• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NHL Thread 2010/11

SaintGeorge67

Well-Known
Starts on Thursday.

Now I know my Pens probably won't win it this year, but ESPN have the Kings ranked higher than them. The fucking Kings?

This was a promising offseason for my Bolts but I'm interested to see if the team is as improved as it stands to be. Anyways, Stevie Y is one of my heroes and I am very excited to have him helming my franchise.

I've decided to support a team from each of the big 4 American sports this year.

Which team should I support in the NHL?

I'm looking for a team that's well liked and a dark horse to win the Stanley Cup.

Any suggestions?

The Kings? Woah, that's crazy. DSE - analysis please!

Well, the Stars let go of Modano and Turco, and I don't really see making much noise at all this season. I'd be happy with a playoff spot but I'm skeptical.

Baffles me too, guys. TSN (Canada's sports network) has them listed at 5th in the league. They've got great young goaltending, a couple snipers up front (Kopitar is the real deal) and a genuine Norris-calibre two-way defenseman in Doughty but I just don't see them as one of the elite yet. They do have a lot of cap space and could yet make a splash and they are definitely a team on the rise, but fifth???

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=42149.msg1188800#msg1188800 date=1286250790]
I've decided to support a team from each of the big 4 American sports this year.

I'm looking for a team that's well liked and a dark horse to win the Stanley Cup.

Any suggestions?
[/quote]

Buffalo Sabres.

Really impressed with the Stars ... I didn't think this kind of play was possible ...

On a sad note, Pierre Turegon's 18 year old daughter died in a car accident in New Mexico yesterday.

My Bolts are topping the division thanks to a bad Capitals skid. Didn't see that happening, especially with Lecavalier completely unable to produce. Considering he has such an imposing collection of natural talents, perhaps the most so in the game, his career is off the rails lately.

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=42149.msg1188800#msg1188800 date=1286250790]

Any suggestions?
[/quote]

The. Boston. Bruins.

End of.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=42149.msg1238531#msg1238531 date=1293592636]
;D
[/quote]

At least they hold some good draft picks...

Red Wings all the way! Although I haven't seen much of them this season yet, that'll change. I'm a bit dubious of them signing Modano, not cos of his ability, but back in the day of Shanahan, Lang, etc, I used to hate Modano and the stars, little bit of a local rival I had here with some friends!

I'm quite interested in seeing how the Kings to this season, i'm a big fan of Kopitar, cracking player.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=42149.msg1285469#msg1285469 date=1297713787]
Well said Mario. About fucking time someone did.
[/quote]

?

What did he say?

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=42149.msg1285469#msg1285469 date=1297713787]
Well said Mario. About fucking time someone did.
[/quote]

Would hold more weight if his own player didn't recently (possibly) end the career of Marc Savard.

Maybe. As I've said before, I find it amazing that there is so much leeway for thuggery in the NHL. It's fucking ridiculous.

Pens trade for Kovalev (again) and James Neal/Matt Niskanen.

If Crosby's out for the rest of the season the league will look even dumber than they already do over the whole issue. Stand up fights are one thing, but the blind hits are another altogether. You'd have thought the diabolical thuggery on Steve Moore years ago would have cleared it up. I mean, if they're not going to do anything, then if I was a coach of a shit side I'd be sending out humps to KO players right at the start of every game.

It's across the sport in North America too. Michael Nylander was destroyed being put into the boards playing for the Rochester Americans a few months ago. He had fusion surgery on a broken neck, and at his age he might not be back.

My Lightning are up 3-0!!! I was originally planning on maybe heading down to Tampa for a game if they made the Conference finals but now that they're playing so well I may just hold out hope they make the Cup Finals and try to get tix for that instead. I would LOVE to go a Finals game. I missed out on going in 2004 when they won because I didn't want to take the chance booking a trip for Game 7 knowing there would be no guarantee that there would be a Game 7 (and of course, there was and they won).

Excited!

I became a Lightning fan when they drafted Lecavalier (and Richards) in 1998. I followed Lecavalier's junior career in Rimouski and thought he would be the next Lemieux (unfortunately hasn't happened) and decided to support whichever team he went to. I suffered through the three consecutive 50-loss seasons and then watched as the team finally developed into a powerhouse with the legendary Tortorella (I created a John Tortorella fan group on Facebook, which still exists, albeit not very actively) at the helm. I caught so much flak (and received actual physical threats) for supporting the Lightning during their 2004 Cup run, esp when they played Montreal and Calgary.

My argument then (and to a large extent now) was that the Lightning actually had more Canadian players on their team than Calgary (or Montreal) did, featuring stalwart Canadian national team players like Lecavalier, Richards, St Louis (and now Stamkos). Also, Khabibulin, who was tending for them at the time, is a former Winnipeg Jet. They played an exciting, up-tempo brand of hockey (not so much now, but they still have explosive offensive talent). Guy Boucher as a coach was someone I admired for his work with Hamilton in the AHL (routinely getting the best of my Manitoba Moose) and Steve Yzerman is a legend to me and was always one of my favourite players growing up. Having him as General Manager makes me so pleased and he has done fantastically this season. Finally, two members of the Tampa coaching staff were born and raised in Winnipeg. The last couple seasons have been rough as a supporter but this playoff run has been outstanding so far.

I also like their jerseys.... :D

If Tampa manages to make the Finals, I'm planning on going down there and getting tickets to Games 3 and 4. Best case scenario for me is a Vancouver-Tampa final.

Actually, the closest NHL team to me, geographically, is the Minnesota Wild, followed by Chicago (unless Phoenix or Atlanta move to Winnipeg, which is where I'm from originally). I usually wish the Canadian teams well (bar Toronto, whose consistent misery makes me happy) but don't feel a particular allegiance to any of them. So the question is somewhat similar to asking a Liverpudlian why they wouldn't support Tottenham or Chelsea in the Champions League, really.

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=42149.msg1327594#msg1327594 date=1304663127]
I became a Lightning fan when they drafted Lecavalier (and Richards) in 1998. I followed Lecavalier's junior career in Rimouski and thought he would be the next Lemieux (unfortunately hasn't happened) and decided to support whichever team he went to. I suffered through the three consecutive 50-loss seasons and then watched as the team finally developed into a powerhouse with the legendary Tortorella (I created a John Tortorella fan group on Facebook, which still exists, albeit not very actively) at the helm. I caught so much flak (and received actual physical threats) for supporting the Lightning during their 2004 Cup run, esp when they played Montreal and Calgary.

My argument then (and to a large extent now) was that the Lightning actually had more Canadian players on their team than Calgary (or Montreal) did, featuring stalwart Canadian national team players like Lecavalier, Richards, St Louis (and now Stamkos). Also, Khabibulin, who was tending for them at the time, is a former Winnipeg Jet. They played an exciting, up-tempo brand of hockey (not so much now, but they still have explosive offensive talent). Guy Boucher as a coach was someone I admired for his work with Hamilton in the AHL (routinely getting the best of my Manitoba Moose) and Steve Yzerman is a legend to me and was always one of my favourite players growing up. Having him as General Manager makes me so pleased and he has done fantastically this season. Finally, two members of the Tampa coaching staff were born and raised in Winnipeg. The last couple seasons have been rough as a supporter but this playoff run has been outstanding so far.

I also like their jerseys.... :D

If Tampa manages to make the Finals, I'm planning on going down there and getting tickets to Games 3 and 4. Best case scenario for me is a Vancouver-Tampa final.

Actually, the closest NHL team to me, geographically, is the Minnesota Wild, followed by Chicago (unless Phoenix or Atlanta move to Winnipeg, which is where I'm from originally). I usually wish the Canadian teams well (bar Toronto, whose consistent misery makes me happy) but don't feel a particular allegiance to any of them. So the question is somewhat similar to asking a Liverpudlian why they wouldn't support Tottenham or Chelsea in the Champions League, really.

[/quote]

You know I always had the impression that Canadiens don't really like the US. Hence the question.

Many don't but, to me, that's a sign of a complicated inferiority/superiority complex that many Canadians have. It's popular/trendy not to like the States (particularly during Bush II's time in office) but there is also a very significant minority of Canadians who envy America and would like to see more American-style institutions in Canada. (And Canada itself is somewhat torn by regional concerns as well: Westerners don't like Ontario, Ontario thinks it's the centre of the universe, Albertans are stuck up like "new money", everyone has contempt for Quebec, nobody respects the Maritimes, the Maritimes feel neglected, and everyone forgets about the North.)

Personally, I love the United States. It has its flaws, like any other country but I've travelled far and wide throughout America and find the average American to be exceedingly friendly and welcoming (perhaps because I don't usually discuss religion or politics with people I just met). It's a beautiful country with such a wide variety of geography and culture and, now that the Canadian dollar is worth slightly more than the American, quite affordable to visit as well. I've been to both Florida and California in the past 6 weeks + I'm hoping to go to Vegas in June. I've seen most of the western and midwestern USA and would like to see more of the eastern seaboard when I get the opportunity.

I'm actually considering moving to Miami next year.

Don't get me wrong, I love Canada and am proud to be a Canadian but I certainly don't hate on America.

Martin St Louis played for my Lausanne team during the lock out 5-6 years ago...What a player and nice man he was/is.

And yeah Go Bruins!

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=42149.msg1327956#msg1327956 date=1304701037]
Many don't but, to me, that's a sign of a complicated inferiority/superiority complex that many Canadians have. It's popular/trendy not to like the States (particularly during Bush II's time in office) but there is also a very significant minority of Canadians who envy America and would like to see more American-style institutions in Canada. (And Canada itself is somewhat torn by regional concerns as well: Westerners don't like Ontario, Ontario thinks it's the centre of the universe, Albertans are stuck up like "new money", everyone has contempt for Quebec, nobody respects the Maritimes, the Maritimes feel neglected, and everyone forgets about the North.)

Personally, I love the United States. It has its flaws, like any other country but I've travelled far and wide throughout America and find the average American to be exceedingly friendly and welcoming (perhaps because I don't usually discuss religion or politics with people I just met). It's a beautiful country with such a wide variety of geography and culture and, now that the Canadian dollar is worth slightly more than the American, quite affordable to visit as well. I've been to both Florida and California in the past 6 weeks + I'm hoping to go to Vegas in June. I've seen most of the western and midwestern USA and would like to see more of the eastern seaboard when I get the opportunity.

I'm actually considering moving to Miami next year.

Don't get me wrong, I love Canada and am proud to be a Canadian but I certainly don't hate on America.
[/quote]

Excellent post.

Great game from the Bolts. The first several minutes of the game was frantic, back and forth action before Bergenheim's goal broke things open and by the time the Bruins recovered they were in a 3-0 hole. Won me $20 of my roommate for the game and I'm one-quarter closer to making a trip to Florida.

Back
Top Bottom