• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Oakley Cannonier - from hero to superstar (potentially)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said in another thread, great name for a striker. Cue the phrase "a canon from cannonier."

Anyway, he's just a kid. Btw where's Adam "the new Fowler" Morgan at?

Last edited:
Are we contractually obliged to mention he was the ball boy for that goal every time he comes up.

I suppose it’s better than reminding Billy Gilmore what sort of boy he is.
No, but it does add extra romance besides he isn't that much on the radar yet.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...pool-goal-machine-mourinho-barcelona-21779075

[article]Oakley Cannonier has made a habit of not wasting time at Liverpool.

After all, his place in the Anfield annals was secured long before he even had a chance to threaten the first team.

Cannonier had only days earlier celebrated his 15th birthday when, working as a ballboy, he was involved in one of the most remarkable moments the stadium has ever witnessed, swiftly throwing the ball to Trent Alexander-Arnold and prompting the quickly-taken corner from which Divock Origi completed the Champions League semi-final comeback against Barcelona in May 2019.

His contribution shot Cannonier to national prominence overnight, with his smart-thinking pointed out on national television by Piers Morgan and saluted by managerial giant Jose Mourinho.

"You want a quick throw in, the ballboys need to know you want a quick throw in," said Mourinho. "The ball must arrive fast.

"In this game, the kid, very intelligent, very bright. I don't know if he's an Academy player or not, but the kid knew what he was going to do."

There's no excuse for Mourinho or anyone else now not knowing Cannonier is very much an Academy player for Liverpool.

Indeed, the young forward has this season been determined to forge a Reds reputation as someone who puts the ball into the back of the net rather than throwing it on from the sidelines.

The 17-year-old has netted 12 goals in 10 competitive outings, scoring nine in six matches alone in the U18 Premier League North.

Cannonier, who joined Liverpool at under-12 level having switched from his hometown club Leeds United, has long been touted as one to watch by those working at the Academy.

He scored this first U18s goal in a friendly a few months after his Barcelona intervention, before being fast-tracked to the squad 12 months later.

However, despite four goals in eight outings, his season was hampered by first an ankle injury and then a hamstring complaint that meant he could play no part as his team-mates won through to the FA Youth Cup final where they were beaten 2-1 by Aston Villa.

Small wonder, then, Cannonier's determination to make up for lost ground this campaign, his hat-trick in the 5-0 win over Manchester United the highlight thus far.

“Oakley has started the season really well, but it hasn’t surprised me,” says U18s coach Marc Bridge-Wilkinson. “I’ve worked with him since he was 14 and he always done well.

“The only problem has been that, because of injury, he hasn’t been able to play an awful lot.

"Oakley is a really good player. We’re fortunate that we are going to see him play and injury-free, hopefully.

“None of us at the Academy are surprised by his start. We are really pleased and proud of him and hope he can continue to progress.”

This season has already seen Cannonier test himself at a higher level. He made two brief substitute appearances in the UEFA Youth League clashes with AC Milan and Porto, and can expect further minutes throughout the group stage.

And, with a little more composure, he could easily have netted during a late cameo for a Liverpool U21 side in their EFL Trophy defeat at Bolton Wanderers on Tuesday.

The progress of Cannonier - a boyhood Liverpool fan - has already seen him rewarded with a first professional contract in July, tying him to the club for the next three years.

"I think he would rather be remembered as the Oakley Cannonier that plays today," says Bridge-Wilkinson, recalling the teenager's Barcelona intervention.

"He scores goals, creates chances and threatens the back line.

"It’s nice to be known for other things, but I think he would rather be known for playing football than being on the side of it."

With Liverpool U23s missing a natural number nine as Layton Stewart recovers from the cruciate ligament injury suffered in February, the expectation is Cannonier could be given a run in the higher age group in the coming months.

And, given his outstanding form in recent months, few would be surprised if the youngster once again takes his chance.[/article]

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...pool-goal-machine-mourinho-barcelona-21779075

[article]Oakley Cannonier has made a habit of not wasting time at Liverpool.

After all, his place in the Anfield annals was secured long before he even had a chance to threaten the first team.

Cannonier had only days earlier celebrated his 15th birthday when, working as a ballboy, he was involved in one of the most remarkable moments the stadium has ever witnessed, swiftly throwing the ball to Trent Alexander-Arnold and prompting the quickly-taken corner from which Divock Origi completed the Champions League semi-final comeback against Barcelona in May 2019.

His contribution shot Cannonier to national prominence overnight, with his smart-thinking pointed out on national television by Piers Morgan and saluted by managerial giant Jose Mourinho.

"You want a quick throw in, the ballboys need to know you want a quick throw in," said Mourinho. "The ball must arrive fast.

"In this game, the kid, very intelligent, very bright. I don't know if he's an Academy player or not, but the kid knew what he was going to do."

There's no excuse for Mourinho or anyone else now not knowing Cannonier is very much an Academy player for Liverpool.

Indeed, the young forward has this season been determined to forge a Reds reputation as someone who puts the ball into the back of the net rather than throwing it on from the sidelines.

The 17-year-old has netted 12 goals in 10 competitive outings, scoring nine in six matches alone in the U18 Premier League North.

Cannonier, who joined Liverpool at under-12 level having switched from his hometown club Leeds United, has long been touted as one to watch by those working at the Academy.

He scored this first U18s goal in a friendly a few months after his Barcelona intervention, before being fast-tracked to the squad 12 months later.

However, despite four goals in eight outings, his season was hampered by first an ankle injury and then a hamstring complaint that meant he could play no part as his team-mates won through to the FA Youth Cup final where they were beaten 2-1 by Aston Villa.

Small wonder, then, Cannonier's determination to make up for lost ground this campaign, his hat-trick in the 5-0 win over Manchester United the highlight thus far.

“Oakley has started the season really well, but it hasn’t surprised me,” says U18s coach Marc Bridge-Wilkinson. “I’ve worked with him since he was 14 and he always done well.

“The only problem has been that, because of injury, he hasn’t been able to play an awful lot.

"Oakley is a really good player. We’re fortunate that we are going to see him play and injury-free, hopefully.

“None of us at the Academy are surprised by his start. We are really pleased and proud of him and hope he can continue to progress.”

This season has already seen Cannonier test himself at a higher level. He made two brief substitute appearances in the UEFA Youth League clashes with AC Milan and Porto, and can expect further minutes throughout the group stage.

And, with a little more composure, he could easily have netted during a late cameo for a Liverpool U21 side in their EFL Trophy defeat at Bolton Wanderers on Tuesday.

The progress of Cannonier - a boyhood Liverpool fan - has already seen him rewarded with a first professional contract in July, tying him to the club for the next three years.

"I think he would rather be remembered as the Oakley Cannonier that plays today," says Bridge-Wilkinson, recalling the teenager's Barcelona intervention.

"He scores goals, creates chances and threatens the back line.

"It’s nice to be known for other things, but I think he would rather be known for playing football than being on the side of it."

With Liverpool U23s missing a natural number nine as Layton Stewart recovers from the cruciate ligament injury suffered in February, the expectation is Cannonier could be given a run in the higher age group in the coming months.

And, given his outstanding form in recent months, few would be surprised if the youngster once again takes his chance.[/article]
Didn't Mourinho make that comment during the game? Bit harsh from the Journo there. I don't think many people would have known he was on our books, they usually are though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom