1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Michael Oliver: I got it wrong(ish)

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by gkmacca, Jan 10, 2021.

1. gkmacca

gkmacca SCM Addict Member

Well done, ref, it only took you about three months to reflect on the decision (and yet he still seems ready to contradict himself in the space of a few sentences - hardly reassuring for his on-pitch judgements):

The referee Michael Oliver reckons Pickford didn't go in with the intent to do harm, but knows more thought should have been given to the challenge itself, rather than the surrounding circumstances. Had that happened, he says the outcome would have been different.

He told the print edition of the Mail on Sunday: "It was a big game. Both teams were flying. The assistant has given offside and there is a delay in the flag as we have had this season. Jordan Pickford then comes out to Virgil.

"The thought initially was, it can't be a penalty if it's offside so we need to check the offside first. I think I said to VAR that 'if it's not offside, I'm going to give a penalty.'

"I have watched it back so many times. I don't think Pickford has done anything apart from try to spread himself but he did it in the wrong way, as the injury has shown.

"We have all, myself included, not thought about the challenge as much as we should have done.

We could still have given offside and sent Pickford off. What I was surprised about afterwards was that nothing was expected on-field in terms of a red card. None of the players were asking for that.

"We got sucked too much into going step-by-step as opposed to thinking about the bigger process, which was considering the challenge itself and not just the fact that it can't be a penalty. We should have restarted with the offside, as we did, but with a different punishment for Jordan Pickford."

2. tombrown

tombrown Part of the Furniture Member

So its the Liverpool players' fault for not demanding a red card ... actually I thought telling the ref to give a card was technically a bookable offence, so its the Liverpool players' fault for obeying the rules

lfc.eddie, Stevesquash, SaRed and 2 others like this.
  3. gkmacca

He also doesn't seem to have taken into account that the players were too stunned and horrified by what happened to VVD to start demanding anything. But as you say, for a ref to use players' non-attempts to bully him into sending someone off as an excuse for not sending him off is really spectacularly disingenuous as well as cowardly.

rurikbird and Donavan Ried like this.
  4. The Nomad

The Nomad Well-Known Member

I still think Oliver is the best ref we have in this country, and for him to finally admit he was wrong and can improve should be commended.

Imagine if it was Clattenburg.. he'd still be denying it was the wrong call till his dying day.

Frogfish, Stevesquash and RedStar like this.
  5. Red Bird

Red Bird Very Active Member

I have heard this refrain many times from commentators-- things such as they didn't appeal or no protest from blah blah blah ...

6. darkstarexodus

darkstarexodus Very Well-Known Member

I really dont want to read this from Oliver. I've just about gotten over the injustice of the injury and the non-call and now I'm fucking steaming again.

7. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

Agree, he cant undo whats been done but hes explaining how it happened and why it shouldnt have. I respect that alot more than somebody that decides to take it to the grave with them.

LeTallecWiz and mark1975 like this.
  8. Dirty Sanchez

Dirty Sanchez I Moustache You a Question Member

Well - Klopp asked the FA for a review. Now he has one. So what the fuck are they going to do about it?

The "zero-consequences" approach to shit refereeing decisions is what totally gets to me. Why can't Pickford be retroactively carded, or banned, or fined? Why can't Oliver be demoted? Why can't we be awarded damages for the difference in league position finish had we won that game? Or the points be reversed etc.

Oliver's reference to "no on-field" ask for a red card as influential in his decision is just utter nonsense. It's part of why players have to go to ground in order to win penalties - rather than the offense itself being enough to create the penalty award. The way they process decisions promotes diving, and theatrics, and waving imaginary cards. And it's totally on them.

Refereeing has been utterly pathetic this season.

9. Donavan Ried

Donavan Ried Minamino our new Japanese Brazilian Member

Been making this point for what seems like forever now...

If Retroactive Cards where given It would stop a lot or these things such as the diving to win penalties, deliberate and dangerous fouls, fouls and stamps off the ball such a the Ramos/Salah CL foul and the Ramos elbow on Karius
    OK it would have still robbed us of the CL final, but Can you imagine Real meeting Bayern, or Juve in the following years group stage of the CL, only for the ref to wait just before the kick off to turn to Ramos and hand him that Red Card meaning that Real would have to play not only with 10 men but have to use a sub if the wish to change things, and lose him for three CL matches

10. gkmacca

It's like the scene in Annie Hall where someone's showing off their canned laughter machine: 'Have you got booing on that?' Refs can't be criticised, even though they can dish out the criticism of everyone else. Players complain about them? Booking. Managers complain about them? A booking, or a ban from the dugout and an FA fine. When they're protected that much they know they can get away with this nonsense.

11. Woland

Woland Part of the Furniture Member

I think the whole getting banned thing is weird too. Say Fernandes gets a red against us next week and misses his next game, how does that help us when they're playing some shit the next week? He should be banned in the next game against us.

I appreciate this is a weird opinion but I've had it for a while and it's time to fucking talk about it

12. momoWASboss

momoWASboss Very Well-Known Member

I’ve been thinking the same for years.

Hass and Woland like this.
  13. The Nomad

The Nomad Well-Known Member

How about 3 game ban.
    Next two in order..  then next game against the same opposition?

RedStar, Markeh and momoWASboss like this.
  14. momoWASboss

Yep. At least one game of the ban must be against the same opposition. If the player changes clubs he’ll still miss out against that team.

15. Woland

Woland Part of the Furniture Member

Something like that. There should be some benefit to the side that got fucked over

16. Dirty Sanchez

Dirty Sanchez I Moustache You a Question Member

Seems like a brilliant idea to me.

17. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

What if he moves to the club hes banned against?

18. momoWASboss

He is in a vortex which eats the player and creates a planet consuming black hole.

Probably it would be a suspension for the first competitive tie following the move.

19. Jack D Rips

Jack D Rips Very Well-Known Member

How about a red for dangerous play and you cant play again until the injured player can?

Dirty Sanchez and momoWASboss like this.
  20. Dreambeliever

Dreambeliever From Doubter to Believer -Cashed out to Cashed Up Member

Interesting idea.