• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Nuri Şahin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary25

Well-Known
Anyone else a little unimpressed? I am.

It's very early days of course but i expected more. He's clearly got a bit of a skill and class about him but he just doesn't do enough over a 90 minutes, drifts in and out of the game.

With Allen being the holding player and Gerrard not having the legs any longer surely Şahin should be busting his balls to support Suarez and be a goal threat.

He's scored a few goals fair enough but you'd still expect more productivity from him in the final third.

He's being played too far up imo - it's not his favorite position. He's played decently, but not to his level. The one thing I'm happy about is he seems happy here - and he's the kind of player you want to build the squad on (if it's possible to sign him at all). He's also got a good chemistry with Suarez it seems -

He is terrible at tracking back. This is my biggest complaint about him.
Maybe he is only mildly interested in being here for a year.
He seems fairly intelligent and well spoken though, which is good to see in a modern footballer.

He is terrible at tracking back. This is my biggest complaint about him.
Maybe he is only mildly interested in being here for a year.
He seems fairly intelligent and well spoken though, which is good to see in a modern footballer.

Really? Never noticed that - seems like he works very hard defensively but has been told to push up while Gerrard (odd) and Allen hold the defensive responsibilities of the middle.

He's being played too far up imo - it's not his favorite position. He's played decently, but not to his level. The one thing I'm happy about is he seems happy here - and he's the kind of player you want to build the squad on (if it's possible to sign him at all). He's also got a good chemistry with Suarez it seems -

Yeah, possibly. We seem to have too many midfielders that are more comfortable playing further back.
Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Gerrard(nowadays) and Şahin. Shelvey's the only one who's attack minded.

Any wonder we're fucked when it comes to scoring goal.

It's maddening and baffling that he is playing further forward than Gerrard. He should be sitting and dictating the play ala Alonso.

If I could ask Rodgers just one question, that would be it: why he chose to play Gerrard further back than Şahin. From everything I know about both players, it should be the other way around. They interchange sometimes, but not nearly often enough. Şahin is not being played to his strengths at the moment.

From what I have seen of Şahin so far, he's no Alonso - let's hope he becomes one. He seems to be a passenger rather than a match-winner.

If I could ask Rodgers just one question, that would be it: why he chose to play Gerrard further back than Şahin. From everything I know about both players, it should be the other way around. They interchange sometimes, but not nearly often enough. Şahin is not being played to his strengths at the moment.
Exactly this. The difference this one change will make to the team can't be understated.

He's hardly played in the past year and is now finding his feet in a very different league.

He'll improve as the season progresses.

And some thought he is the best since sliced bread when he came on loan.

I like him and what he offers. Still a little lacking on freshness, but a midfileder actively seeking the box is a very pleasant surprise for us.

Don't think he has played **bad***, only that half the forum was jizzing themselves when this guy signed and so people expected a lot more of a impact earlier.

This guy needs time and space at the minuate , he doesn't get that in the premier league.

It is noticeably his best games for us ( against young boys and west brom in the cup) have been when has had freedm to dictate play. Stand on top of this guy and he seems static.

Compared to Allen who is always moving round the pitch.

I like him, I think he is another one that will also benefit for having a DM behind him, so he can play his natural game.
Maybe re-address this in Jan. Hopefully by then Lucas will be back and match-fit, or Rodgers will have brought in another player to cover him.

He's hardly played in the past year and is now finding his feet in a very different league.

He'll improve as the season progresses.

Precisely. I've seen enough touches of class from him to be confident that will happen, plus he's an excellent fit for Rodgers' style of play.

He'll come good. Very little football in the last year and a half with injuries and adapting to a new league. Anyone that dismisses him obviously hasnt bothered their arse looking into his past and what he did in that dortmund team.

He's just arrived in a new country off the back of an injury-ravaged season at Madrid, where he made only a handful of appearances. Coupled with that, he's playing in a team that is in transition, and still getting to grips with a fundamental change in the style of play. He's clearly an intelligent footballer, he's looked neat and tidy whenever he's played, his technical ability is probably as good as anyone's in our team, and he's given us glimpses of what we can look forward to as he progresses here. I reckon people will be creaming themselves over him by the end of the season.

disappointed in him. he doesn't seem to be a deep lying play maker or have the explosive pace and skill to break into the box.

I think alot of our players are suffering because of a lack of DM in the side. The defense is exposed, the midfielders are compensating by playing deeper, unfamiliar roles (or in Şahin's case, being the least industrious CM we have, he's been pushed forward) and generally, we're quite a small, slight, lightweight side in midfield and attack.

He's very young and has already made it in a massive league, he's had injuries and he's playing for us as we're going through a spell of being short of two or three players who could really make the difference. He's definitely got the skill and movement to make it, it'll just take a bit of time for him to get to grips.

People look back quite fondly at what Meireles did in that solitary season for us. It's worth remembering he didn't score a goal until January that season, against the shite. So he too took time to get to grips, and once he did he was flying.

He's been hit and miss but I'm confident the quality is there.

What I can't understand is him player further forward than Gerrard. Utter madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom