win over Sydney last week.

These are the sort of games Heart gave to win if they are going to challenge this year. It's a beautiful sunny afternoon, so let's hope the football is as good.

A frustrating 1-1 draw. Heart took the lead through a well taken Matt Thompson goal following a quick counter in the first half. While not controlling the game, Heart should probably have added to the total missing a few chances.

Disaster struck 2 minutes into the second half when CB Simon Colosimo handled a goal bound shot on the line - straight red & Phoenix scored from the penalty.

Phoenix took the initiative and pressed hard and looked more likely to score, but as the match continued, Heart reasserted themselves and created several clear cut chances to win the game, which they should have taken.

A reasonable result, watching in glorious sunshine by a crowd of just over 10,000, which is pretty good by A-League standards.

Next up a very tricky trip away to Perth Glory.

A reasonable result, watching in glorious sunshine by a crowd of just over 10,000, which is pretty good by A-League standards.

I was just reading , the average was just over 10k last season , although the Victory were getting 20k . Already this season the melbourne derby had 42000 and Del Piero V Heskey got 35k . So the market and interest is there , although obviously the Sydney crowd will drop as the buzz wears off and if results don't improve .

It would be great if the league can continue to kick on and attract a few more "marquee" players . I understand the reasons for the salary cap but lets be honest , people want to see decent quality so it wouldn't be the worst if that was loosened to attract that sort of player .

Sydney derby this weekend , wonder if it has the potential to kick off !

Vince Grella just signed for Melbourne Heart, which will help strengthen the midfield.

Heart are playing a 433 not dissimilar to Liverpool, with Matt Thompson & Richard Garcia holding and Fred getting forward.

Up front, Mate Dugandzic & David Williams are providing width, while Dylan MaCallister playing through the centre.

Tadic played instead of Williams in the last game due to a bout of gastro.

Colosimo is out for the Perth game on sunday, which will probably mean a start for young David Vrankovic or Irishman Steven Gray.

Grella won't be available until after the Perth game.

I was just reading , the average was just over 10k last season , although the Victory were getting 20k . Already this season the melbourne derby had 42000 and Del Piero V Heskey got 35k . So the market and interest is there , although obviously the Sydney crowd will drop as the buzz wears off and if results don't improve .

It would be great if the league can continue to kick on and attract a few more "marquee" players . I understand the reasons for the salary cap but lets be honest , people want to see decent quality so it wouldn't be the worst if that was loosened to attract that sort of player .

Sydney derby this weekend , wonder if it has the potential to kick off !

I agree.

I've also heard that Man City & Real Madrid will be coming for pre-season friendlies next year - part of a deal with Ethiad, which will create huge Intetesting. The hype last time Beckham played here was unreal.

Heart travel to Perth for a difficult 3rd fixture and a chance to establish their credentials as title contenders.

Perth, have had the jump on Heart in recent seasons, knocking Heart out of finals last season and smashing 5 past them in preseason.

The source of all that pain us usually Kiwi striker Shan Smeltz, who scored all 3 in last seasons finals game. Fortunately for Heart, Smeltz is injured for this game.

Perth are currently managed by ex-Glasgow Rangers hard man, Ian Ferguson, but have had plenty is connection to Liverpool, with Steve MacMahon having an unsuccessful stint as manager & Robbie Fowler spending the season there. Their key players, sort from Smeltz, are Ex-Socceroo Jacob Burns, once of Leeds& Liam Miller, once of Man Utd & Celtic.

It's fucking boiling in Perth as well...

Perth win 1-0, leaving Heart in mid table and much to prove.

Home game against Central Coast Marriners next.

Again Hijacking your thread .....I must admit so far I've been impressed by both Del Piero's and Heskey's attitude , both seem pretty motivated to put some effort in and so far don't appear to be here just for the holiday .

Yep - and there is definitely more interest in the competition this season.

To think, Newcastle Jets were pretty close to ceasing to exist towards the end of last season.

Better buzz about the A-League at the moment, undoubtedly due to those signings. The Glory's stadium is being refurbed so I'm sure the home attendance v the Heart last week was poor, but half the ground is shut.
The A-League (or previous incarnations) has seen this before though, raised standards and interest, big crowds etc. Then it waned. The trick is keeping it going.

Goal machine Emile Heskey scored twice in 2 minutes to destroy Melbourne Victory.

Poor showing by Heart against central Coast, a team they consistently struggle against.

First half was about as exciting as watching plastic bags floating in the wind.

Second half wasn't much better, and Heart woke themselves from their slumber after Central Coast had scored directly from a free kick just outside the area.

Heart should have equalized with Tadic finding the keeper from close range instead of the back of the net when clean through. A draw would probably been right as Central Coast were more than content with a 1-0 win, but 1-0 is how it finished.

Heart are now 9th, with only arch rivals Melbourne Victory below them. Friday night bring a trip to away team Western Sydney Wanderers and hopefully a chance to pick up 3 points and get the season going.

A young Manager taking over the red half of the city and having got cope with the weight of expectation of a team starved of, yet hungry for success. An emphasis on youth, playing a 4-2-3-1 possession style, but the team spend more time passing the ball round the back 4 and quickly run out of ideas in the final third, with chances constantly spurned and matches that should be won, drawn or lost.

And people ask me why, as a Liverpool fan, I follow Melbourne Heart?

Heart took on Western Sydney Wanderers on Friday night, a team that didn't exist a few months ago and conspired to loose and with Melbourne Victory winning earlier today, are now rooted to the bottom of the league. With a home tie against current Champions, Brisbane Roar on Friday night things are begiunning to look bleak.

Too good to do down.... eeerrrrrr.... yes..... but mainly because there is no relegation. Manager John Aloisi has taken to constantly shuffling his starting eleven with no set starting eleven. Injuries have played their part with Captain and arguably best player, Fred, out injured as well as key forward Dylan McAllister, but it's begining to look like a tough season, unless results start to turn around.

The only positive form the game, and an example of just how different football is over here. Heart gave a debut to a young lad called Sam Mitchison on Friday n ight. A left back, born in Birmingham, but grew up in Perth and played once for Perth Glory before moving to Melbourne to join the Heart youth set-up at the start of the season. He's just turned 20 and had been playing for a local side (Oakleigh Cannons) at the start of the season - which makes him one Division above the team Ryan O'Hare plays for.

Until a few weeks ago, I employed Sam as a glass collector in my pub as he was "a bit short of cash". He's still on the books of my pub, but after telling me that he was likely to be available most weekends, it made finding shifts a little bit challenging.

To be honest, I hope he's better at football than bar work.... but it's a bit like a glass collector at the Harry turning out for Liverpool... the scary thing is... I almost expect Rodgers to do something like that.

So.... at home to Brisbane Roar, current champions.... Heart are bottom of the League and haven't won a home game since half way through last season.... poor run of form... can't score.... can't stop conceeding..... You know what happens next, don't you????

Melbourne Heart 4 - 1 Brisbane Roar.

Anyway, Hearts were decebt value for their win. They played well, and wjile Brisbane were poor, the scoreline didn't flatter at all. Heart took their chances, but you could see the confidence grow - going from too many touches when a chance presents, to being a little more clinical in front of goal - players not needing to think about things... just doing.

THe star of the sgow is Aziz Behich, the 21 year old LB whgo got a call up to the national Team for a friendly against Korea next week. Blessed with pace and technical ability if not height, Behich will be picked up by someone in Europe at the end of this season for a bargin and I think he has enough about his game to become a good player - maybe not world class, but he's got the talent.

Fair to say that Heart are on the radar of some clubs in Europe for their focus on youth developmemt. David Vrankovic, a yound CB looks promising as well - with Newcastle picking up Curtis Good and Red Star Belgrade taking Eli Babilj at the start of the season, both for relative peanuts, things are looking interesting.

Fair way to go - as being consistent is the key and the games won't get easier. with Adelaide away followed by a home game against Newcastle and goal machine Emile Heskey up next.... but this was a victory to savour.

Heart have never scored 4 goals at home before... so it was.... you know... fun.

1-0 defeat away to table topping Adelaide leaves Heart down in 9th with only Del Piero's Sydney FC propping up the table - mind you only 3 points between 4th & 9th.

Next yo is a home game to Newcastle & Mr Heskey, who were belted 3-0 at home to Wellington earlier today.

Today I, or my pub to be exact, sponsored Mate Dugandžić, the young Heart forward.

So we can call the sites sponsored player for shits & giggles as well.

So.... at home to Brisbane Roar, current champions.... Heart are bottom of the League and haven't won a home game since half way through last season.... poor run of form... can't score.... can't stop conceeding..... You know what happens next, don't you????

Melbourne Heart 4 - 1 Brisbane Roar.

Anyway, Hearts were decebt value for their win. They played well, and wjile Brisbane were poor, the scoreline didn't flatter at all. Heart took their chances, but you could see the confidence grow - going from too many touches when a chance presents, to being a little more clinical in front of goal - players not needing to think about things... just doing.

THe star of the sgow is Aziz Behich, the 21 year old LB whgo got a call up to the national Team for a friendly against Korea next week. Blessed with pace and technical ability if not height, Behich will be picked up by someone in Europe at the end of this season for a bargin and I think he has enough about his game to become a good player - maybe not world class, but he's got the talent.

Fair to say that Heart are on the radar of some clubs in Europe for their focus on youth developmemt. David Vrankovic, a yound CB looks promising as well - with Newcastle picking up Curtis Good and Red Star Belgrade taking Eli Babilj at the start of the season, both for relative peanuts, things are looking interesting.

Fair way to go - as being consistent is the key and the games won't get easier. with Adelaide away followed by a home game against Newcastle and goal machine Emile Heskey up next.... but this was a victory to savour.

Heart have never scored 4 goals at home before... so it was.... you know... fun.

Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom