• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

O' Captain! My Captain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's intriguing to think of how Gerrard would have looked in one of the great Liverpool teams. He would have had far less freedom - when you have great players around you, you have to play one role superbly rather than lots of roles as and when the spirit moves you. In that sense the mediocrity of many teams that Steven played in actually made him look so phenomenal, because he had the need to fight fires all over the pitch and the licence to pop up wherever the urge took him. That glorious force of nature would have been constrained, or at least channeled, in, say, one of Paisley's sides. He couldn't have taken the ball off a Souness or a McDermott or a Kennedy. He would have had to have repressed some aspects of the game we know in order to allow another aspect to shine. That's rarely acknowledged when considering his status. And that's probably why, in a bitter-sweet way, we've been able to see the full talent of Steven blossom over the years, because of the Traores, the Biscans, the Kewells, the Ngogs, etc. And what a privilege it's been.

Good god. Even when he was a kid he looked like some proud bulldog who'd just licked a load of piss off a nettle.
I was just thinking that the Steven Gerrard there looks more like the Steven Gerrard of now then he did on his debut as a skinny kid.

That same self confident half smirk remains!

If I could do what he could I'd look like a smug cunt too tbf.

CFJJhkTUIAADVip.jpg

Its sad his last day at Anfield went like that.

He deserved much more

That was a fucking disgrace. Rodgers is out of his depth and shouldn't be cutting his managerial teeth at a club our size. He needs to go and take half that team with him who are masquerading as footballers.

Could be that we have owners who aren't steeped in the game and consult with 'experts' and go with the fashionable view rather than continuing much of the good work done by experienced Managers.

You can't hire a rookie, sell your best player and rely on youth at a big club like Liverpool and it shows. It's going to take something quite expensive and radical to get it back on track.

Think Man U.

How many people paying tribute to him now in this very thread were calling him all the names under the Sun only a few weeks ago?
I fucking wonder.
Yeh, by all means criticise the man, but some of the lack of respect shown toward him was a fucking piss take.

How many people paying tribute to him now in this very thread were calling him all the names under the Sun only a few weeks ago?
I fucking wonder.
Yeh, by all means criticise the man, but some of the lack of respect shown toward him was a fucking piss take.
My mate called me disrespectful the other day cos I said I didn't want him in the side.

I get that. I also get that there is no one else in our squad who can do what he can do.

Problem is similar to back under houiller, when we played better without him according to the stats, cos if he didn't perform the team didn't.

I think it's cos Henderson defers to him so much, so if he Gerrard doesn't deliver Henderson just sits back waiting for him to do it. I was hoping Henderson would grow & surpass that but he clearly can't do that.

I was very sad today, very sad, for a number of reasons, but I hope a silver lining is that Hendo will grow & become his own player next season in stevies absence as he did last season without Steven in the side.

I have no problem with folk wanting him dropped when he's playing badly for a while, but some of the bile and expletives I've seen spat at him on these very boards has beggared belief.
Hendo will kick ass.

Fuck we're going to be the definition of mediocre without him.
The only winner in a squad riddled with chokers.
It is sad we're at this stage now.

Even with my well documented displeasure of him... I still expected him to do something every game,because that's the type of player he is

I've absolutely no idea who's going to give me that kind of thought next season

My mate called me disrespectful the other day cos I said I didn't want him in the side.

I get that. I also get that there is no one else in our squad who can do what he can do.

Problem is similar to back under houiller, when we played better without him according to the stats, cos if he didn't perform the team didn't.

I think it's cos Henderson defers to him so much, so if he Gerrard doesn't deliver Henderson just sits back waiting for him to do it. I was hoping Henderson would grow & surpass that but he clearly can't do that.

I was very sad today, very sad, for a number of reasons, but I hope a silver lining is that Hendo will grow & become his own player next season in stevies absence as he did last season without Steven in the side.
I made a (half tongue in cheek) status on Facebook yesterday and my mate jumped all over me for it.

He's a RAWK fan and enjoys SOS, so i'm not taking it to heart

It's intriguing to think of how Gerrard would have looked in one of the great Liverpool teams. He would have had far less freedom - when you have great players around you, you have to play one role superbly rather than lots of roles as and when the spirit moves you. In that sense the mediocrity of many teams that Steven played in actually made him look so phenomenal, because he had the need to fight fires all over the pitch and the licence to pop up wherever the urge took him. That glorious force of nature would have been constrained, or at least channeled, in, say, one of Paisley's sides. He couldn't have taken the ball off a Souness or a McDermott or a Kennedy. He would have had to have repressed some aspects of the game we know in order to allow another aspect to shine. That's rarely acknowledged when considering his status. And that's probably why, in a bitter-sweet way, we've been able to see the full talent of Steven blossom over the years, because of the Traores, the Biscans, the Kewells, the Ngogs, etc. And what a privilege it's been.
It's a good point you make. Maybe that's why Benitez got the best out of him by channelling him correctly by playing him either on the right hand side of midfield or behind the striker and he had his most productive years goal wise. It probably didn't hurt that at the time he had either Alonso or Mascherano in midfield or an in form Torres up front. It always seemed to me with Gerrard that if he didn't rate a player the he wouldn't trust them to do their job in the team and would try and bypass them by doing it himself but with quality players around him , he was confident enough in their ability to let them get on with it.

Top contribution, Dreamy!
Ha ha. Tired of the whole Gerrard thing now. I can't add anything that hasn't already been said.

I grew with Fowler who I'll always love. Gerrard came after and dragged us to a few trophies we should never have won.
He's arguably the reason half the younger fans support us now.

I'm a little numb, I've got a real meh feeling about us now. We have no winners left in our squad, no soul, no globally recognisable name and no direction.

It's a massive summer for us. I really feel like we could slip away and become 5-8 place team without a Gerrard like force attracting players and driving us forward.

I also don't know why the fuck he isn't kept in the no 10 role as I think he could continue there for 2 more years.

As a cm/dm he has to leave but I don't think it's the only or correct choice.

It's probably hopelessly sentimental of me but I wish Rodgers had told him yesterday, 'It's your last 90 minutes here - go out and play like the Steven Gerrard of old for as long as you can manage'. Instead he went out and looked like old Steven Gerrard. He actually showed more energy in the last testimonial game than in yesterday's game. The media coverage has added to the surreal feel of the occasion, because while they've kept on with the 'he's still their best midfielder/he could have played on for another couple of years' mantra, the evidence in front of fans' eyes has suggested (aside from the couple of goals) he's barely had enough left in the tank to finish now. It was a sad way to go out, walking around the pitch whilst Crystal bloody Palace ran rings around him and his teammates.

Gerrard leaving, sadly, is probably best for all concerned.

He's given everything he has and we've squeezed everything out of him we could.

There's nothing left.

Keeping it going any longer would only prolong the agony and sully the memory further.

I think Rodgers will be glad he's gone as now that he can't maraud around the pitch like he used to the manager has no clue how to get the best out of him. Along with coutinho he probably our best passer of the ball and certainly our best crosser of the ball (maybe not at corners) so why not play him further forwards. We've got Lucas ,allen Henderson and Can to play deeper in midfield and be his legs so to speak but Rodgers hardly ever tried this.
Gerrard was probably a bigger influence to the team than Rodgers could ever hope to be and i think Rodgers was a bit intimidated by this. Probably why he never ever criticised Gerrard throught the time he's managed him even when he had bad performances or the Man Utd sending off, he just didn't want to challenge him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom