• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New Test cricket captain

Judge Jules

6CM Addict
Cook's resigned as skipper and every commentator seems to think Root will succeed him. Root's a tough little customer but I'm worried this may be rather soon for him.

Views?

It's not too soon, but it is a stupid risk to gamble with the future form of your best batsmen. Unless you have supreme concentration abilities like Boycott, the distraction of being captain is not going to be good for that player. In this situation they're better off going for a bowler, who doesn't really need to concentrate, and can actually make use of the captaincy to selfishly set the field he needs to take wickets. I don't rate any of their bowlers, they're all predicable and safe. So then, that just leaves the wicket keeper. Buttler should get the job through a process of elimination.

He'll be less conservative than Cook but it may impact his own game for a while.

If he gets it - and he probably will - it's interesting to see the four best batsmen in the world will all be captains of their respective countries. Smith, Kohli, Williamson and now Root.

Back to the good old days when the best player was always your captain.

When I referred to this being possibly too soon, what I had in mind was the possible effect of the captaincy on Root's all-round game, to which you've both alluded. I was wondering whether an older player might be better equipped to handle that extra pressure. That said, I expect Root would give his eye teeth for the job and perhaps his game would be affected if he doesn't get it now.

Who's in the frame, JJ? None of the bowlers are captaincy material and Root is about the most experienced batsman now. Young JB? Root almost gets it by default. But, like you guys, I'd rather see someone else get it.

Utter madness to burden Root with the captaincy now with the Ashes coming up. He has just had his first kid too, so has an awful lot going on in his life at the moment, its likely to affect his form and we need him performing to his top level with all the rookies in the top order. I am a bit disappointed by Cook's decision, he could have waited until next year for the good of the team.
JJ I think Broad would be a good pick as a temporary fix, there is hardly any other candidate really. Bairstow perhaps, the keeper has the best view of the game after all. However it is incredibly strenuous to be a top flight batsman, keeper and captain - ask AB, it nearly burnt him out.

Bairstow is only preferred thanks to his arguably superior batting. Once you make him captain that will soon turn to shit, so instead of wasting a year watching that come to pass as predictably as night follows day, it makes sense to just bring Buttler back in now as the new captain. He can't bat for shit anyway, so has no downside in devoting his mind to captaincy.

Graeme Swann was on the radio saying much the same thing - basically youre taking a chance of someone who could possibly go on to become Englands greatest ever player, to fill what is often a poisoned chalice of a role. Clearly he's mates with Broad, but thats who he was pushing for - pitching a bit of experience and nous.

Although I would imagine someone would have to have the right of veto when Stuart limps in for his 27th over of a spell having resorted to bowling underarm through fatigue, but still refusing to take himself off...

There really isn't any stand out candidates. The selectors will go for Root having seen the success Kohli and Smith have had for India and Australia respectively.

However who else could we choose?

Anderson - Towards the latter end of his career, and I'm not a fan of bowlers being captains

Broad - A younger version but bowler.

Bairstow - Intriguing option, but not enough experience at test level, around 2/3 years short.

Stokes - As Bairstow, I expect he may become vice captain under Root.

Broad is no way an all rounder. He's a bowler who can bat a little bit. Similar to M.Johnson for Australia when he was playing.

No surprise then with Root's appointment, but Ben Stokes as vice captain? Surely his fuse is far too short for the job, with the punitive schedule and Root's ongoing bad back he is bound to be captain somewhere during the 11 tests in 2017. He seems a little too intense for the role if you ask me.

See my post above. I should have bet on it. You need two characters that compliment each other. In my view Roots calmness, and Stokes brashness will dovetail very well.

Back
Top Bottom